Binge Free and Overeating Free in October.

You're on Page 5 of 18
Go to
  • Good Morning Everyone!

Just wanted to wish you a very healthy day! New day, fresh start. Thanks, everyone, for helping each other. That's what this thread is all about.

Thank you for your well wishes. Taking it easy. Have to teach on Monday.

7lbs., thanks for the beautiful photo! Wish I was back on the shore of SoCal, where I'm from. Miss it. Cherish it, 7lgs.
  • 7lbs -- wow is that gorgeous! My husband was just in that area for business and rented a bike and biked around 50 miles up and down the coast, he said it was spectacular! He biked from somewhere in La Jolla to Cabrillo National Monument, the pictures he sent me made me drool! I love that sort of coastline (here in Fla the coast is just plain old FLAT!).

Tyla -- Feel better, hon!
  • So great to read of daily victories - like Mak78 and Sum 38

A few days ago I was reading someone's weight loss success story,(and I'm sorry that I cannot attribute this to her because I can't find it again) but she said that whenever she found herself saying to herself or thinking the words "I may as well..." she immediately changed it to "I may as well NOT..."

I say "I may as well... really often, such as 'I may as well finish this packet of cookies - there are only 2 left' or I may as well go out and get box of doughnuts coz I need them to get over this bad day'

Well I tried her strategy, and added an emphatic NOT when I found myself doing this, and I was amazed that it actually worked. Not sure why but something in my brain made a switch and I found that I could not eat off plan. I think that the thoughts really changed - and as easy as it was for me to think 'I may as well' it became as easy to think 'Actually, I may as
    well NOT'
    Last night I was about to take some leftovers out the fridge and scarf them, but as I caught myself thinking I may as well just finish them, I thought actually, I may as well not, and holy moly I was happy to put them back. Woo Hoo
  • That's an awesome idea and anecdote musiclover, thanks for sharing that! That is exactly how you form new habits, and as you do it, the change will become easier and easier and more and more natural! Love it!

Hope everyone is having a great, healthy Saturday!

I will throw out this one piece of advice for us all today: don't stop coming here! Commit to yourself that you will check in daily -- even if it is just one, single post -- NO MATTER whether it has been a good day or a bad day, you will come and write down what happened.

It is easy, of course, to write about the good days. But often, when someone has a bad day, they don't post on that day. They want to "get back on track" before they post again. But as often happens to us, one bad day can turn into several bad days, then a week, then a month and then they disappear (for years -- and I'm talking about ME here, so I speak from experience). Instead of using the site to help halt the slide into constant binging and over eating, people will stay away, right when they need the site the most!

So prepare in your mind for a future bad day (I had one last week) and know that you will NOT disappear, you will NOT give up. You will come here and we will help!

I say this to myself as much as I say it to anyone! I will rely on you when I have a bad day -- and I will be here for you if you have one!
  • Sum38, there are three girls! I like it but it has it's challenges.
    Sometimes what keeps me from bingeing is the feeling that when I've made the choice not to, I feel really happy with myself. I also try to focus on how I'll feel after the binge, like bloated and sick, and tired from not being able to sleep. I heard someone once say that with a binge you have to stop eating eventually, so why not stop before you actually binge?
    One more thing that helps me stop a binge is when I'm feeling like I want to just eat, I do, but I eat something volume heavy and low calorie, like cucumber or raw zucchini. It doesn't have the sugar of fruit that makes me want to eat more, and it's not the kind of thing you want to keep eating when you're not hungry. Soon, eating it becomes not enjoyable anymore and I want to do something else. That's what's been helping me lately, anyway!
  • Quote: It is easy, of course, to write about the good days. But often, when someone has a bad day, they don't post on that day.
    You're so right about this, Mrs Snark. Many times when I overeat or binge, I feel bad and avoid posting. Mainly I feel that people here put so much effort into their weight loss and staying on plan, so if they're doing it, why can't I just muster up the willpower to do it myself. I'll try to post every day regardless of whether it was a good or bad day

I've been thinking about cutting down my portions further. Like I've mentioned before, I cut my portions almost in half (I don't count calories) and have cut out sodas completely. But I'm just not losing weight. I would ideally like to cut down my dinner portion which is normally a little bigger because I eat with my family and they really like cooking good stuff for dinner. One thing I'm worried about, though, is their reactions. Whenever they notice me taking less food, they ask about it and think I'm trying to starve myself. They mean well, and they are supportive of my weight loss efforts, but they don't know much about what I'm doing so to them, it just looks like I'm trying to eat much less and think it's unhealthy. How do I handle these questions?
  • I did it again today Did not binge.. On a weekend with a get together with friends I did not binge hooooooray!!!!!

7lbs - Ya it is always great to see the scale move

Sum38 - Thanks
  • I stayed within my calorie range fir today but I technically still overate because I ate most of my days calories at lunch. I forgot to take a snack with me when I went out mid morning ,and I let myself get to hungry which is a way that I have sabatoged my progress in the past but I know now that is one of the things that needs to change in my pattern so that I can reach my goals. I am proud of myself though because I did not continue to overeat and go over my daily calories so I guess I am counting this as an on plan day!

I was thinking about how I hoped I would have the courage to post even on my worst days and reading Mrs. Snarks words helped me to realize the importance of maintaining my commitment to coming here to give and get support. The truth is it's on my worst days that I need to practice all of the things that I have learned to do to help myself. So I will keep coming back because it is an important part of my over all plan.
  • Mak, good for coming back and posting!

Glad to see so many people doing well!

Thanks MrsSnark and 7 lbs. for your great contributions.

Hope everyone has a healthy day! It's all about health.
  • I had a fab day. I stayed OP all day. I had light lunch and saved a big bulk of calories (I am a calorie counter) for sushi dinner. YUM!
  • Thanks Mrs. Snark! That was really awesome to read.
    Sometimes it feels depressing on good days because I feel like a downward slide is inevitable, but coming here and checking in on the thread is really helpful. I also think it's interesting that when someone slips up it's easy to be compassionate toward them, yet when we slip up we are so hard on ourselves.
  • Sum, that's so fantastic!!

Nlauah, excellent work!!
  • oh no . Okay, like two hours after my previous post, I'm back, and with not good news. I didn't exactly binge, but I ate a lot of fruit, two apples, half a persimmon, and a bunch of tiny plums. This isn't bad food, but I'm trying to stay low-carb and now I'm worried it's going to kick me out of that low-carb/fat burning stage. .
  • Be proud you ate fruit. It sounds like about 300 calories, maybe 400. Stick to your plan now. Why don't you eat normally? (Fruits, veggies, protein and some fiber whole wheat carbs.) Sounds like your body is craving fruits and vegetables. Besides, there is a study from The American Psychological Association that states there is lower depression among people who eat like I said above. Good luck to you! You can do this! It's all up to you! By the way, I tried every diet there is, and I find fibrous carbs, proteins, veggies and fruit are the best for me, too! Count cals to get started. I believe in you!
  • Quote: Be proud you ate fruit. It sounds like about 300 calories, maybe 400. Stick to your plan now. Why don't you eat normally? (Fruits, veggies, protein and some fiber whole wheat carbs.) Sounds like your body is craving fruits and vegetables. Besides, there is a study from The American Psychological Association that states there is lower depression among people who eat like I said above. Good luck to you! You can do this! It's all up to you! By the way, I tried every diet there is, and I find fibrous carbs, proteins, veggies and fruit are the best for me, too! Count cals to get started. I believe in you!
    THANK YOU tyla!!! Seriously, I was sitting here feeling sad and lonely and depressed and I read your post and it really made me feel so much better. You're giving me strength! Thank you