BED in the DSM-V

• Oh, dear. I had no idea we are now a "full-fledged mental condition..."

NYTimes Article on BED
  • Yep
    Crazy right? Pun intended.

Although full-fledged only means "on its own". We have been there for quite some time but under another category.
  • Of course it's a real condition! It's encouraging to know that BED is being accepted slowly but surely as a disorder. I don't talk about BED with many people, just my husband and a couple of friends, I tried telling my Mom but she has no issues with food and really doesn't get it, for her it's as simple as "stop eating so much, what's the big deal?" I'll admit that nobody in my life really understands it eventhough they seem supportive more or less. I try not to talk about it much because I get the sense that people don't believe me that this exists, I think they think I'm making it up just to excuse my lack of discipline.
  • Wannabe, what a good point. Perhaps this designation will help both laypeople and medical professionals understand the challenges of having BED (i.e., it's not "just willpower").

Ggbsy, I never really considered the true meaning of "full-fledged" (like a bird that has left the nest and is on its own). I love words and writing, so I am enjoying this new understanding. (Geek moment for me! Love it!)
  • Yeah, but I still feel like there's still a huge stigma and fat prejudice that our thinner anorexic and bulimic counterparts don't have to worry or exprience. I mean compared to us, they are glamourized and even to the point where I wish I could anorexic, I even look up thinspo stuff.