Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #241  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Thank you momwithdogs!

I'm sorry you had a rough weekend, hang in there. Today is a new day to treat yourself right! You can do it!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #242  

hi. I weighed myself a few days ago and hit an all time high of 290. I don't want to see a 3 on my scale so i have to really commit. I'm confused on how to proceed. I binge and complusively overeat since pre teen and I am in early 30's now. I feel like weight loss surgery is my only hope so I feel physically too stuffed to eat .. I went to see a ED therapist about it a few times and it was helping, but they advocate not removing entire food groups but feel addicted to carbs as my biggest weakness so I think removing them is best. Maybe just sticking to the brown whole grain stuff would be best. I also go to online OA meetings on occasion but they don't help. I feel really out of control with my eating, hopefully reading others experiences will be helpful.
davina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #243  
I Can Change

S/C/G: 151/149.9/120

Height: 5'6"

Hi girls and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS SNARK!!! Awesome running weekend for a few, great stuff...

I binged yesterday again blah feel foggy this morning.

Welcome Davina- My therapist has encouraged me to eat 6 meals a day and build in treats- and it is not working! I am just gaining. I think cutting out problem foods entirely is the best way to go and I have had success with that in the past. We don't have a problem with variety of foods available so cutting out some is not going to hurt, at least until we build the confidence and belief in ourselves and can reintroduce them cautiously. That's my plan now anyway.

I have had another overeating/binging couple of days and have gained about 3lbs. I know given the slightest excuse I overeat and knowing I am pregnant has meant I have eaten things I normally avoid like cake and chocolatesas well as my normal food. I am not far enough along yet for this belly to be baby it's all fat. I am getting rid of the peanut butter and coconut syrup today- I was holding onto one last treat but moderation is not my game.

Last edited by tarabella; 10-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.
tarabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #244  

Thanks Tarabella. I think I've posted this in the wrong forum as it says binge and COE-FREE, sorry don't want to be a downer on uplifting forums.

I like your idea of 6 meals, the one thing that helped when I was seeing therapist was eating on the clock and not more than 3 hours max 4 apart with snack.
I don't really know how to space out my 3 bigger meals to 6 though, will have to look into that.
davina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 177/142.6/134

Height: 5'5

Welcome, davina!

Just got back from Zumba class (an hour) and did a 30 min DVD of weights. Feeling pretty good about those accomplishments. It's also Day 58 of self- control!

7lbs., good to see you! Congrats on running several miles!

MrsSnark, congrats on your running adventures, too.

Looks like everyone is doing pretty well.
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #246  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davina View Post
hi. I weighed myself a few days ago and hit an all time high of 290. I don't want to see a 3 on my scale so i have to really commit. I'm confused on how to proceed. I binge and complusively overeat since pre teen and I am in early 30's now. I feel like weight loss surgery is my only hope so I feel physically too stuffed to eat .. I went to see a ED therapist about it a few times and it was helping, but they advocate not removing entire food groups but feel addicted to carbs as my biggest weakness so I think removing them is best. Maybe just sticking to the brown whole grain stuff would be best. I also go to online OA meetings on occasion but they don't help. I feel really out of control with my eating, hopefully reading others experiences will be helpful.
Welcome Davina! I hope you are finding commonalities as you read through this forum, lots of good information and strategies in here. It would be very difficult for me to be binge-free without giving up the carby-salty snacks, so I can understand why you want to give them up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabella View Post
Hi girls and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS SNARK!!!
Thanks so much tarabella!!! I was thinking about the 6 meals a day plus treats thing. I can't do that, at all. It is way too much interfacing with food for me (as always, we are all different!). I do much better with 3 meals a day. I know hunger is our enemy, so often it is suggested to eat smaller meals more frequently, but I find if I eat quality foods at those 3 meals I avoid alot of hunger issues. Very occasionally, I'll have a piece of fruit between meals, usually if I run in the afternoon instead of them morning.

As for getting rid of the pb/coconut treat, maybe you can find something slightly less good (i.e. less triggery!) that still feels treaty? I do a frozen banana and natural pb sometimes, and while it is very tasty I never find myself obsessing on it or getting seconds. Winner winner winner, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyla View Post
Just got back from Zumba class (an hour) and did a 30 min DVD of weights. Feeling pretty good about those accomplishments. It's also Day 58 of self- control!
Day 58, so inspirational! You seem to really be rockin' the Zumba!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 10-29-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #247  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Hello everyone!

Welcome, Davina! I think you're on the right track to eliminate "white" carbs. They really just aren't good for our bodies. I think that generally therapists and nutritionist don't recommend removing entire food groups because 1) our bodies need those different groups and 2) it plays into the all-or-nothing mentality that many of us binge-eaters suffer from. One of my friends has had a lot of success by eating low-glycemic carbs, like berries, and eliminating high-glycemic carbs.

Tarabella, I agree with cutting out specific problem foods. For me, there are certain breakfast cereals that I simply will not buy. I just can't eat them in moderation. I have also cut way back on home baking for the same reason.

Mrs. Snark, belated happy birthday! I think a 5K is a great way to celebrate. I love the manatee pics on your blog -- how cool to have those in your backyard!

Tyla, on 58 days! You are an inspiration!

to anyone else who is reading!

After two weeks that involved mostly off-plan eating and one binge, I have been back on track for two days. Yay for me! I have found that having deadlines is helpful for me. Not saying, "After x day, I can eat whatever I want, (because I can never eat whatever I want)" but more like breaking time up into reasonable chunks. Right now, I'm focusing on clean eating until Thanksgiving. I have a plan for Halloween -- one serving of a dessert I'm bringing to our neighbor's party, and no more than 2 drinks -- and for a birthday dinner the next night. Then, I will focus on the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That is absolutely my hardest time of year, and I will have to set some specific, reasonable goals and really focus on coping mechanisms other than food.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #248  

S/C/G: 170/154/138

Default Hurraahh

Glad to see im not the only binger. Sugary food, chocolate, biscuits, cake nothing is safe. Then the epic self loathing post binge. Cant do a week without at least one!! Help!!
Speciallizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #249  
Michelle the Vegan

Welcome Lizzie!

Have a look through this forum and through this thread and you'll see lots of personal stories and strategies for tackling the binge issue! Lots of good information here!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #250  
Michelle the Vegan

We were pretty quiet yesterday, hopefully that was a good thing? Everyone doing ok and hanging in there? I can't believe we are almost to the end of October!

7lbs -- congrats on getting back into the "the groove" as I think of it. The deadlines and event planning help me as well. They make life seem so much more manageable! And thanks for the birthday wishes!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 10-30-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 177/142.6/134

Height: 5'5

Hey, all! I was extremely busy yesterday, which is always good for me to keep my mind occupied. So I was able to make it to day 60!!!!! This is a super big deal to me, because it was not easy at all. Lots of ups and downs this month. I also prayed a lot to get through it. Anyway, I'm getting ready for another exercise class I want to go to. I have to register for it, so I've gotta get going.

Best of luck to everyone!!!
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #252  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

Huge congrats Tyla!

I learned something these last few days, I have to try and work towards being an IE subscriber. As soon as I tell myself certain foods are off-limits or that I have to eat bc it's 'time,' my resilience falls to the wayside.

My head knows I'm supposed to say one day means nothing and to move on from it, but for me personally, it seems I say that too often and it's just becoming lip service; another one of those things to make me feel better and no more effective than eating a doughnut to soothe myself.

So girls, there's my pity party for the day and thank you all for coming!

momwithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #253  
I Can Change

S/C/G: 151/149.9/120

Big congratulations Tyla, amazing work and very inspiring for me to read.

Momwithdogs, I could just join in and we could have a festival!

Yeah yesterday, not so great again, but I can feel things shifting. I just battled in letting that Peanut Butter go, and thought about your suggestion of P.B. and frozen banana Mrs. Snark, thought about it alot...and pb and banana on ezekiel toast, and then back to p.b. and choc protein powder,...etc etc. But that stuff can come later when I feel more in control. The chocolate flavoured Sun Warrior protein is going today because that choc banana afternoon protein shake is just too rich to not make me want MORE FOOD....

I am realising it has to be, for me, not just no sugar but no sweets(no matter how healthy or non caloric the sweetener- except stevia I am keeping in my coffee), and no nuts, whatsoever, for at least a while. I'm going for 30 days to start. So Hopefully a binge/overeating free November for me.

That would be truly marvellous.

NO SWEETS NO NUTS NO IFS NO BUTS!

Last edited by tarabella; 10-30-2013 at 08:03 PM.
tarabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #254  
Michelle the Vegan

Happy Halloween all!

Tarabella -- when I start obsessing about a food item or dish, that's when I know it will be a problem. I think you're smart to just remove it all right now. Sadly, even after more than 6 months on plan I still can't have nuts of any sort or seeds either. I wish I could, but so far, no luck. I love your catch phrase!

Momwithdogs -- I was thinking about what you said about "moving on" becoming lip service. But for me, the idea of moving on is to move on to a healthy moment, a clean slate, and a chance to treat my body right instead of obsessing over a bad moment and allowing it to rule me. What used to happen was I'd be so caught up in the binge I'd just had that I'd have another, and another, and another, and never come up for air.

It isn't that "one day means nothing", surely if you are still binging there are things to consider -- what should you do differently to avoid the next one, are there foods you should remove, planning you could do, other strategies, etc.?

But it is just that when that bad day is over, it's OVER. You can't change the past. But you CAN change your future. You can change the very next MINUTE and it does COUNT. The bad day doesn't have to define what that future is, you get to do that.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #255  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

You're absolutely right, Mrs Snark.

I think I'm going to have to look at this as one meal at a time; a day is too much right now.

On the other hand, maybe that's me making excuses for myself, again.

Just as an aside, I think each of you are amazing women just for being here and when I say these things, I am only talking about myself. My sense of humor is very dry at times and I forget that y'all can't hear my tone over the net.

With that said...Happy Halloween ladies!

Luckily, I don't struggle too much with sweet things. I'm not screwed until around Thanksgiving, lol.
momwithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote