3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   Distracting myself from eating . . . (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/294639-distracting-myself-eating.html)

doingmybest 04-09-2014 11:43 PM

Distracting myself from eating . . .

I recently had surgery, so I am stuck at home for a while and can't exercise or drive.

In order to keep myself from going to the refrigerator all day, I have discovered a few ways to try to distract myself from eating, especially on a day like today when I feel like bingeing. These don't always work perfectly, but I have to find ways to not eat.

1. I get on 3FCs and look at my current weight and goal weight. Then I read everyone's posts to keep myself focused.

2. I go to the farthest part of the house from the refrigerator. Once I am physically away from the kitchen, I focus on other things and mostly forget about food.

3. This may sound weird, but taking a shower or bath, or even wiping a damp washcloth on my face takes my mind off of eating and is very relaxing to me.

4. I place a heating pad on my stomach. For some reason, it calms me.

5. I listen to soft or classical music. Again, it helps me forget about food.

6. Brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth with an antibacterial rinse has been very effective at discouraging me from eating or drinking.

7. I spend a lot of time time cuddling or playing with my cats.

8. I will talk to my DH or call a friend.

9. I drink more liquids, especially water. This fills me up and is sometimes all that I really needed.

10. Sleeping longer, or improving the quality of my sleep, has kept me from eating due to fatigue.

Has anyone else discovered ways to avoid eating?

TirAsleen 04-09-2014 11:49 PM

I have started doing meditation..like guided meditation with apps. It helps me to get my mind clear. Still struggling though so I will continuously check back in here.

LittleMissNiki 04-10-2014 03:05 AM

hi how r u?i do stuff like puzzles or sillybthings like cleaning or just somethng simple like listen to kusic or watch a film!well done on ur weight loss so far and hope ur knee gets better :-)

Palestrina 04-10-2014 07:58 AM

I'm at home taking care of my toddler in the daytimes, work at nights. So being at home with full access at all times is so difficult. Mostly we go out on walks, or I clean the house, mop, vaccum, laundry etc. I do chi gong and meditation and play with my son. If I'm hungry I eat though, it really has helped me to figure out whether I want to eat because I'm hungry or because I'm bored and it's gotten easier to tell the difference. So I "surf the craving" so to speak and let it fester. If it goes away great, but if it becomes more intense and I'm hungry I eat.

doingmybest 04-11-2014 03:20 PM

Thanks everyone for your posts! You have given me some great ideas.

Hi LittleMissNiki: I am healing nicely. Thanks so much for your comments!

lin43 04-11-2014 05:14 PM

The sleep point is so important. I have a great work schedule, so I often have the time to take an afternoon nap. Sometimes, when I find myself thinking about food even when I'm not hungry, I will ask myself if what I'm really feeling is tired. Oftentimes the answer is "yes" (I go to bed at 9:00 or 10:00 and usually get up around 4:00 or 4:15, so I'm often tired). Today, for example, I was so lethargic for most of the morning. I came home, took a two-hour nap, and I feel like a new person. I had eaten a nice breakfast (goat cheese & veggie omelet w/ buttered multigrain toast), and after my nap, I knew I could make it to dinner without eating anything else----that's how good I felt. IMHO, the importance to getting enough sleep cannot be overstated.

Also, last year, I took up sewing as a hobby, and almost anything I do with sewing takes at least two hours. When I'm engrossed in that, I don't think about food.

I often have an espresso in the afternoon (or occasionally a homemade cappuccino), and that really takes off the edge if I feel I really want to eat something.

Finally, if the weather is nice (like it is today where I am), I'll take my dogs for another walk (they get three a day--the spoiled darlings!). Just getting out into the sunshine and fresh air takes my mind off food.

PumpkinField 04-14-2014 11:50 AM

Hobbies

I find working on sewing projects, scrap booking or some other do it your self project helps me stay away from food. When I get in my craft room I forget about everything. I almost forgot dinner last night!

Alita 04-21-2014 04:04 PM

I'm struggling again at the moment, coming on this forum again hopefully will distract me from eating. I've been feeling stressed/depressed so I've been eating more. Having a shower, reading, taking a nap, exercise in the evening which is when I tend to eat the most...I've put on nearly 10lbs since Christmas and it just keeps going up, so I have to try again, seems like it never ends :/