3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Chicks in Control

Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

An approach that might stop binging and keep you in control? Perhaps

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #16

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Like I said I don't disagree with most of what you say. Just saying that I'm not in a war mentality at the moment. It's enough that I worry about my own needs for a change. And I've always fed my family really well and I don't expect my son to wind up with the same food issues I have. I find that my way of doing things is helping my metabolism so I can't speak for anyone else and can't understand why you feel the need to. We all have access to the same information and need to go about it in our own ways. I vote with my dollars and I'm aware what the industry does. But aside from worrying about myself, my family, my spending habits, being involved in my school system and being aware of the dangers of processed food there's not much more that I can do. And personally while I can attest to feeling better when I go easy on the wheat I find that villainizing food damages my relationship to food and causes me to overeat. I need more peace in my life and less war.

“If you try to lose weight by shaming, depriving and fearing yourself, you will end up shamed, deprived, and afraid.” Geneen Roth
Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
diamondgeog

Fair enough.

I would disagree about the information part though. Main stream media and many, probably most doctors, give the standard USDA pyramid as advice. Sadly American Heart Association and American Diabetes Association does things like endorse Subway. You see little heart symbols next to Subway sandwiches. With processed meats and breads not very heart healthy.

I've learned a lot the last 9 months. In fact I've unlearned most of what I thought I knew about nutrition, especially fats. But also carbs of course. If everyone knew there would be no need for 3FC would there be? We'd all be healthy weights with no heart disease, diabetes, dementia, or cancer.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 02-09-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
Less of a Better Me

S/C/G: 207.4/ticker/146

Some people do well on lower carbs. Some people do well by eliminating gluten. I was curious enough about to try both approaches. In fact, I did a strict 30 days elimination of gluten because I wanted to know if I was sensitive. As it turned out, I'm not sensitive to gluten and I'm not really sensitive to carbs either. I tend to eat a fairly low to moderate carb amount (about 100g a day of net carbs). Truthfully, I don't notice any real difference in how I feel or in my weight loss efforts if I lower carbs or not. I tend to eat lower carb because I have severely limited refined carbs and carbs with added sugar. I do that because I don't want empty calories. I'm also not at all sensitive to gluten. I'm glad I checked all this out. Going on a low carb diet for awhile did make it easier to virtually eliminate the refined carbs and added sugar so I'm glad that I did it. On the other hand, I'm now back to eating a moderate carb diet with mostly fruits/veggies/whole grains and I feel fine doing that for me.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #19

S/C/G: 150/125/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Just saw this on twitter BTW. Was looking at Tim Noakes tweets. Someone said but there are so many 'skinny' Chinese.

This is his reply "@ProfTimNoakes: Not any more. China now country with largest number of obese, hypertensive, diabetic, heart disease sufferers on planet."

http://www.dietdoctor.com/science

It's not carbs per se that is making Chinese people fat. How can it when the Chinese staple food has been rice for a long, long time?

The rise in obesity in developing countries is caused by a multitude of factors, not simply one single cause. Chief causes are:

1) an increased consumption of Western style high calorie, low nutrient foods such as fast foods, fried foods and sugar as we conventionally know it by (chocolates, cakes, sweets etc) as well as saturated fat and salt.

2) a general increase in volume of food (any kind of foods e.g. rice, meats, fruits, vegetables) thus giving rise to an increase in calorie consumption.

3) an increase in sedentary lifestyle.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #20
FIGHTER

S/C/G: 296/TICKER/178

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Fair enough.

I've learned a lot the last 9 months. In fact I've unlearned most of what I thought I knew about nutrition, especially fats. But also carbs of course. If everyone knew there would be no need for 3FC would there be? We'd all be healthy weights with no heart disease, diabetes, dementia, or cancer.
There are so many other reasons you can get cancer other than foods. So so many. That I know for a fact because of my job. The others, well, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that food is not the sole cause of many of those. I also worked with the MR population, about 90% of people with downs syndrome after the age of 50 unfortunately are the victims of dementia. It wasn't noticed in years past because they weren't living all that long, but now with advanced medicine its painfully obvious that their chromosome disorder is affecting them as a double whammy they get dementia in their older ages.

Alright, besides that. You can educate anyone of proper nutrition. Low carb is great. Moderation is key to it all. There's that fancy food pyramid we all saw growing up. The fact is we all suffer from free will! I was a little chunky in my late high school years but after? I ballooned up in my first years of my 20s.

Food, in the moment, makes you feel good. I love food! I just had to start loving it in a new way. I eat clean now. I check the ingredients to everything, I am a walking billboard to my friends and family about the sheer amount of poo you can ingest without knowing what you're doing!

There are so many approaches to dieting, it's really a 'to each his own' sort of thing. I've been counting calories, but also paying very close attention to what is IN my food. So its not counting the calories to some fat free pringles (what are those even MADE of?!) its calories of foods close to the earth.

There's no end all, be all to this process. I think you can take whatever approach to losing weight, especially if you are morbidly obese (like me!) but you still at the end of the road, in maintenance land, need to learn to eat clean and eat well. Food pyramid type of stuff, we all on some level know what we SHOULD be doing, we just have to flip the switch and do it.

I don't think I'm following a gimmick. I take into account what I'm eating, what a serving is, and what my food actually is. I can't do much better than that!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
diamondgeog

100 grams is fairly low carb. Remember the recommendation is 300 grams. Most Americans get much more than 100 net carbs. I am not Atkins I'd say that is pretty low carb. Agree with the moderation comment.

Yes no one approach fits all. But I think the number one worse advice, one most overall harmful thing for the most people has clearly been carbs at the bottom of the food pyramid and scaring people from fat.

So, to me, focusing on the number one (not the only thing) has a lot of value. And yes I am sure there are people here who might even be able to have 300 grams of carbs a day and not get very overweight or get diabetes. There are pack a day smokers who live to 90 and don't get lung cancer. But obviously as a nation we are doing VERY badly with carbs on the bottom of the food pyramid.

Whole wheat bread has glycemic index of 70 BTW. More than regular soda and sugar. Up until 9 months ago I believed everyone telling me it was healthy.

The point is people are getting huge and unhealthy FOLLOWING the food pyramid. Americans have actually cut fat the last 40 years.

I'm glad everyone was on the ball. I was using spreads not butter and doing a thousand other things I was encouraged to do but I now feel is wrong.

Regarding food and feeling good. People generally feel great on high fat low carb, both energy and especially mood. Low fat diets are highly correlated with depression.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 02-09-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #22
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I've lost 100 lbs counting nothing but calories.

That being said, I do believe some people have increased sensitivity towards carbs and sugar. I'm one of those that cannot stop at just one Olive Garden breadstick....or one donut.

Do I believe that's the carb or sugar's fault? Partially. I believe that those foods make it harder to lose weight, but in the end, it's the person who has control over what they put in their mouth.

I eat a lot of things that are likely bad for me - processed, chemicals, etc. I'm sure I'd be healthier not eating those things. Restricting too much though for me would have likely led to weight loss failure as it has in the past. Will I eat better foods in the future? Maybe. One step at a time.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #23

Comparing while wheat bread to a pack a day of cigarettes makes no sense at all!!

“If you try to lose weight by shaming, depriving and fearing yourself, you will end up shamed, deprived, and afraid.” Geneen Roth
Old 02-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #24
diamondgeog

Yes I am linking eating grains, especially in the amount the government currently tells you to do, like smoking. It won't kill you right away....but it will lead to a lot of bad stuff and eventually it will sooner than you would otherwise.

Why? Human beings are simply not designed to eat grains. I don't think there is much argument that for 99.999% of human evolution we did not eat grains. Or vanishingly small amounts, nothing even close to 300 grams a day, and no breads. It is only the last thousands of years we started eating more grains and bread.

Livestock is fed a heavy grain diet now. You know why? It is cheap and it makes them fat as fast as possible. It also slowly kills them. That is why there is so much antibiotic use in livestock. I prefer for me and my family to not get ill like livestock and fat like livestock.

And as for the same info that got many people here on this board and around the world into a whole lot of grief it is still out there.

This link is only a few days old. And surprise surprise the studies were funded by General Mills.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-ame...s-fiber-study/

Last edited by diamondgeog : 02-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #25
diamondgeog

So I gave the General Mills approved answer on grains above.

Here are a couple of sites I like that I think give a more accurate picture of grains. And just like the author of the first one, Mark, I to searched far and wide for if grains are good or essential. I wanted them to be. I was a big grain guy. But it is what it is. Since giving them up I am down almost 75 pounds, blood work is very good to great, I have more energy, better mood, best health of my life.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...#axzz2swECMFin

http://news.discovery.com/human/why-...eat-121214.htm

Old 02-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #26
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116/this is fine

Height: 5'5

Many people who have binge eating disorder binge eat to numb feelings and repressed psychological trauma, not because they're hungry.

Did you see the WSJ article on advice and how the seeking and doling out of advice can actually turn people off from doing things and elicit a knee-jerk teenage "I'll do the exact opposite" reaction?

When I was losing weight I DIDN'T WANT TO HEAR IT and hearing people preach about whatever worked for them made me want to unhinge my jaw so I could eat Cheetos faster. Especially the "women should lift weights" argument. Good lawd that ground my gears. I got so sick of hearing from various people that strength training changed their lives for the better and yada yada yada. I lift now and I think it's awesome and everybody should do it, but it took me a while to come around to it because I was so sick of hearing about it.

I agree with you about grains but every time someone on the internet posts about how evil they are, I find myself instinctively wanting to deep throat a loaf of bread in protest.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/krampus
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #27
diamondgeog

Well everyone tells you to use a seat belt. If that bugs someone and they don't use a seat belt and get severely injured what are we supposed to do? Say oh yeah guys don't use seat belts.

BTW my wife thought I was an emotional eater. Heck she thought SHE was an emotional eater. I did the grain free, wheat free thing before her. I kept saying it is unbelievable how much my hunger has gone down. I am just not hungry anymore.

She finally gave it a try for an extended period. Just last night she was saying to a friend she thought she could never give up breads. But she has. She is down 13 pounds since January and says she hasn't felt this good in a long time, and is almost never hungry now.

WhooHoo! So excited.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Since giving them up I am down almost 75 pounds, blood work is very good to great, I have more energy, better mood, best health of my life.
]
Yes, you mentioned that a few times. Good for you. You lost me at how sooner or later my abnormal inhuman grain addiction is going to kill me faster than cigarettes. Oh and the government is out to get me, got it.

Krampus, pass the Cheetos please.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #29

Height: 5'3.25''

Quote:
Well everyone tells you to use a seat belt. If that bugs someone and they don't use a seat belt and get severely injured what are we supposed to do? Say oh yeah guys don't use seat belts.
If it resulted in the same result, then at least there isn't that annoyance of someone stepping on their box and screaming at me to put on my seatbelt all day every day. Also there is a difference between consistent public service style announcements, even if "well-intended" and occasional advice.

I listened to my gut and it said "You could do with less of me."

B00ty-Underwear pic as of March 2014 NSFW
Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #30
diamondgeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Yes, you mentioned that a few times. Good for you. You lost me at how sooner or later my abnormal inhuman grain addiction is going to kill me faster than cigarettes. Oh and the government is out to get me, got it.

Krampus, pass the Cheetos please.
Wannabeskinny..your the only person that said it is 'abnormal' addiction. It is the most normal thing in the world. Grains are HIGHLY addictive. I am just pointing out they are unhealthy. I never said they were not addictive, I said the exact opposite.

You're the only one who said grains will kill you faster than cigarettes. I've no idea. Especially for an individual. How many cigarettes, how many carbs, have they developed diabetes yet, etc. I am just pointing out they are unhealthy.

Feel free to have as many Cheetos as you'd like. Me? I wannabehealthy.

I wish I could make a world just for you where Cheetos and grains were healthy. But I have to deal with the physiology I've been given.

And BTW the world screams at people to EAT grains. You can find it out all over the place from government, to American Heart Association, to the American Diabetes Association. So given that, and given that that they are highly addictive, and given that this is a forum for people trying to get into control, this is very valuable information.

But please feel free to do whatever you want. Be as healthy or unhealthy as you'd like. Carb load to your heart's desire. I am not going to stop you.

And also I didn't hide what I was trying to say. I said in the first post in this thread that eating carbs can make you continually hungry and hold on to fat. Continually hungry. Pretty appropriate for a Chicks in Control section, no?

I never told you to stop posting, I never said you are getting on a soap box to tell people to keep eating cake and Cheetos. If you want to have your cake fine. I've posted info and links as to why that might be harmful. People are allowed to smoke, they are allowed to eat cake. Because it is a free country. And because it is a free country people are allowed to point out its harmful. And that is DOUBLY important because the official information in the case of carbs is that they are not harmful.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 02-10-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.