Daily Positive Self-Affirmation

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Quote:
    Mainecyn, I am sorry for the difficulties you have experienced in your life. Congratulations on making the decision to take control and start the work you need to do to rebuild your self esteem. Congratulations on finishing a huge project at work and doing a fantastic job with it. When you say something negative to yourself, try to catch it and think, "Would I say that to a child?" If you would not abuse a child that way, why abuse yourself that way? Tell yourself immediately that you're sorry and you didn't really mean it. Affirm that, "I am a giving, caring person and I deserve good things."

I've been doing an awesome job of sticking to my diet and exercise program. When the scale slowed and stood still for a couple weeks, I was feeling discouraged but adopted the mantra, "I just need to keep going" and it worked! I've stuck to my program and this morning I saw a 2.2 pound loss for this week. I am so proud of myself for sticking with it and working hard. I can do this!
    Thank you very much. You are correct. I have tired to talk to myself and ask if I would treat a stranger the way I treat myself, of course not. So why is it acceptable to do it to myself? It really isn't, but is such a difficult habit to break.

You are doing so well with your weight loss, such a great re- enforcer to watch your progress and know that people do succeed, do grow and learn better habits and learn to give themselves, and their body, what it needs. Your really inspiring.

Quote:
    I'm reading a book called May cause miracles by Gabby Bernstein. she has a lot of good information on positive self talk and letting go of things that no longer serve you.
    BethC, I am going to look for info on the book you mentioned. I truly believe a great deal of the weight issues, binge eating, body image problems, that i have can be traced back to my own personal emotions concerning myself, how I see myself, what I think I am worth. If I look back at events that shaped my childhood there were several big negative ones, and on the relationship front I dealt with an abusive and neglectful first marriage because I felt I deserved it and wasn't good enough for my then husband. I can see how there can be a connection between the negative thoughts you think about yourself, and the negative actions you take toward yourself. I also can completely relate to hanging on to issues and emotions that were tied into other people, when letting go of the thoughts and feelings would be better. It would be a growing experience, learning experience.

I admit that I often go back repeatedly and rethink painful issues and events, like not being able to leave a scab alone. I have read things that tell you to let go and not let the other have power over you by remembering.

My positive thought today, or daily positive self-affirmation comment would be that today I learned I AM learning the skills I needed for the other position in our office. I've been going in to work early for a week to learn this job and "practice" while the other lady is in the office in case I need help. I was able to get what needed to be done finished this morning, assign everyone, fill in subs where needed, and I did it quicker than I did Friday. I also am slowly growing more confidence when it comes to the phone system. I rarely answered the phones unless absolutely needed to before. Now, this week, I am answering the phones, learning what all the buttons do, and doing it correctly. I'm not fast at it, and get confused at times, but the phone isn't as scary. Im getting faster on my computer looking up the info and finding it when parents call the district. So, I do have some positives.
  • I've been excited all day. Saw the doctor today and I have lost enough weight that my BMI has fallen below the "morbid obesity" classification. It is confirmation that I am making progress with my weight loss. I celebrated by stopping by the hospital gift shop and buying myself a necklace that I'll wear to work tomorrow. I am really working hard and I am experiencing success. I am so proud of myself for this accomplishment.
  • I just bought a book called "Beautiful You: A Daily Guide to Radical Self-Acceptance" on the recommendation of someone on another thread. I've started reading it and it has tasks to do on a daily basis for 365 days that solidify your self acceptance. I'm only on day 2 but I really like the structure that it gives me every day.

Quote: I've been excited all day. Saw the doctor today and I have lost enough weight that my BMI has fallen below the "morbid obesity" classification. It is confirmation that I am making progress with my weight loss. I celebrated by stopping by the hospital gift shop and buying myself a necklace that I'll wear to work tomorrow. I am really working hard and I am experiencing success. I am so proud of myself for this accomplishment.
    What an exciting thing! Congrats to you!! I can't wait to be "not obese"!
  • Quote: I've been excited all day. Saw the doctor today and I have lost enough weight that my BMI has fallen below the "morbid obesity" classification. It is confirmation that I am making progress with my weight loss. I celebrated by stopping by the hospital gift shop and buying myself a necklace that I'll wear to work tomorrow. I am really working hard and I am experiencing success. I am so proud of myself for this accomplishment.
    That is AWESOME! And buying bling to celebrate just makes it awesomer.
  • Quote: I just bought a book called "Beautiful You: A Daily Guide to Radical Self-Acceptance" on the recommendation of someone on another thread.
    Thanks for the resource recommendation. I'll have to check it out.
  • Quote: Thanks for the resource recommendation. I'll have to check it out.
    So far I'm really enjoying the guided journaling.
  • One good choice I made today was not letting the scale dictate how I felt about myself. I was disappointed by what the scale said this morning but I didn't let it influence the day or dwell on what the numbers said.

While I can not say I wasn't disappointed by the number staring back at me, I let it go and didn't carry that down feeling with me to work, or let my weight decide how I was going to treat myself today. I also didn't fall back into that well since I gained anyway attitude, and binge.
  • Quote: I've been excited all day. Saw the doctor today and I have lost enough weight that my BMI has fallen below the "morbid obesity" classification. It is confirmation that I am making progress with my weight loss. I celebrated by stopping by the hospital gift shop and buying myself a necklace that I'll wear to work tomorrow. I am really working hard and I am experiencing success. I am so proud of myself for this accomplishment.
    You have hit a personal milestone, that is wonderful and you should be proud of what you have accomplished!
  • Congratulations on noticing this negative pattern doing something to change it! It is really hard- I am undertaking my newest weightloss journey and it has been a real struggle, trying to stop the negative self talk, the cravings and the feelings of being scared. Other than exercise, what do other people do to stop the voices/feelings? What things do you guys think/say to yourselves if you start feeling off?
  • Quote: Other than exercise, what do other people do to stop the voices/feelings? What things do you guys think/say to yourselves if you start feeling off?
    When I start feeling negative and down about how my diet is doing, I tell myself that I just have to keep going; I just have to keep working. That statement both grounds me and encourages me past the moments of negativity. If I fall back to negative self-talk, as soon as I notice, I apologize to myself and remind myself that I don't deserve to be beaten up by anyone, including me!

Today, I had a pretty bad day, feeling negative about pretty much everything in general but I reminded myself that my feelings were just emotions and temporary. Despite being in a crappy mood, I still managed to put on my sneakers tonight and do a workout. Now, I'm feeling better about things because I made it through a really tough day and stuck with my program. Talk about a self-esteem booster, and it's all on me!
  • Good for you, for not letting a bad day ruin your workout! I have had a down day, I have been in pain unrelated to exercise and have just been feeling off, especially about my diet changes, however I went to the gym early this morning and did a really good workout with my friend and we had a little victory with her, she fought the pain and did 10 full minutes on the rowing maching without stopping, a big achievement for her, and that alone boosted my mood. I hope you are feeling better soon, and that tomorrow is better for you!
  • Tough week
    It has been a tough week for me. I'm totally hormonal. Though it has been emotionally draining, I have stayed on track with my eating program and I've done a great job exercising. I am so proud of myself for keeping me a priority.
  • Quote: Congratulations on noticing this negative pattern doing something to change it! It is really hard- I am undertaking my newest weightloss journey and it has been a real struggle, trying to stop the negative self talk, the cravings and the feelings of being scared. Other than exercise, what do other people do to stop the voices/feelings? What things do you guys think/say to yourselves if you start feeling off?
    I concentrate on my breathing. I don't breathe differently, but just take notice of how it feels in my lungs nostrils, etc. It works pretty well--the hard part is remembering to do it when the self-criticism and negative feelings are filling my mind.
  • I am so super excited! I have lost 50 pounds! I am awesome! What a great feeling to reach this point of the journey. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I feel so happy.
  • Quote: I am so super excited! I have lost 50 pounds! I am awesome! What a great feeling to reach this point of the journey. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I feel so happy.
    Congratulations! Your hard work is paying off. You should be happy with yourself.

I am over a month not binge eating, during this time I have not once heard that voice in my head calling me stupid, ugly, etc. I may not totally like how I look but I noticed that I'm not adding to it my slamming myself over and over.