Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #1  

Unhappy Excuses

Perhaps this subject has gone around already, but I'm new so forgive me if it is redundant.

While on My Fitness Pal I came across a successful weight loss post that I wish I could share. In essence it said start right now, put down that snack, stop making excuses. Forget about what you last ate and concentrate on what you will do next.
She went on to describe her current situation ie: 3 jobs, 5 kids, etc. and she has lost so much weight despite these things that I would, no doubt, let get in my way.

What excuses do you find yourself making? Are they complete road blocks to where you want to go with your weight, or is it just stalling?

My excuses are: I'm Ok, as in healthy, so I don't have to worry about it right now.
I have (fill in the blank)....laundry, dishes, straightening the house, a nap, eating, call to make, bills to write out, etc....to do.
I need to relax, after all, I work ya know
I have to get to bed early
I'm upset, stressed, cranky,....
Wendyg311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #2  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Nice post. -- I have taken the one meal at a time attitude and I am in control what happens "now". I can't undo the past, but I can be in charge of my future. Unfortunately my past left me with 50 pounds worth baggage pounds, that I must address now (nearly 20 done, 30 to go).

We can do it, and step away from that cookie
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

It's the weekend! (there are 104 weekend days in a year ... counting Friday night as a meal in weekend mentality, I'll add another 18 days in there) for 122 "weekend" mentality days.

It's the holiday! (add another 12 holidays in there for thanksgiving, christmas, family birthday dinners, summer bbqs) ... now we're at 134 days that I want to find an excuse.

On vacation! (add in another 10 days or so for times when camping/hiking/vacationing that I don't stick to a real plan, despite added exercise) ... and I'm at 144 days out of 365 so I'm committing to it less than 2/3 of the time it seems.

An eye opener when I add it up! It's not motivation I need, it's just basic follow through. Thanks for your post. I needed that!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I used to have lot's of excuses; "I'm not really that fat", "I can eat whatever I want", "I never really gain that much anyway", "I'm getting older, who cares if I'm overweight?" "My husband's overweight, so it doesn't matter if I am."

But I'm so glad that I managed to break through those excuses and start losing weight. I'm almost to goal and though there are still temptations, I feel so much better mentally about having lost the weight.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #5  

AAhhhh YES......

I forgot about the Weekend, Holidays and Vacations
Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Living in the "now", such an important concept.

My husband and I were always going to "start being healthy on Monday (really, we mean it this time!)" so every weekend was a blowout eating extravaganza because we were perpetually going to "give all this stuff up on Monday so let's have it this weekend".

That went on for YEARS!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #7  

Great post! I agree with "living in the now". So vital to anything we could hope for later on. If you can't deal with "right now" you can't deal with later on either. Later on doesn't exist yet. When it arrives, it's no longer later on, but right now.

I found that when I would say, "I'll start tomorrow..." I was actually in denial. Why not start at this very moment? And if I fail (for whatever reason), why don't I start at the very moment I realize it? Again and again, if need be.

Usually, my excuse was - if I started RIGHT NOW, that means I can't eat this hot fudge sundae staring me in the face.

Or, it happened whenever I had a binge day, and felt consequent guilt over it. Not being able to face myself, I vowed to start again tomorrow. (And then tomorrow would come, and it was WASH, RINSE, REPEAT).

When I dealt with that exact moment of fear/pain/anger/guilt/whatever, the compulsion to eat was dealt with as well.
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #8  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

My excuse has been that I'm depressed, so I deserve something that makes my day brighter. The problem, however, is that I probably wouldn't be quite as depressed if I would stop eating so much to "comfort" myself. I'm not happy being fat, so why do I continue to keep myself there?
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

Wow, great post! It's crazy I use all of these!! It's the weekend, you only live once, I'm getting old/I'm getting married (I don't need to attract anyone), I'm depressed, live in the now, don't restrict yourself!
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkeberry View Post
My excuse has been that I'm depressed, so I deserve something that makes my day brighter. The problem, however, is that I probably wouldn't be quite as depressed if I would stop eating so much to "comfort" myself. I'm not happy being fat, so why do I continue to keep myself there?
Totally this! Except it can be any emotion like I'm "stressed" or I'm "too busy" or I'm "having a bad day" or "I'm anxious!." Anxiety seems to be the biggest one for me. It's like I feel jittery, not calm at all and only a shot of carbs will help. I hate addiction.

I rely a lot on motivational quotes. One of my favorites is "Someone busier than you is on a treadmill right now."
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/147

Height: 5'8"

Wannabeskinny, LOVE your reply. I'm one of those "had a rough day" and "I'm too busy" girls too. Excuses, excuses. But I am going to print out your quote..."someone busier than you is on a treadmill right now." Brilliant!
konablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #12  

Yes, it's true. I think of all the busy executives, Moms, students.......who have much less time than me but still do it.
Actually I myself used to get on the treadmill 2x's a day when I was raising a child by myself. Now he is off to college and I can't even take the clothes off of it.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #13  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

I'm not making excuses right now, I have very clear ambitious weight loss goals for this year and I need to focus every minute of every day to achieve them!!!

But I sure can remember when I lacked this focus.

When I wasn't on a diet, most days I would start off "Today is the first day of my diet" and by dinner time I would feel too tired to cook anything so we'd get something to go and it would be greasy and unhealthy or it would be healthy, but I'd eat way too much of it. Then I would be up all night feeling like a failure, resolve to do better the following day and repeat.

When I have been in a diet in the past I would get to a point where I would say, "Just one day off won't matter, I've reached a milestone and I can slack off." Then my cravings would kick in and I would be sunk.

This time is different because my goals are set in stone. Having such strict goals may not work for everyone, but it keeps me from making excuses.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/178/135

Height: 5'5"

Ah, excuses. Let's see...

"I'm really tired. I'll just work out harder tomorrow"
"It's just one day, and if I finish this cake/bottle of wine/tub of ice cream then it will be gone, and I can get back on track tomorrow"
"I don't have that much to lose, so I can start Monday and just enjoy the weekend"
"I can't run because of these stupid stress fractures, so I should just take a week or two off all together"
"I can't work out at home because between my son and the dog I can't get a moment's peace"
"I can't sleep, so I'll shut off my alarm and work out in the afternoon instead"

And the list goes on. It's getting embarrassing how easily I let myself make excuses...and then I get mad at myself when I realize that I've lost and gained the same five pounds for over a year. It's time to cut the BS and just do it!
AJ'sAwesomeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyg311 View Post
Yes, it's true. I think of all the busy executives, Moms, students.......who have much less time than me but still do it.
Actually I myself used to get on the treadmill 2x's a day when I was raising a child by myself. Now he is off to college and I can't even take the clothes off of it.
wendy, I cracked up at this...my elliptical runner is the most convenient clothes rack in my house!
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote