Binge Free and Overeating Free in October.

You're on Page 9 of 18
Go to
  • Megan, I'm so happy for you! You go, girl! Yes, you will keep this up tomorrow, because we are all rooting for you. Seriously!

Mainecyn, congrats on winning the first time around. What an accomplishment!

Going to bed now.
  • Just checking in before work reading everyones accomplishments to get myself jazzed for the day. I didn't binge but I did end up eating before bed, nuts and sf pudding but considering what it could be its a win.
  • Good morning ladies, everyone is doing so well! YAY!

I am preparing to leave at 4 am tomorrow for a week in Maine. I'm hoping that I'll be able to check in via my phone, but I may be on the quiet side until I get back, but I'll be thinking of how well everyone is doing and using that as inspiration for me to stay on plan while there!

My husband and I have generally in the past had terrible food habits while on vacation -- food is always a major highlight of every trip (Italy was a real doozy, let me tell ya!) -- so for me it is going to be hard to make good, healthy choices meal after meal in the face of his... food exuberance. Eating out is harder than eating at home, I swear when I open a menu my eyes go directly to french fries and do not pass GO and do not collect $100.

My challenge to myself for this vacation is two parts: 1: ORDER SALADS, period, no debate, decision made, every time we go to a restaurant you ARE ordering a salad Mrs. Snark, and that's that.

And 2: don't whine, complain, kvetch, and otherwise suck the joy out of the meal for my husband while I'm eating said salad. This is my choice, and if I'm not smiling on the inside I *WILL* fake it and smile on the outside for his sake.

One minute I think I'm *totally* up for the challenge of doing this, the next minute my resolve feels a little more shaky.
  • Good Morning, Everyone!

Today is another great day! We are so lucky to be alive! We're all going to do well today. We're here to take care of our bodies, and do great things. My meal plan is set for the day, I'm going to exercise and I will do something nice for myself. How about you?

I'm so proud of all of you for trying so hard. And I am trying hard, too. We can do this together!

Mrs.Snark, I have faith in you that you will continue to do well on vacation. I love your plan of eating salads and smiling. We're all going to be thinking of you, and will be anxiously waiting for the good news that your vacation was not a problem with food. Remember, you're one of our top role models! We need this to go well, too.

For me, it's been a month and almost 2 weeks of perseverance. We can do this together.
  • Good morning all!

I woke up feeling strong and in control this morning! I am entering my 7th day today and am feeling super proud of myself for making it this far! I haven't had a week of being in control of how much or what I ate since last year!! I fell asleep last night before I posted which was a very pleasant surprise for me because usually I feel so overwhlemed with cravings and the whole mental struggle of trying not eat that I am up half the night tossing and turning. Not this time! I use my tools to comfort myself and control my thoughts! I also remind myself that feelings and cravings will rise and fall I just need to stay calm.

I really would like to thank everyone that has encouraged me over the past week. It has helped me tremendously! And to everyone that has posted on this thread thanks for sharing your story and struggles it has helped me to feel less alone in my battle with my food issue.
  • MAK, Congratulations on making it to day 7! That's a big deal! I'm so glad you've joined this thread. We're going to make things happen together!

I did well today. My calories totaled about 1400. The weather is changing, and so are the foods for colder weather. Thank God I love oatmeal, because I seem to like that for breakfast and lunch sometimes.

Let's keep working at this. Tomorrow is the 10th of the month, and we're doing great!
  • I am happy to report that I have made it through my 7th day following a very strict food plan without any overeating!I had a few temptations today but they were not overwhelming.

I am going to have lunch with a friend and dinner with my husband at a restaurant over the weekend. I am a bit nervous about how it will go and not sure about how exactly to plan for it. I would appreciate any advice on strategies for eating out and staying on plan. I was thinking I might try having a snack before I go and ordering salads.
  • It is wonderful to see everyone doing so well!

I had a really good day today. Yesterday I felt so hungry all day, I was really white-knuckling it. Today was totally different. I felt just plain good, maybe because I had a better night's sleep, who knows? Strangely though, I am grinding my teeth like mad. It's a bad habit of mine, but I can remember only one other terribly stressful time in my life when it was this bad, so that my whole jaw ached. I really don't consciously feel *that* stressed out right now. Maybe I should try some yoga or meditating. I had a great run today but that didn't help.

Mrs Snark, I loved the body-weight circuit. I did it again yesterday, three times through. Re: crunches, funny you mention it -- I don't do jumping jacks due to a couple injuries, so I did standing crunches instead. I'm going away this weekend and I'll have to rope my traveling companions into doing a body-weight workout in the hotel room. Best of luck on your trip -- we will be rooting for you!

And Tyla, thank you for starting this thread and for being such a wonderful source of positive energy and encouragement!
  • Mak78, our posts came at the same time. For eating out, I always like to look up the menu online, just to get an idea of what they're offering. I love seafood and that is often a healthful choice. I try to eat lightly for the other meals of the day but not so much that I arrive at the restaurant absolutely starving and ready to inhale the bread basket. Just lighter choices for the other meals and maybe skip snack. HTH and hope all goes well -- you can do it!
  • Yay for Mak! Day 8! Keep going. You can do it. Like 7 lbs. does, I also check menus of the restaurant online. It gives me an idea of what to get beforehand, when I'm not so hungry. I can check for calories under Google, too. I like to go in feeling pretty secure. If nothing else, I just eat half. (I like to take the rest home for dinner, if I'm eating lunch.) It's always a good idea to leave a morsel or so on your plate to show yourself that you have control.
  • Hi 7lbs! So glad you're feeling better than yesterday. About the grinding, is something coming up or some kind of event that is bothering you? Usually, when we're anxious, we're thinking about future events. Just a thought. In any event, I'm so glad you are here. I appreciate all of your words of wisdom.

Also, thank you for your kind words. I really needed to hear them today, and they are truly appreciated!

As for me, I am truly working at this, too, but not seeing a weight loss since last week. I am, however, wearing a smaller pairs of pants. I'm so excited about Autumn. I started putting Halloween decorations up around the house last night. I'm trying to make it look homier and warmer. Even had classical music playing when my hubby came home from work. Tonight I'll light the fire in the fireplace.
  • Ok so I discovered a trigger yesterday. My trigger is: I have to control my activities and energy, if life happens and gets in the way and changes my environment and/or routine, that causes enough stress to trigger binge-desires.

I had a mini tiny miniature binge yesterday, what describes it as such is the need to numb my feelings and medicate myself, also the speed of my eating. But in terms of quantity of food, very very tiny binge.

Anyway, what happened was, life kept throwing curves and emotions my way. First I could not get out of work at my regular time, I had to stay to entertain this negative person, which of course means my routine is shot. I couldn't eat at my time, so I ate an hour later and less than my usual meal. I eat the same thing each and every single day, by the way, I need it like that. Anyhow, then I had an anniversary party, and of course I couldn't eat my regular dinner, I ate something else before the party and had nothing to eat during the party. Also, my emotions go crazy when around people. Finally, I found out my uncle passed, and that of course changed everything again.

By the time I got home I was so tired and I actually could not remember why I was supposed to be binge-free. Of course I knew I was doing it, but I couldn't remember why or its importance. Completely forgot even my mantras. So I "kinda" binged.

Today with my stomach hurting I completely remember why I am on this binge-free path, but I also have very clear how I forgot last night. It was just too much, too much stress and changes in routine, that made me nervous enough to want to binge.

Lastly I want to say that I had managed to be binge-free for some days reminding myself that I am not a 4 year old and that I can say no. Last night I didn't remember at all, not even that I had that phrase. I think the phrase works when the binge is crave-induced, when my body is addicted to the sugar and the rush and jumps at the sight of candy. But when the binge or trigger is emotionally induced, it doesn't work that well. Obviously.

Anyway thanks for listening.
  • GGBYS, I am sorry you had such a horrible day yesterday. You sound just like I do. It seems like you were doing well and would continue to do well if it hadn't been for so many triggers yesterday..But, keep in mind you didn't have what you call a full blown binge. Be proud of yourself.

My day, yesterday, was much of the same..I did great at work, and during lunch, then came home and started eating, it wasn't anything majorly bad, but I snacked on several things so I decided to skip dinner to make up for all the extra calories I didn't eat sugar, flour etc, but I didn't do what I planned on doing, I ate more than I planned. I had a long day at work and running errands on my break, and the added stresser of my Mum being in the hospital. It never seems to be just one event that would set me over the edge, its always a combination of things like my own personal "perfect storm".

I hope we all have a good day today. I keep trying, all I can do. I stepped on the scale this morning and it hadn't moved up, OR DOWN. But, not gaining is something.
  • I'm so sorry that you have both undergone a series of stresses. I know what you're talking about, because I too, feel like I'm hanging by a thread. But I keep reminding myself, that I just can't afford to blow it right now. I've gained 10 lbs. from last year, and I just can't seem to lose it. (That's all because I allowed myself to have binges, and couldn't stop.) Each time was harder than the next to get back to normal eating. I feel so bad for letting this happen to my body and mind. I mean truly sad about it. And I feel pathetic. Can't fit into my clothes, and I'm not going to buy new ones. Plus I think everyone is looking at me and commenting to themselves. And now that I finally have my eating under control, I desperately want to keep it in check. And believe me, it's hard.

gg and cyn, It's a new time for a fresh start. Make this happen this very minute. Come, let's get going together. It feels so much better when we do the right thing. I'm sending us all good wishes to keep going. We can still turn things around in this great month of October. Lots of hugs to both of you. We're in this together.
  • I'm proud to say, that even though this was a tough day, I made it through another tough one. Woo Hoo! And now the kitchen is closed. So, that makes 40 days down and on to day 41!

Have a great night, everyone. Tomorrow is Friday! TGIF!