Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #1  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Default *Help* Sweet food smells crawling in the neighborhood.

I need to vent and ask an advice about this. I've learnt that I can get an advice for virtually everything on 3fc.
This has been a recurrent problem with me throughout the years. As I'm typing this right now, I'm surrounded by the sweet smells of some cooking going on in the neighborhood. Something sugary and buttery. UGH! I don't need this this early morning.
When I'm not trying to lose weight, these smells just drive me to go and stuff my face with something similar...or anything at all. I remember when I used to pass in front of a bread bakery everyday *sigh*. I would just have to walk inside and buy me some bread even though I didn't need it nor felt hungry.
I realized it was a problem when I was with a thin friend one day and she asked me: "Must you eat something JUST because you can smell it ?" Well yes! And I feel so guilty for being so weak and for allowing food to control my life that much!
Do you relate? How do YOU cope with smelling good and heavy food odors entering and filling your house when you're trying to leave lean?
I'm virtually right now. ***PLEASE HELP ME***
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 138.6/122.4/120

Height: 5ft 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirti4thirty View Post
I need to vent and ask an advice about this. I've learnt that I can get an advice for virtually everything on 3fc.
This has been a recurrent problem with me throughout the years. As I'm typing this right now, I'm surrounded by the sweet smells of some cooking going on in the neighborhood. Something sugary and buttery. UGH! I don't need this this early morning.
When I'm not trying to lose weight, these smells just drive me to go and stuff my face with something similar...or anything at all. I remember when I used to pass in front of a bread bakery everyday *sigh*. I would just have to walk inside and buy me some bread even though I didn't need it nor felt hungry.
I realized it was a problem when I was with a thin friend one day and she asked me: "Must you eat something JUST because you can smell it ?" Well yes! And I feel so guilty for being so weak and for allowing food to control my life that much!
Do you relate? How do YOU cope with smelling good and heavy food odors entering and filling your house when you're trying to leave lean?
I'm virtually right now. ***PLEASE HELP ME***
i know exactly how u feel-the smells of nice foods drives me insane especially when im not eating them as trying to lose weight!i cant watch ppl eat food im craving either-it makes me jealous and angry 2bh!and i have a v sensitve sense of smell 2!
its now turned in2 mind over matter 4me i literally just try ignore it n keep myself busy-at least yday the amazing smell coming from the kitchen was actually my healthy vegetable soup..!and i enjoyed it so much-who gets excited over veg soup..?!just me then..lol!
in the end all the hard work will b worth it-im looking ahead to end of month wen i will b treating mum to dinner so got that to look forward to-then a week after that its my boyfs bday and then a few days after that we r goin abroad for the summer!goals r worth it!keep going and dont give up :-)
LittleMissNiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #3  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

I have that too. I have found a couple of things that help. a) if it is something like chips or popcorn and someone opens a bag, I remember all the additives I can't easily pronounce e.g. maltodextrine in them and I am disgusted. b) if it is proper food, I try to have something minty nearby eg. gum to drown the smell or I wash my teeth. Not always successful but there are enough victories
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #4  
Blessed Person Here

Oh thanks guys!! Really. I'm gonna try those. I like the idea of having something minty at hand. That might help.
This morning's smells have literally drilled a whole in my stomach.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 138.6/122.4/120

Height: 5ft 5"

just dont give up and believe in urself-i had my weekly weigh in this morn and 'only' lost 1lb and 1/2 inch off my waist for the weeks results which upset me at first as it seems like worthless result but then i stopped and thought-better than a gain and it could b im gaining muscle which will then start to burn fat so its better than nothing-now going to use my frustration in my workout to release and vent!
also going back to food smells-take pleasure in the nice smells of the healthy food ur eating and i also do the thing where u think if the bad stuff in junk food-not worth it!
keep going!:-)
LittleMissNiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #6  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

This was an issue for me when I started my current program last November. During my scheduled 9 a.m. snack of a protein drink, fellow staff in the employee break room were toasting raisin-cinnamon toast or bagels or having hash browns. I just about died until I decided to just breathe in deeply and enjoy the delicious smells, knowing that enjoying the scent doesn't cost me a single calorie.

I've also learned that giving in to this sort of emotionally-driven craving is still a choice. Feeling pleasure or feeling misery over sweet scents is a choice, believe it or not. There was a time I would have never, ever made that statement but I'm learning to think differently about my relationship with food.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #7  
Blessed Person Here

I swear there's a neighbor of mine who knows I'm on diet and who has decided to be my downfall!
Sweet food smells welcome me every single morning in my house!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #8  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

But wow, you are already down to 169! That's pretty awesome. I can't wait to get there.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #9  
Blessed Person Here

Yes! Down to 168 this morning despite wicked neighbor! LOL