Binge Free And Over Eating in February

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Mainecyn, congrats on being 25 days binge free!

Yesterday, I tried an experiment. I have two "celebration meals" a week, at which I can consume more carbs than I usually do. Sometimes these "celebration meals" trigger me to binge on more carbs afterwards. A friend had told me that there are studies showing that consuming a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar along with your carbs can slow the release of the sugar into your bloodstream, and the dumping of insulin to deal with your sugar. I had my celebration meal, and a big cupcake, for lunch. I drank some apple cider vinegar in water afterwards. It was gross, but it worked. I felt no cravings afterwards. I didn't even feel hungry at dinner! I'm going to try it again today. I'll let you know if it works.

Here's a link to one of the articles on apple cider vinegar
    http://www.dlife.com/diabetes-food-a...ful_of_vinegar
  • Well I'm afraid I have fallen off the wagon big style. Lots of stress going on, overly tired, all the usual excuses blah blah blah. Actually i just stopped being conscious and aware of what I was doing. I went on autopilot and have been binging daily (sometimes twice a day) over the last week.

Big f****** failure and i can't seem to get back on track
  • New to this
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, the last one I contributed to seems to have disappeared and I found it helpful, so here I am.

I realise I've had an eating problem for probably just over a year. At the moment I can't seem to go a day without overeating, or even half a day for that matter. It's usually okay until lunchtime but once I start eating, I can't seem to stop. I've tried lots of things and have lost weight, only to put it back on... and some.

My will power seems to have all but disappeared, I can't even get through day without blowing it. I've often said to myself, if you want it enough, you'll do it - do I not want it enough? I feel like I do. I want to be healthy for my children and for myself. I think there's nothing worse than looking back on your life with regret, I don't want to be doing that.

I am 40 and mum of two boys. I ran the London marathon in 2008 but it's been all down hill since then.

Any help appreciated.
  • Hugs to everyone I feel that this thread is so invaluable and insightful. I have recently lost 110 pounds through Weight Watchers. Last Saturday I reached my goal weight. It is at the higher end of my weight range for my height but I'm perfectly ok with that. I work out a lot and lift weights and am a size eight. I'm very happy with my chosen goal weight, which was a recent decision. That said, over the past few weeks my desire to binge eat has returned. I haven't had that desire in about a year, so the continuous desire to binge as of late is a little disappointing. After I reached my goal weight I went grocery shopping (part of my routine) and for the first time in a year felt this like crazy, crazy inclination to load up my cart with the Valentine cakes and cookies that were displayed in the entry. It kind of took me aback. Just an hour earlier I had reached my goal weight and all of a sudden I was hit with all new desires to binge. Very weird.

As well, I went shopping today for a few things I was out of. I was going to pick up baking supplies to make treats for Valentine's Day for people. As soon as I got into the door I as greeted again (different store tho) by cakes and chocolates and all kinds of desserts. Within seconds I got overwhelmed and extremely upset. Where are these feelings me sensations coming from all of a sudden?

I thought to myself that I could not be trusted today with baking supplies in my home. I thought to get my friends and coworkers candies instead so I wouldn't have to face baking supplies in my home. Then I realized that today was a day where I couldn't trust myself even to have candies in my house.

Ultimately I decided to opt out of treats for Valentine's Day this year. I just can't face it. I'm proud of myself however that I can see that about myself. I feel badly because I would like to acknowledge people on Valentine's Day. But for my own sake, I can't be handling desserts and sweets. Anyway, in both cases mentioned what I ended up doing is countering the urge to binge with a mini shoppig spree of healthy foods. Raw vegetables. Fiber 1 bars. Tortilla wraps for my lunches. New spices to try. Greek yogurt. Things like that. So, today I am proud of myself.

I thought I would share a Vic
  • Quote:
    After I reached my goal weight I went grocery shopping (part of my routine) and for the first time in a year felt this like crazy, crazy inclination to load up my cart with the Valentine cakes and cookies that were displayed in the entry. It kind of took me aback. Just an hour earlier I had reached my goal weight and all of a sudden I was hit with all new desires to binge. Very weird.
    It is a very odd sensation because you would think that once reaching such a goal, all the hard work, sacrifice, and working on your personal health, that binge eating would be the last thing on your mind. However, I am living that as well and have for over a year. I reached goal weight of 147 a year ago..within months I binged myself all the way back up into the 160's, then the 170's, and after that the 180's. I had been proud and disciplined, and worked so hard..I think the "high" of losing and succeeding replaced the binge feelings for a long long time, then it was back. I also noticed that the binge eating is so much worse than ever before, it was constant, every day all day for most of the year. I am only now almost a month binge free..its the most I've done in a year. I can understand what you are going thru. I think you did the right thing by opting out of the treats. I have done what you said, I'll just buy one..well before I know it I'm eating what I bought and then going back to the store and stocking up, taking it all home and binge eating it all.

think I'm on day 27, didn't count I might be off a day or so. But I know the month mark is coming up fast.

I'm busy as always at work and with family. It will be a real test this weekend with all my step kids at home as well. I keep saying, I can do this..don't listen to that voice that's says its been so long and you will feel so much better if you binge-release, happy, accceptance
  • Quote: I have been doing well, last binge or over eating was January 18th, 13 days. Its been tough but ive done it. I'm still fighting, and trying to handle my binge eating. I got the book brain over binge, yet haven't read beyond the first page. I at times think I just don't want to face my issue or learn more about myself..make sense?
    Hi, Hope it;s ok to chime in here. Your posts really resonate! Prior to dieting, I'd describe myself as a compulsive overeater with occasional bingeing. Come to think of it, that still fits, lol. I went on IdealProtein for 7 mo and for the first time in my post-puberty life, I've been at a healthy weight (I'm now 60). I've been more or less maintaining for almost 6 mo.

One day after having a really nice & satisfying meal with a friend, I stopped at the store to pick up TP and the next thing I knew I was eating donuts, Cheetohs, and too many other things to list, things I normally don't even crave. It mystified me until I read Brain over Binge. It's a good read and when she finally ties it all together--wow! You will have a very convincing explanation for what's going on and how to deal with it. According to the book (and my experience), dieting makes us all more vulnerable to binges--it's hard wired into our brains. But not impossible to overcome or at least manage. I hope you'll find it as helpful as I did. Sending you good wishes for the weekend.
  • Quote: Mainecyn, congrats on being 25 days binge free!

Yesterday, I tried an experiment. I have two "celebration meals" a week, at which I can consume more carbs than I usually do. Sometimes these "celebration meals" trigger me to binge on more carbs afterwards. A friend had told me that there are studies showing that consuming a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar along with your carbs can slow the release of the sugar into your bloodstream, and the dumping of insulin to deal with your sugar. I had my celebration meal, and a big cupcake, for lunch. I drank some apple cider vinegar in water afterwards. It was gross, but it worked. I felt no cravings afterwards. I didn't even feel hungry at dinner! I'm going to try it again today. I'll let you know if it works.

Here's a link to one of the articles on apple cider vinegar
    http://www.dlife.com/diabetes-food-a...ful_of_vinegar
    Can't WAIT to try this--thank-you!!! I've heard that eating a few pickles also helps--maybe due to the vinegar. A new concept for dessert
  • I was on a horrible daily binge for weeks until last Thursday. So today marks my 7th day without bingeing.
  • Hey all, thinking about you all!!

Winter is hard, so I think that its great that we are having some better days despite the stress. I have my times of feeling down, so I am trying to balance that by reminding myself that sometimes things happen in life that make the little problems seem way worse and goals feel a lot of daunting.

I am also trying to remind myself of the progress and growth that I have achieved - I used to think that I would always inevitably screw up on everything. Well, now on days when there is extreme bad weather and I am very ill and I can't make it to the gym or do this or that perfectly, I am getting better at trusting myself and knowing that that no, pixellate, you know that you will do what you want to do - you won't fall apart in a mess because you aren't 100% when things get rather impossible. I employed any and EVERY weight loss technique because I thought I need to do so much to make up for my crappy failure self. Accommodate for my inevitable inefficiency.

Sure I don't do nearly as much activity or proactive dieting as some, but I do at least the bare minimum and I don't beat myself up when I don't - for me, that is eons less self-punishing than how I felt in the past (separating myself from my toxic family has made a big difference in this too)
  • Quote:
    People congratulate me on maintaining but i’m a fake. I do well and control my urges all week but Friday night comes around and a switch goes off.
    Binging or not you are NOT a fake. You are still inspiring and you accomplished a lot - you kept up habits 100% for a long time, even if you don't maintain them fully now. Even if the whole binge-purge cycle to maintain isn't what you want to do in the long term (and I don't blame you) the fact that you can maintain is still admirable. Please feel free to post here! Or lurk of course =]
  • [QUOTE
    People congratulate me on maintaining but i’m a fake. I do well and control my urges all week but Friday night comes around and a switch goes off.
    ][/QUOTE]

I have said this exact same thing-I have people still tell me congratulations on losing so much weight, maintaining it, being healthy etc. Yet, I tell myself I am fake, I am not healthy, I am not maintaining my weight, and if they only really knew what I do-they wouldn't be so quick to congratulate me.
  • Quote: Binging or not you are NOT a fake. You are still inspiring and you accomplished a lot - you kept up habits 100% for a long time
    I agree with Pixellate

The fact that you can come on here and admit that you have binged is HUGE... you are way ahead of being in that place where you denied it.
  • I've been binge free since jan 1st even though it's been a stuggle at times
  • mrslosingit: Congratulations! How have you accomplished this success?
  • Quote: I've been binge free since jan 1st even though it's been a stuggle at times
    Congratulations! That is a major accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself.

I haven't binged, that feeling, that over takes me, it hasn't happened. I am not sure just what is going on but I don't miss the feeling. I did eat more than normal yesterday, snacking on veggie "chips" craving salt. But, it ended there. I didn't start on those and then eventually more or move onto something else, that panic and frantic feeling of eating one thing and moving to the next and next. It didn't happen. So far, its no where to be seen, that binge binge monster or the physical change I feel when it does come up on me.

No weight loss, and not feeling great about how I am looking, but it hasn't made me decide that I should throw myself in front of the pantry. Eating because I feel ugly or fat has always been a response, it isn't happening. While I am not happy with myself, I'm hanging in there.

I attempted exercises today on my stability ball, yet I feel goofy and stupid when I attempted them. Don't know what I am doing.

Its been a long weekend. We have had everything and everyone here all weekend. With all the kids I normally would eat and eat. Not so far. I had a rough time Friday at the Drs office with multiple tests. I have a mammogram Monday morning. I'm a little young for it, never had one before. Also some blood tests Monday and some other issues health wise that are stressful, but I haven't turned to food.

I hope everyone is doing well over the weekend and congratulating themselves for all the hard work. It seems to be a min by min thing, but I guess its the same for us all.