3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Chicks in Control

Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

An approach that might stop binging and keep you in control? Perhaps

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #31

I have a coworker. About my height. He has always known me as bigger than him. He saw me losing weight. He has been around 250 for a long time. He saw me get to him then go past him. He would come to my desk and ask what I was doing. I would tell him. And give him the science. Oh I could never give up bread he'd say. Or this thing or that thing. And yes my coworker is real.

For me to be successful this time I had to do a lot of research. I had to go beyond standard medical and government advice. I had for decades eaten a lot of whole grains because they were 'good for me'.

I found out in reality that grains tend to make a) many people continually hungry b) have very high glycemic indexes really raising blood sugar c) can impact metabolism to the point where people store calories as fat and give up their fat calories very reluctantly d) have absolutely nothing essential that can't be gotten from other foods with a lot fewer calories and foods that don't have all the negatives above.

This info was critical for me to succeed. I needed to know the science to give me extra fuel to change. The Mark's Daily Apple post I linked to above is excellent place to start. Then maybe Fathead the movie on YouTube. I used it and am succeeding. I am helping my family and friends succeed. And I post here to help strangers succeed. To give them the info I didn't have. And that also is what it is. I could say something about attitude of others here but their words are their words and that also is what it is.

BTW my co-worker is pre-diabetic and still won't give up carbs. He even exercises way more than I do. His weight will not budge. I told him his diet is setting up his body to store fat not burn it. Me by eliminating grains and other 'junk carbs' and getting my carbs from veggies and beans and nuts have set my body up to burn fat when I exercise. I can't speak for anyone else on the planet but I'd rather use the science of food and my body to succeed, not fight them.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340

Last edited by diamondgeog : 02-11-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #32

S/C/G: 215/199/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Wannabeskinny..your the only person that said it is 'abnormal' addiction. It is the most normal thing in the world. Grains are HIGHLY addictive. I am just pointing out they are unhealthy. I never said they were not addictive, I said the exact opposite.

Dude! You're the one who said that humans eating grains is abnormal (and I quote) "Human beings are simply not designed to eat grains."

You're the only one who said grains will kill you faster than cigarettes. I've no idea. Especially for an individual. How many cigarettes, how many carbs, have they developed diabetes yet, etc. I am just pointing out they are unhealthy.

And I quote "Yes I am linking eating grains, especially in the amount the government currently tells you to do, like smoking. It won't kill you right away....but it will lead to a lot of bad stuff and eventually it will sooner than you would otherwise."

Feel free to have as many Cheetos as you'd like. Me? I wannabehealthy.
You can't say something and then say you never said it. And trust me, you don not have a monopoly on wanting to be healthy. And talking to everyone as if you hold the secret to life is no way to be taken seriously. I've read all the same articles, I've done all the same research, I've watched all the same movies and documentaries that you have. Believe it or not there are other people here who know how to read and research on the internet. But scaremongering people who are already scared and frightened is the opposite of inspirational.

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth
Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #33

Quote:
I have a coworker. About my height. He has always known me as bigger than him. He saw me losing weight. He has been around 250 for a long time. He saw me get to him then go past him. He would come to my desk and ask what I was doing. I would tell him. And give him the science. Oh I could never give up bread he'd say. Or this thing or that thing. And yes my coworker is real. And right there, you made a judgement. He was being honest about what he can or can't do and you and automatically you one upped him.

For me to be successful this time I had to do a lot of research. I had to go beyond standard medical and government advice. I had for decades eaten a lot of whole grains because they were 'good for me'. I'm way ahead of you here, I probably figured out this information wayyyyyy before you did, and many others around here did too.

I found out in reality that grains tend to make a) many people continually hungry b) have very high glycemic indexes really raising blood sugar c) can impact metabolism to the point where people store calories as fat and give up their fat calories very reluctantly d) have absolutely nothing essential that can't be gotten from other foods with a lot fewer calories and foods that don't have all the negatives above. Personal choice!!

This info was critical for me to succeed. I needed to know the science to give me extra fuel to change. The Mark's Daily Apple post I linked to above is excellent place to start. Then maybe Fathead the movie on YouTube. I used it and am succeeding. I am helping my family and friends succeed. And I post here to help strangers succeed. To give them the info I didn't have. And that also is what it is. I could say something about attitude of others here but their words are their words and that also is what it is. As long as you've convinced your family then what does it matter that you convince strangers? Trust me, we all have this info that you think is hidden. And if we're talking attitude then I don't find yours impressive.

BTW my co-worker is pre-diabetic and still won't give up carbs. Still???? He even exercises way more than I do. His weight will not budge. None of your businessI told him his diet is setting up his body to store fat not burn it. I bet he doesn't come by your desk much these daysMe by eliminating grains and other 'junk carbs' and getting my carbs from veggies and beans and nuts have set my body up to burn fat when I exercise. I can't speak for anyone else on the planet but I'd rather use the science of food and my body to succeed, not fight them.
At the end of the day, nobody wants to be told that they are going to die, or stay fat, or that their diet is wrong. People come here to get support, find information and not be judged for whether they use it or not. Others have tried to explain to you that restricting food or carbs or whatever causes them to binge but then you just judge them for that too and tell them that it was hard for you in the beginning too but that you stuck it out and "look at me now!" I know all there is to know about carbs and grains, I'm not obtuse or stupid. But you know what? At my kids birthday party I'm going to have a piece of cake. Because I'm not trading in one kind of eating disorder for another.

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth
Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #34

You simply don't know how to read. I am tired of it. I said human beings weren't DESIGNED to eat grains. However people do a lot of things they aren't designed to do. Even though we aren't designed to do it they are very addictive and pleasurable. We've also been told they were good for us. I said eating them were unhealthy. You are the only one calling them 'abnormal'. I am proud of my words here and as I said your words and attitude are what they are.

And believe it or not I don't post just for you. Since you know everything about carbs then maybe this thread wasn't for you. Of course say as much as you want. But don't make the thread about me. If other people are turned off by my posts why don't you let them decide for themselves? I could say a lot more but I won't because I think this thread is important and I want it to be about ideas.

BUT. BTW HOW DARE YOU? I never had a one up attitude on my coworker. NEVER. I want him to be healthy and I don't judge his carb attitude at all. He said he didn't want to give them up. I responded well it helped me a lot and if you ever decide to I think it would help you as well. And I am here to help whenever you want. I've never gone to his desk to talk weight he comes to my desk. He keeps asking how I did it, not me. And he continues to come by. I also told him I never thought I could give them up also. I was shocked I could. I told him there is a hard transition period and it gets better. I have giving nothing but encouragement. I am honest about carbs. And he has thanked me for it.

You really need to chill.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 02-11-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #35

Quote:
...I think this thread is important and I want it to be about ideas.
Just not my ideas

Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #36

You're are ideas are fine and welcome. Just not your personal attacks.

I've never criticized someone overweight. I've lived it. I KNOW how addictive carbs are. I think it is helpful for people to know it is possible to give them up and a real life example of how that can change lives. I was a five fries refill guy at Red Robin. 5. So I want to give hope. I've not only been where many are now but even beyond it. And unlike you I didn't know this info.

Any maybe there are other people like me who didn't. I don't go into threads and go I already knew that, why are you posting. Everyone knows that. Seems to me what you are doing.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #37

There is a difference between presenting information objectively and scaremongering. You're not conveying a sense of hope, you're conveying a sense of superiority. When I quoted you directly you accused me of not being able to read - presumably because you believe that if I were indeed capable of reading then I would automatically agree with your arguments. Notice that I never ever disagreed with the facts, I only disagree with your opinion of the facts... and if you compare eating a potato to the suffering that smokers have to endure then you're just pulling things out of thin air, this argument has nothing to do with facts, it's simply an observation and a poor one at that.

Do you allow your kids to eat grains? Has everyone in your family converted to paleo? And I'll go ahead and say it - I question your ability to eat like this forever. Sorry, but my experience with restriction is that it leads to binges - I'm not a scientist but I've been restricting and gaining for a long time so either I'm not doing it right or I must not want to be healthy like you do right? So just like you question my ability to lose weight while still eating grains I question your ability to avoid grains forever.

Last edited by Wannabeskinny : 02-11-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #38

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
I KNOW how addictive carbs are.
Not for everyone. I'm 57 years old and maintain my weight on 2,000 calories a day, with macronutrients roughly following the food pyramid (about 300 g carbs). I've always been able to lose weight without any trouble, and no plateaus, simply by reducing my caloric intake to 1,500/day. Knock on wood, I have no health symptoms whatsoever -- no joint or muscle pains, headaches, or digestive ailments of any kind. I feel exactly the way I did at 20. My lab values are all fine, too.

I'm not cynical enough to believe that governments and medical associations throughout North America are deliberately depriving the public of hard evidence that grains are harmful. I rather believe that the evidence you propound as gospel is mixed at best. There may well be some individuals for whom carbs/grains are physiologically deleterious and/or psychologically toxic, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to stay away, any more than the existence of peanut allergy should lead me to avoid peanuts.

F.

p.s. And if you'll forgive the boast, my belly is as flat as they come. I think the title "Wheat Belly" is disingenuous because it implies that eating wheat causes fat to settle around the belly, when in truth it's impossible to spot gain or spot reduce. Each body deposits and loses fat in a preordained sequence particular to that body. If you overate on a Paleo diet, you'd gain the weight in exactly the same places as if you overate wheat.

Last edited by freelancemomma : 02-11-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #39
Eat Big to Stay Small

S/C/G: 160+/116/114

Height: 5'5

Are you in sales, diamondgeog?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/krampus
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #40

I won't go back for two main reasons. 1 I have discovered tasty delicious food that isn't junk carb food. 2 I am so much less hungry. I can't speak to anyone else but my relationship to carbs had messed up my metabolism to the point I stored fat I didn't burn it. But hey Wannabe thanks for the 'encouragement' that I will go back and likely die before my daughter turns 15.

Freelance I posted how people are different. And in fact I've changed to more like you. I now burn carbs and burn fat. So not only can you change your hunger you can change your metabolism. People are at different points in how their insulin and cells operate.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #41

I'm not Paleo. I am just trying to eliminate junk carbs/sugar from food and drink. That is all. No extremes, no magic. And no note in sales.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 02-11-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #42

I can't eat grains. I liked them a lot. I don't miss them now. They make my belly huge and me very lethargic and bad blood work. I can drink socially, some people can't. I wish you every success Wannabe with whatever you try. I personally can't have much grains and succeed.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #43

Height: 5'3.25''

Its not the issue of the the content of the advice - plenty of people post the same ideas/advice and that is fine. Its an issue of the poster.

I listened to my gut and it said "You could do with less of me."

B00ty-Underwear pic as of March 2014 NSFW
Old 02-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #44

But I can eat fries and even potato chips now and no cravings. So in that sense I guess not like some people with alcohol problems. But I had to do my transition period to get here.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #45
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/152/???

Height: 5'5"

Nobody likes to be evangelized to, and nobody likes to be told "you're doing it wrong."

Moreover we are all so different, so differently wired and conditioned, with such different preferences and lifestyles and other constraints, that the only true secret to weight loss is that there is no one true secret.

The only thing we can do, each of us, is do our own science experiments and figure out what will work best for us as individuals. In approaching that process, it is helpful to hear what has worked for others. I am glad that the discussion seems to be simmering down to that level of "this has worked for me" - because see my first paragraph.

For every person who has binges triggered by carbs or weight loss slowed by carbs you can find someone who has no trouble with carbs at all.

Myself, I lost 120 pounds (and thus far kept 4/5 of it off; I am working off a bit of a regain now) without ever explicitly restrictingcarbs. My on-plan days frequently include some bread and lots of fruit, and more occasionally rice and potatoes. My binges are not triggered by carbs; they are not related to specific cravings for this or that food item. In that way my experience as a binger is quite different from some others' - but probably not different from all others.

That has been my experience and I've learned a lot about myself and my patterns from 4+ years of my own science experiments and observations on my body, my preferences, my triggers, my struggles, my needs. I highly encourage everyone to do their own science experiments. Even though I haven't needed to go low-carb to achieve what I wanted to achieve, I strongly encourage anyone else to try it for a month or two and see how it feels, both how it makes your body feels and how it feels as a lifestyle. After all, lots of folks have found it beneficial, and the only way to know if it would be for you too is to try.
Make the best choice I can make, with every choice. Remember that the temptation in front of me is not the last of its kind that I will ever see; say "I'll pass today." Say "no!" to my whiny inner five-year-old.

Last edited by carter : 02-11-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.