Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #16  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You're absolutely right. I actually don't allow myself to feel confident because if I do, then I know that's my disease talking. I just take it one day at a time and I don't trust that I've "got this" because if I do, I'll slowly slip back into old habits that caused me a great deal of misery. I can appreciate that yoga instructor because I can see that with anything we do, we must have an open mind as well as a willingness to learn.

By the way, what's up with hardly anyone posting here? I'd think there would be more people wanting to to discuss food addiction.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #17  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
You're absolutely right. I actually don't allow myself to feel confident because if I do, then I know that's my disease talking. I just take it one day at a time and I don't trust that I've "got this" because if I do, I'll slowly slip back into old habits that caused me a great deal of misery. I can appreciate that yoga instructor because I can see that with anything we do, we must have an open mind as well as a willingness to learn.

By the way, what's up with hardly anyone posting here? I'd think there would be more people wanting to to discuss food addiction.
I kinda wonder the same thing luckymommy There are a fair number of viewers, so maybe it's yet to come. As for me, it's has been so helpful to discuss & share with you! As for slipping into the old habits---yes, i guess it's eternal vigilance. It's been humbling for me to recognize this.

Btw, do you ever get hooked on or have strong reactions to certain music?

Last edited by mars735; 07-30-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #18  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Helllooooo ladies. I didn't see this thread until today. I read all your posts and nodded my head so much and so vigorously that I'm dizzy. I belong in your club.

I'm going to randomly catch up with things you've discussed already:

Artificial sweeteners: I use stevia in my coffee. And I have the occasional diet soda as a mixer, but that's it. I haven't noticed any special sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, I just don't happen to eat any foods that use them.

Hellman's Mayo -- gaaaah. I used to eat a TON of it pre-veganhood, just loved that stuff and ate it voraciously. Specifically Hellman's, other mayo I didn't like very much. I don't know what secret ingredient was in there, but there was something! I do better with vegenaise, but still have to pay attention and I tend to make myself measure it out so I don't go too crazy. But it doesn't crazy call to me like the Hellman's did. On the topic of fats: I still have a problem with Smart Balance (like butter, only better) and I can't keep it in the house at all. Even now. But I'm totally fine with olive oil. No problems with guac or avocado either. I'm not afraid of fats, so I eat quite a bit of EVOO and guac.

Mars -- it is funny you mention music. I do have strong reactions to music, and actually consciously use music as a food replacement. Books, movies, and music -- I purposely "binge" on these items. Thankfully they aren't harmful for me. The worse thing that happens is that I constantly interject random movie quotes and song lyrics into conversations and people look at me very strangely. But I'm used to that.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #19  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Helllooooo ladies. I didn't see this thread until today. I read all your posts and nodded my head so much and so vigorously that I'm dizzy. I belong in your club.

I'm going to randomly catch up with things you've discussed already:

Artificial sweeteners: I use stevia in my coffee. And I have the occasional diet soda as a mixer, but that's it. I haven't noticed any special sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, I just don't happen to eat any foods that use them.

Hellman's Mayo -- gaaaah. I used to eat a TON of it pre-veganhood, just loved that stuff and ate it voraciously. Specifically Hellman's, other mayo I didn't like very much. I don't know what secret ingredient was in there, but there was something! I do better with vegenaise, but still have to pay attention and I tend to make myself measure it out so I don't go too crazy. But it doesn't crazy call to me like the Hellman's did. On the topic of fats: I still have a problem with Smart Balance (like butter, only better) and I can't keep it in the house at all. Even now. But I'm totally fine with olive oil. No problems with guac or avocado either. I'm not afraid of fats, so I eat quite a bit of EVOO and guac.
Welcome to another kindred spirit, Mrs Snark!
I had to get rid of all my toasted nuts, and the raw almonds are now in the car trunk. They don't trigger me to binge the way sweets do, but I sure have issues. I'm the same with you re olive oil, and oil in general, though La tourangelle Walnut oil is something that I could sip through a straw, but so far so good.

Forget anything butter-like--about as troublesome as Hellman's for me. And I can only remember one time in my life that the other half of an avocado made it through the night

Quote:
Mars -- it is funny you mention music. I do have strong reactions to music, and actually consciously use music as a food replacement. Books, movies, and music -- I purposely "binge" on these items. Thankfully they aren't harmful for me. The worse thing that happens is that I constantly interject random movie quotes and song lyrics into conversations and people look at me very strangely. But I'm used to that.

More on this later, I hope!. I find this topic really interesting. I've puzzled about my music reactions for a long long time, even asked therapists, and no one had a clue what I was talking about. Some music, once in a while, seems to provide a direct access to some way of thinking and feeling that is really intense, really 'present' for lack of a better term and it lasts for a few days. It's as if my internal editor, usually in overdrive, has been bypassed. Well, something like that. Think I'll volunteer for research

On to managing my next addiction today: I have an 8ft potted redwood tree that it desperately rootbound. It's been a feeding station & haven for the wild birds that i have been feeding after a bunch of pine trees were cut around my condo bldg. A kind native plant nursery worker is coming to rescue it. Somehow we are going to et it off my 3rd fl. balcony.

Last edited by mars735; 07-30-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #20  

Default Food Addict here...

Well, specifically sugar.

Anyone seen Dr. Robert Lustig's youtube video called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth"? (Search it, I'm not able to post the link...)

Also, Dr. Mark Hyman is an anti-sugar proponent. I appreciate the science behind how this substance (and processed foods) effects my neurochemistry.

So, I know this intellectually with my rational mind, but why can't I get a handle on my cravings? I've been on the 12 step path for over 3 years and have lost weight, but find the whole god-talk has pushed me into a wall. I like the structure and accountability, but...

Anyway.... best of luck on finding your way out of the maze of addiction.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #21  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

I just found this thread since it popped up on the main forum highlights. I belong here!

I am on my fourth weight loss journey and scared to death of a regain. sugar hasn't really been my thing. Well, i guess it all turns to sugar. Pizza, Taco Bell, nachos...

The problem is avoiding trigger foods while raising four kids. We make pizza every 1-2 weeks. At least it's homemade but still something I can eat and eat. There was some progress yesterday when I was able to abstain completely from the pizza. It seemed easier to not eat it than to limit my intake and this is new for me. I remember my husband picking up pizza and I told myself I wouldn't eat it. But the second it came through the door I lost control and ate it.

I am feeling in control lately but know that can change in a hurry. I'm glad I found this thread, focusing on the addiction aspect. I have to focus on the deeper issues if I'm going to make it.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaKarenina View Post

I've been on the 12 step path for over 3 years and have lost weight, but find the whole god-talk has pushed me into a wall. I like the structure and accountability, but...
Atheist here and that would bug me too. I'm glad you were able to get something out of it for the three years.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #23  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaKarenina View Post
Well, specifically sugar.

Anyone seen Dr. Robert Lustig's youtube video called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth"? (Search it, I'm not able to post the link...)

Also, Dr. Mark Hyman is an anti-sugar proponent. I appreciate the science behind how this substance (and processed foods) effects my neurochemistry.

So, I know this intellectually with my rational mind, but why can't I get a handle on my cravings? I've been on the 12 step path for over 3 years and have lost weight, but find the whole god-talk has pushed me into a wall. I like the structure and accountability, but...

Anyway.... best of luck on finding your way out of the maze of addiction.
Thanks AnnaKarenina. I'll look for Lustig's video. I read his best seller Fat Chance, and have heard him on radio talk shows--he's part of how I recognized what was going on for me. Also David Kessler's The End of Overeating. btw, did you know Lustig published a cookbook? I found it liberating to read that there IS something going on, it;s not just my imagination. Good news, bad news I guess, since addiction is so difficult to overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMom75 View Post
I just found this thread since it popped up on the main forum highlights. I belong here!

I am on my fourth weight loss journey and scared to death of a regain. sugar hasn't really been my thing. Well, i guess it all turns to sugar. Pizza, Taco Bell, nachos...

The problem is avoiding trigger foods while raising four kids. We make pizza every 1-2 weeks. At least it's homemade but still something I can eat and eat. There was some progress yesterday when I was able to abstain completely from the pizza. It seemed easier to not eat it than to limit my intake and this is new for me. I remember my husband picking up pizza and I told myself I wouldn't eat it. But the second it came through the door I lost control and ate it.

I am feeling in control lately but know that can change in a hurry. I'm glad I found this thread, focusing on the addiction aspect. I have to focus on the deeper issues if I'm going to make it.
Glad to see you over here CoolMom75! I read about the pizza on Daily Check In and thought, omg I would be all over that pizza! It's hard enough feeding myself and sticking to my plan, but I can't imagine doing it with the added temptations of being around and feeding a family. Smells can be triggering and nothing smells better than pizza. Sometimes I've breathed through my nose when I know something like that is coming.

Not plugging the book though I do go on about it but your experience of the pizza is a lot like what motivated David Kessler (cited above) to explore his own overeating. He brought a brownie into the house just to see if he could restrain himself. He could hardly stop thinking about it so he took himself out of the house. Problem solved, until he passed a bakery. He went right in and bought a brownie and ate it.

I totally agree about not having trigger foods--easier than regulating them. For many, including me, certain foods are stimulating rather than satisfying. Kessler's book goes into why this is so. It explains the biology of that feeling of wanting more more more when you have certain foods. I read it and it made sense but I didn't retain the details.

I think the fear of regaining is legit. But the fear is what will keep you vigilant and motivated. I find as soon as I relax and think I can handle myself, I get into trouble.

Last edited by mars735; 07-30-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #24  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Wowza! I'm glad more people are posting on this much-needed support thread. mars, I do have this (what I perceive as weird) relationship with music. My parents were both musicians so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but sometimes, when I listen to a song, I get completely immersed in it with my entire body and it becomes almost too much to take...but I thought maybe everyone has this sometimes. Also, I don't listen to music when I'm off the wagon. Now that I'm off, I LOVE to feel the music when I drive around town. I just try not to over-react and have people in cars next to me think I'm insane.

Regarding OA and God....I'd like to share my views. If someone didn't explain that OA can be done by anyone, atheists included, then that really makes me sad. Personally, I'm an agnostic and OA has recently changed my life (I'm only on Step 4). I just completed Step 3, which involves "God." To me, God = Higher Power = OA = the universe = truth. Basically, it has to do with reality, if that makes sense. I believe that I'm not God so I try not to focus on results and I try not to force people around me to do as I will, even if I have the best intentions (according to me, of course). It's about turning over your expectations over to someone/something else. I hope that clarifies things. It's a real shame when people are turned off by this program because they think it's religious, but I think the reason it works for me is because my Sponsor is also an agnostic and if that wasn't the case, perhaps I'd have a different experience.

I did watch Dr. Lustig's documentary on youtube, but at that time, I wasn't able to put it into action. I tried to cut back (yeah right) but that just didn't work. I had to really completely cut it out of my life. The only sugar I eat is in one serving of fruit per day. Flour is also a triggor for me.

Butter and oils, I keep in the house, but I'm still having a hard time eating healthy fats. I know I should and I do eat a handful of pistachios once in a while, but I need to increase my consumption. My hope is that once I reach my goal, I'll feel more comfortable with this challenge.

Anyway, welcome everyone! We have so much in common and even though some of our addictions are different, we really share a common understanding of our powerlessness over certain foods. I really appreciate you all posting here and I hope you continue to come here to post anything that's on your mind.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #25  

I'll check out the book. Thanks, Mars!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #26  
maintaining since 9/2013

luckymommy Thanks for clarifying that so....clearly! I think it was a sticking point in the back of my mind as well.

Just popping in again to add that I read someone on another thread say they were addicted to feeling stuffed. It's not always clear exactly which food or eating experience is addicting or triggering, is it... The words 'more more more' appear pretty regularly when we describe our experiences with our addictive foods. My dad would puzzle over this years ago, saying it was as if a switch went ON instead of off when he ate certain things he liked.

Last edited by mars735; 07-30-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #27  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Morning everyone!

Luckymommy - I understand how you are approaching the god part of OA. Makes sense! I imagine that in a group support setting alot about how this part is handled may have to do with the people around you. I think it is fantastic that you have found a group that you have gelled with! I think getting a great group and a really good sponsor must be key. By the way, your profile pic is the bomb!

Mars - On the addicted to feeling stuffed idea: I don't think I have that. I actually really dislike being overfull and uncomfortable, and I only ever get into that position eating trigger foods. I never get uncomfortably full eating big salads, or fresh fruit. Like, I've never eaten a whole watermelon, even though I really, really like watermelon. I stop eating it when I am satiated, I guess. But I have eaten a whole loaf of bread with butter and a whole jar of jam (with added sugar sprinkled on top of each slice!) -- and wow did I feel awful about half-way through that loaf. Didn't stop me from finishing it, though.

CooolMom - I can only imagine how much more complicated dealing with food issues is when you have a family to feed. I struggle with compatibility with my husband's eating style (and we have no kids and often don't even eat together!) and the occasional family gathering, so I just can hardly imagine the challenges you face on a daily (hourly!) basis.

I also often find it is simpler to not eat something than to try to eat it in a proper portion. If I am feeling at all weak in the moment, that is the strategy I go with.

AnnaKarenina - When I read about the millions and millions of dollars companies spend in order to make food hyper-palatable, well, it became obvious why I could never eat just two or three Doritos. And while I am still ultimately responsible for what goes in my mouth, I stopped thinking of myself as such a pathetically weak-willed person. Perhaps some of us are more susceptible to the tricks of food engineering.

On the personal challenges front, my husband brought home 2 different kinds of jelly last night, to be able to have PBJs as a fast lunches or late night snacks. I've put them waaaaaaay in the back of the fridge where I can't see them ever time I open the door.

But I know they are there. Lurking. Like fruity little gremlins.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 07-31-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #28  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Morning everyone!

On the personal challenges front, my husband brought home 2 different kinds of jelly last night, to be able to have PBJs as a fast lunches or late night snacks. I've put them waaaaaaay in the back of the fridge where I can't see them ever time I open the door.

But I know they are there. Lurking. Like fruity little gremlins.
Little fruity gremlins..... How about imagining something really noxious, like a layer of mold growing on top? Can you convinvce yourself it was there and DH or even factory scraped it off so might not be visible? Or things along that vein?

I'm with you mostly, re stuffing myself. I ate farm fresh cherry tomatoes yesterday that literally were as sweet as candy. Yet I ate a normal amount and was done. But actual candy? Nope, the only brakes there are the stuffed feeling, so maybe it's just that eating to the point of unpleasant over-fullness sends a counter message to the more more more part of us. Got to think this over...food for thought--where did that expression originate, lol?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #29  

I have some health problems and feel like I never get full. I have Crohn's disease and have had the whole large intestine removed and 24 inches of small. Some food goes right through me. Even when I used to have stomach cramps and constant diarrea I kept shoveling it in. I still binge for weeks at a time. Some of the problem is being nutrient deficient so I crave salt and fat.

I will go to 3 different drive throughs in a row to get my favorites. Like other posters, I love Hellmann mayo. I can eat 3 sandwiches and 4 bowls of cereal before noon and once I start I never stop.

I am trying to get control bu cutting out junk and processed foods. The chemical and additives seem to spur on this addiction. I am like you all and feel like I can't start or the downward spiral will happen,
Old 07-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #30  

Molly, You probably already have but getting checked over by your doctor and labwork to make sure you are getting the nutrition your body needs would be the best place to start. Maybe you needs some extra vitamins!

Next is just starting to transition to whole, unprocessed foods. You're right, the junk is like a drug. I'm to a point the fake foods taste nasty to me but I can still overeat my homemade stuff too.
Closed Thread