Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

Welcome Fiona!
I know exactly what you mean about food as a drug. There have been times when I had such bad cravings that I could focus on nothing but the food I wanted. I get less work done when I'm binging. I sometimes think why it's so hard to stop, even when I know how badly I want to eat intuitively, not obsess over food and feel the need to cook alone and eat alone. I don't know why it's so hard to achieve.

But today is Day 3 for me. Yesterday got sloppy after dinner. It took everything in me to put a half finished bowl of post-dinner oatmeal/granola cereal in the fridge, but I managed it.
Today I stuck to fruit after dinner. I got myself to brush my teeth and not eat anymore, so today is done and over.
Tomorrow I'm going home and will be stuck in a car for 4 hours. Then I'll get home and hopefully do well and not fall into a "Oh I'm home, I'll eat whatever I want" state of mind.

Last edited by MeganTheMushroom; 11-26-2013 at 10:19 PM.
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Hi guys, confession time for me.

The good news is that I haven't binged apart from my one meal in the week (when I ate like a BEAST and felt like dying afterward... never again). The bad news is that somehow I find myself 2 lbs heavier, and it's not the normal fluctuation. While I haven't been bingeing, I know I haven't been controlling my portions like I did a month ago. I'm getting really frustrated with myself at this lack of control. I remember when I first started a couple of months back and I lost 6 lbs really fast and felt on top of the world. I want that feeling back, but I'm too hungry to work for it, and it's annoying me.

Also, I haven't posted in this thread for that very reason, because I felt embarrassed to come and say that while others are managing weeks and months without overeating, I cave within a week and manage to gain weight.

My one saving grace is that TOM is starting soon, so I hope to god this weight will go down in a week or so, but I feel like I'm just grasping at straws here.

Sorry for the mini-rant. I've just had a bad couple of days and seeing the scale this morning was the cherry on the cake.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #183  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Just checking in to say "HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!" to everyone. I'm working on Day 7 right now of my project to go 30 days without an emotional eating episode. I'm not going to the turkey dinner hosted by my sister-in-law, because if I went, I'd have a couple of glasses of wine. The wine wouldn't be a problem in itself, but I'd get just enough disinhibited that I'd want to have a piece of pie, or whatever else was sweet & tempting. Once I started having sweets with the family, I'd be a setup for going out and getting cookies afterwards. That's a chain of dominoes I just don't want to knock over.

I'm not big on Thanksgiving anyway, or any other family-related events, because I had an abusive childhood. Too many bad memories. So... sorry if that constitutes raining on anyone's parade, because I certainly don't mean to do that!

I do use this time of year to make lists of things I am grateful for. Close to the top of this year's list is 3 Fat Chicks: I really appreciate the support and sharing in this community. Thanks, y'all!

So have (or I hope you did have) a great turkey day, everyone!! =smile=
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #184  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Rhiko -- venting is good, let it out!

After you vent, sometimes it helps to go back and re-read your own post and pretend it was written by someone else completely (at least I do this, does any one else?). Pretend I wrote your post, instead of you. What advice would you give me? I find this a good exercise in finding solutions that actually work for me, because I automatically suggest things from my own frame-of-mind and perspective.

Hang in there!
Thanks! I took your advice and that of others on 3FC and vented in the Dear (whoever)-Letters you wish you could send! thread. I believe it has helped me let go, since I find that I can't until I either confront the perpetrator, which wasn't an option, or let everything out.

Today I realised that I was fooling myself a little. I had been binging on junk and pulling the wool over my eyes that it was only small indulgences. No matter. I'm keen to get back into my running and just ignore my self-consciousness--especially since I've gained about 1.5-2kgs, which takes me 1-2 months to lose
I've learned my lesson on emotional eating: it feels great while I'm binging, but it undermines everything I've achieved.

I hope everyone else has done well this month! If not, no matter, we'll do better next month! We have to believe in ourselves, because we're the only ones who can make changes in our lives.

Last edited by Rhiko; 11-29-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! I had a horrible eating day yesterday. I don't think I ate anything but carbs! Bagel, donut, pizza, bread and cheese, burger, booze!! Oh man I feel gross today
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #186  
rockin' my 60s!

Rhiko and LisaTcan— Sorry to hear y'all have been having trouble with your eating. Have either of you read Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge? I'm new to this thread, so I don't know whether this book has already been discussed to death, but I must say, when I finished reading it yesterday, it was like a blast of fresh air for the head. In fact, Hansen's detailed but boldly practical idea is probably going to be a total game-changer for me. I haven't tested her technique against a serious urge to binge yet, but already I feel much less apprehensive about my future relationship with food.

I'm curious to know what y'all think of it, if you've read it...
Old 11-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #187  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi friends! Just checking in here because I am really suuuper tempted to eat Thanksgiving leftovers for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I really need to get back on track today after being a little indulgent yesterday (but not too bad). Anybody else struggling to keep away from the fridge this morning?

Just tell me I can do it and I'll believe you.

Plus I am sooo tired since I cooked the entire feast yesterday single-handedly, and today I am decorating the house for Christmas (there are boxes, boxes everywhere) AND I have to be done (house decorated, boxes away, floor swiffered clean again) by five PM, because that's when the guests are arriving for my teenage daughter's birthday sleepover. After that it's pizza (not for me), going out for pie (none for me), and then the girls are staying up all night watching movies, eating pizza, popcorn, and pie, and watching DVD's all night long.

I am so overwhelmed I just want to eat. And eat. And eat.

But I'm not gonna do it.

Sheesh what a long weekend.

OK, gotta go get back to work now. I'll check back in later.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #188  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

You can do it shr1nk1ngme! Close your eyes and think about how you will feel in the 5 minutes right AFTER indulging in the leftovers. Really imagine it. Do you want to feel that way? I'm betting NOPE.

Now go eat a lovely salad (or whatever is your on-plan yum yums) and think of today as a cleansing day after Thanksgiving.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #189  
rockin' my 60s!

shr1nk1ngme— You can do it! You can tell those urges to overeat just exactly what you think of them, and where they can get off. I'm sympathetic with you about having a bunch of teenage girls in your house chowing down on junk food: that sounds tough!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #190  
Michelle the Vegan

Last day of November, ladies, the whole month is behind us now, can you believe it?

Good luck moving forward in December!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #191  

S/C/G: IDK

Height: 5'9

hi guys...i'm back after two months and guess what...i gained about 12 pounds in these two months!! i binge almost every day. that's my confession.
my boody is itchy and i guess that means new strech marks
for a while i was doing good but ever since i moved to a new appartment with new people it's been going downhill. i feel such a pressure because i'm different from them and guilt to be around them when i should be studying and in the end i don't do either of the two. in 3 weeks i'll be returning home and i don't want to go back all blown up, i must do something asap. maybe i'll join a new gym tomorrow but i'm so broke currently because i haven't gotten my scolarship.
so here's to a new month, binge free december
missunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #192  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

I just came back back to read over several of the posts from November for inspiration and strength. I was in control and "high" from my success. Just looking to recapture it.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #193  
Michelle the Vegan

Smart idea Mainecyn.

Also, I saw on the other thread where you said you felt like you'd "ruined" all that work from when you were 25 (or more, I might be misremembering the number) days binge-free. You haven't ruined anything. All those days of hard work are still there, counting. You did that work, it still stands and counts towards your physical and emotional health. Every day you add, whether they are in a string of days or solo moments COUNTS. Every binge avoided COUNTS!

I'm glad you are feeling more in control now. Sending you lots of positive vibes!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 12-18-2013 at 06:42 AM.