Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #1  
Covered in Cat Hairs

S/C/G: 298/249.5/170

Height: 168cm

Default Major takeout cravings!

Hi you guys!

I'm really struggling at the moment with my cravings for nice takeout food I feel like I could eat 50 of each kind of takeout and still have room. I shouldn't be whining 'cause i've come so far and done so well and if I give in I will mess up so much hard work!

.... but I want it so bad.

What do you do to get rid of cravings?

I've drank 2 liters of water, have chewing gum and eaten an apple. Not working!

Last edited by MsTibbles; 02-09-2016 at 04:50 PM.
MsTibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #2  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Arrrrrgh...cravings. Evil little buggers aren't they?

Different things help for me depending on the day.

-White-knuckle it and wait it out. Yes, they eventually go away but sometimes it can take a while.

-Do some searches and find recipes that fit within your food plan that will come close to the flavors or textures you're craving. Sometimes if it's been a long while since I've had a food that I crave, something that tastes "close enough" will satisfy.

-For me, trying just a small taste doesn't work for cravings. I can handle small tastes generally but if it's a food I'm really craving at the moment, my off switch doesn't seem to work. You might be different and just a bite of whatever it is you want may suffice.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

The big picture perspective is this.

Takeout tastes nice but makes you look and feel like cr@p.

If you just eat healthy foods, it will take a little time but soon you will start to look and *feel* better.

And in a little more time healthy foods start to taste great and you will start to crave them instead.

Just eat healthy and hold on for your body and mind to make the switch.

Note that eating healthy here does not mean keep eating less. It could mean eat more but healthy stuff if you are craving, not takeout cr@p.

Add an avocado to your lunch. Or eat some nuts. Or a filet of salmon.

Just don't default to junk.

Last edited by IanG; 02-09-2016 at 07:00 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

What Vickie & Ian said^^^ I keep my Chinese menu for recipe ideas. I also do my own pizza from sauce to dough and my own wings. I bought an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) which is fantastic in cooking leaner cuts of beef until tender while locking in flavor.....Mongolian beef, orange beef, etc. I've also done Chinese walnut chicken and bourbon chicken. I use steamed brown rice as well. You can still have "takeout" with a lot less calories if you make it yourself.
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #5  
Covered in Cat Hairs

S/C/G: 298/249.5/170

Height: 168cm

Thanks so much for the responses you guys.

I white-knuckled it and i'm glad I did 'cause I feel wonderful today! I've eaten well and I'm having chicken broth with hash browns for dinner and it's going to be lush!

I really appreciate the tips, thank you! I'll refer back when the nasty cravings return, which undoubtedly they shall I'll definitely try making my own as well. "Fakeaway" perhaps!

Thank you again! I'm back on track today.
MsTibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I have found some pretty great home made alternatives that are healthy but close enough to the food I want to satisfy the cravings. Pinterest is my best friend.

Some examples:
Found a healthy General Tso's
"Lo Mein" using spaghetti squash as noodles (surprisingly tasted amazing)
Cauliflower "fried rice"
Cauliflower crust (or sometimes whole wheat pita) w/ fresh diced tomatoes for sauce, low fat cheese and veggies.

If you are willing to put in the work you can find alternatives for when the cravings are too great to simply grin and bear. Then you can still feel awesome the next day!
AM02135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I follow my craving and try to enjoy the food as much as possible. Learning how to eat in moderation is the best thing I ever learned how to do. Losing the guilt and shame is the real secret to learning moderation.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Well done on whiteknuckling it!!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #9  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

What about homemade pizza or pad thai?

Congrats on having waited it through - you were so satisfied and proud of yourself after. I hope you can remember that feeling next time
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #10  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2"

Okay. I LOVE chinese food.
Don't completely deprive yourself, if you haven't had it in FOREVER, go buy one of those frozen Tai pei bowls or whatever. I have one in my freezer for next time I want chinese food.
To make it healthy, put it over a plate of broccoli, help yourself to some soy sauce.
That's what I would do!
Good luck!
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:56 AM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I love take out, drive through as much as anyone.

But in the spirit of the post.

Challenge yourself! To remake it in a healthier choice at home.

It can be done!

I found some amazing "dry" asian spice stuff!

A little cooking spray, sautee all the veg chicken, add a bit of spice a splash of low sodium soy sauce, good stuff!

A healthy burger, Mcdonalds, big mac sauce is mayo and 1000 island dressing, all can be made with fat free stuff. Lean burger or a a boca burger.

Fries, nuke the tater, then a bit of "Pam" spray, in a skillet or bake.

With a little thought, you can make most of your old faves, into lifestyle friendly food. That is yummy!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post

With a little thought, you can make most of your old faves, into lifestyle friendly food. That is yummy!
What kind of lifestyle are we talking here? Cooking spray? Fat free salad dressing? Boca burgers? This is a highly processed food diet, not any healthier than regular take out and highly dissatisfying which will just cause the eater to seek out the original eventually. I didn't know people were still trying to lose weight with stuff like that.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

I do copycat versions at home except I do not use "diet" foods. Been there, done that, and like Palestrina said, it's not very satisfying. I found that just by taking the time to make it myself, no excessive amounts of butter/oils (I'm using Irish butter, olive oil, grapeseed oil right now), sour cream, etc., and eating slowly allows me to have my cake and eat it too. I do not eat as much, I "appreciate" my food more, and am not filling my bod with GMOs and food-substitutes full of chemicals (I'm a former food scientist and it's not pretty ) I've lost weight and feel great. Plus, my ever-expanding garden has given me a source of exercise and organically raised veggies for the entire year. (I freeze and can responsibly.) I know some people can't do this, but there are farmers' markets just about everywhere as well as organic sections at the grocery.
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I think we are all different and what is satisfying to one, might not be so for the other. It's nice to hear suggestions from others, but in the end, we all have to do what works for us. We shouldn't be criticizing the choices of others.

I used to love Asian food, but DH does not. I craved it all the time and ate it every time the opportunity arose, when ordered out for lunch, etc. Now we go to a buffet regularly where they have an Asian Station. Because it's readily available, I rarely eat it. I only craved it when I couldn't have it.

I agree with Ian, that when you eat healthy foods consistantly, you begin to crave them, and lose your cravings for fast food, junk food, etc.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #15  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Well done on waiting it out! I find that most of the time my cravings go away overnight. However, if that craving lingers for a few days, it's usually better for me to just adhere to the craving, but I plan for it. Either I just get a small amount or I make sure it fits into whatever my plan is for the day. Alternatives usually just leave me hankering for the real thing.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote