3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   I think I'm a binge eater. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/294729-i-think-im-binge-eater.html)

Sakai 04-13-2014 12:13 AM

I think I'm a binge eater.

I've been a member here for many many years. My weight has gone as high as 280 after pregnancy, and as low as 219, I've been working hard to get my weight down from the mid 240's as it is right now. (this seems to be a happy spot for my body, as it take effort to lose or gain anything out of the 40's)

Anyways.... I've always seen the binge threads and read a few but never thought I could offer any insight or experience as I never thought of myself as a binge eater.

That is until about 3 weeks ago when it suddenly hit me out of the blue that I eat as much as I possibly can on my weekends, mostly my sunday nights. Never fails that I cheat on my weekends, but normally it's not so bad. Sometimes it's just one bad meal, or a large desert that I wasn't going to have. But then, the few hours before going to bed on my sundays, I will tear the kitchen up looking for munches or a whole meal to make and eat.

I do eat when I'm bored and I try to keep myself busy on my weekends. I need to do something to keep me out of the kitchen on sunday nights. Maybe I'll take and extra long bath with a book or something.

Ah! so depressing to think I can't control myself. >.<

Brandis 04-13-2014 06:38 PM

Sakai,
I recently decided to do something about my binges and food addiction. I have known for a long time that I would binge but didn't think it was that big of a deal. After all, I have succeeded many times in getting to a normal weight. I would always joke with my friends and family about my food addiction. I don't really think it's a joke anymore. I don't like not being in control of my eating. I am totally convinced that I need to stop eating wheat and sugar in order to stop the cravings and obsessive thoughts about food. My favorite binge foods are all carb and sugar laden. I am also trying to be more mindful. Kind of like when you meditate( which I don't know if you do), if you catch yourself straying from the meditation, you just redirect your thoughts back to concentrating on your breathing. So when I feel the need to think about food, and that is always, I just remind myself that those are thoughts that are unpleasant. I don't want them, I don't need them, and I am not actually hungry. This is day three of no wheat and limited sugar. My mind is beginning to panic without my old favorites. However, I am not hungry. I just want to eat because food is and always will be my drug. I don't know what I am trying to say, other than here I am, like the third time on this site and the third time trying to lose the same 30 or 40 lbs. You are definitely not alone. I am going to succeed this time, and change my deadly relationship with food for good. You can do it too!

Sakai 04-13-2014 11:45 PM

Brandis,
I used to meditate long ago, I've been getting back into it. So I know what you mean about talking back to that little voice in the back of your head giving you feelings of wanting to eat.
I've too given up wheat. Mostly because my man has issues with wheat and it easier for him to just not have it in the house. So my wheat intake has dropped a lot, but I could do better.
I've also flirted with the idea of giving up sugar. Sweets are a big trigger for me, Especially things like ice cream and soda. I've gone months between an occasional soda treat and then suddenly this year have found myself drinking them many times a week and now craving them. This will lead to nowhere but down hill. @.@
After tonight it's my weekend and I'm going to try very hard not to cave in at the last minute. I know I can do it!

maddierep 04-14-2014 04:19 AM

I can relate. It is shocking that when i actually stop to check if i'm hungry, 2 times out of 3, I want to eat even when i'm really full.

I'm getting better at recognising hunger. Now I have to get better at being mindful as you say. To not eat even when i'm not hungry. i'm midway on my 4th month and i've lost 3 pounds so far. And its because i can't control my eating.

One day at a time. Let's see how i do today

DodgeThis 04-16-2014 05:43 PM

I think I've developed binge eating disorder as well. I'm considering seeking a professional opinion and advice, but something mentally seems to be stopping me. Has anyone here ever seen a therapist and gotten rid of the need to binge as a result? I am truly feeling out of control and really need to get a handle on the issue.

luckymommy 04-16-2014 05:54 PM

I have struggled with my weight for the last 27 years and over the last 10 years or so, I've finally realized that I'm an addict. In the last 2 1/2 weeks, I've cut all sugar (except for fruit) out of my diet, as well as all flour. I also am eating 3 good sized meals a day without any snacks at all. It was very hard and it sometimes still is, but I haven't binged and that's a huge deal for me. I just wanted to share in case it helps anyone else.

Yogini99 04-16-2014 05:56 PM

The book "Wheat Belly" talks about how some chemical in wheat actually attaches to opioid receptors in the brain. He says wheat is addictive.
I have found this to be true. Sugar also, is addictive for me.
When was the last time I ate too much chicken, salad, veggies.....never!

Kscott 04-17-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakai (Post 4983320)
I've been a member here for many many years. My weight has gone as high as 280 after pregnancy, and as low as 219, I've been working hard to get my weight down from the mid 240's as it is right now. (this seems to be a happy spot for my body, as it take effort to lose or gain anything out of the 40's)

Anyways.... I've always seen the binge threads and read a few but never thought I could offer any insight or experience as I never thought of myself as a binge eater.

That is until about 3 weeks ago when it suddenly hit me out of the blue that I eat as much as I possibly can on my weekends, mostly my sunday nights. Never fails that I cheat on my weekends, but normally it's not so bad. Sometimes it's just one bad meal, or a large desert that I wasn't going to have. But then, the few hours before going to bed on my sundays, I will tear the kitchen up looking for munches or a whole meal to make and eat.

I do eat when I'm bored and I try to keep myself busy on my weekends. I need to do something to keep me out of the kitchen on sunday nights. Maybe I'll take and extra long bath with a book or something.

Ah! so depressing to think I can't control myself. >.<

Have you tried working out on your weekends and Sunday nights? When you think of food pick up a couple of hand weights, walk around the block a couple of times, jog in place, stay busy with a craft you like to do, keep your mind busy with something, and you'll soon train your brain that it's got to do something else other than eating when bored or under other types of emotional stress.

Brandis 04-17-2014 08:22 PM

So today is day 7 of no wheat and only fruit sugars. I have not binged one time. NOT ONCE! That is a huge deal for me. I am not even eating low carb. On the days I have tracked, it is usually around 110-120g. I am also eating between 1500-1600 calories without even trying. I have plenty of energy and I am not overeating at all. In fact, I haven't even eaten all of a few meals. ME- the one that has issues with eating everything on the plate and going back for more. No seconds. No unplanned snacking. The closest to intuitive eating I have ever come in my life. I feel almost liberated. No persistent thoughts of food fantasies I haven't been able to resist. No guilt after binges on things I didn't even want. I think I might finally be able to do this forever. I am hopeful! An addict in recovery. An addict that didn't fully understand the nature of the addiction. I walked right past cupcakes and cake, cookies, sugary popcorn and chocolate covered pretzels- every day this week my classmates were sharing some "forbidden" item. I didn't even want them!!!!!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel I was too fat to waddle out of before.