3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   Binge-free in July! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/284190-binge-free-july.html)

Granola 07-01-2013 09:03 AM

Binge-free in July!

Yet another thread to stay accountable. Feel free to introduce yourself, your problems and anything else on your mind as relates to binging.

June was a fairly tumultuous month for me and many others and net I don't think I've lost anything in the past month but hopefully we've all learned something about our eating habits that can be put to good use this month, and if this month isn't great there's always next month. Personally I continue to binge on Sunday's for no reason other than the fact that it's Sunday. I wish I could remove that day from the calendar.

avery12 07-01-2013 10:38 AM

Yes!

Yes! So down for the challenge! This is my first attempt to go this long binge free so I'm apprehenesive about it but I've been getting much better at stopping myself before a binge recently. Do any of you more experienced users have any advice or strategies for making it binge free?

NYFLAgirl 07-01-2013 10:39 AM

Hello everyone! I'm actually excited to see this thread as Saturday was a very bad day for me. I've been doing great with my weight loss and exercise but something snapped with me on Saturday and I had one of my worse binges in a while.

I haven't had a binge for months and nothing particularly bad or emotional happen on Saturday or that week to explain why I did it. I wanted pizza (my trigger binge food) and so I had it. A large cheese pizza that I ate by myself. And a full order of buffalo wings. And a large Dairy Queen blizzard. I felt absolutely awful afterwards and had trouble sleeping Saturday night because of all of the food and carbs in my system. The worse was that I was up 6 lbs after just breaking through a major stall in my weight loss.

I still don't know why I did it-it was so stupid! I'm really mad at myself and disappointed. But I can't turn back time. What's done is done and I just have to move forward.

Granola 07-01-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avery12 (Post 4783509)
Yes! So down for the challenge! This is my first attempt to go this long binge free so I'm apprehenesive about it but I've been getting much better at stopping myself before a binge recently. Do any of you more experienced users have any advice or strategies for making it binge free?

I stopped eating bread/rice/corn carbs for the past week and that cut my cravings down significantly, I was honestly amazed at how in control I felt. I binged very badly yesterday but I do that every Sunday it seems, 100% psychological not physiological.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYFLAgirl (Post 4783512)
Hello everyone! I'm actually excited to see this thread as Saturday was a very bad day for me. I've been doing great with my weight loss and exercise but something snapped with me on Saturday and I had one of my worse binges in a while.

I haven't had a binge for months and nothing particularly bad or emotional happen on Saturday or that week to explain why I did it. I wanted pizza (my trigger binge food) and so I had it. A large cheese pizza that I ate by myself. And a full order of buffalo wings. And a large Dairy Queen blizzard. I felt absolutely awful afterwards and had trouble sleeping Saturday night because of all of the food and carbs in my system. The worse was that I was up 6 lbs after just breaking through a major stall in my weight loss.

I still don't know why I did it-it was so stupid! I'm really mad at myself and disappointed. But I can't turn back time. What's done is done and I just have to move forward.

I feel you on not knowing why you did it, I wasn't even having cravings yesterday but I still binged. I think I'm genuinely afraid of success, like if I ever meet this goal I won't know what to do next.

Pink Hurricane 07-01-2013 02:18 PM

Yesterday my husband and I had a big cookout with friends and I definitely binged but we had such a great time!

I will be going all of July without a binge, I am promising myself that. Taking it one day at a time! :D

KittyKatFan 07-01-2013 11:08 PM

Got thru Day 1...

missunshine 07-02-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granola (Post 4783518)

I feel you on not knowing why you did it, I wasn't even having cravings yesterday but I still binged. I think I'm genuinely afraid of success, like if I ever meet this goal I won't know what to do next.

this is exactly my problem! but i'm slowly working on it.

i need to keep me accountable today. i woke up too early and i'm so sleepy but i have to study and i'm trying to take a nap but my mind won't shut off.
i already ate to much cookies and it's only a lunch hour.
i hope i can make it today without binging. i woke up and the scale moved a little since yesterday. i hope it moves more when i finish my tom. surprisingly this month i had no crazy pms cravings. go figure.

Healthymeanshappy 07-02-2013 10:31 PM

I have a really bad issue with binge eating at night after dinner. I do it every night eat a little bit of everything.

Pink Hurricane 07-03-2013 06:33 AM

I know it's early, but I had a great start to Day 3 with a berry smoothie with almond milk for breakfast and a cup of earl grey tea with a teaspoon of natural honey. I also have an orange but I am probably going to save that for morning snack. Breakfast is usually my smaller meal for the day, so I feel very satisfied.

I plan on having my chia fresca drink with my morning snack before I workout, it helps keep me full and give me plenty of energy. I know what I am making for my husband and I for dinner, just not sure what I am going to make for lunch yet.

Andrea85 07-03-2013 01:32 PM

Monday was great, Tuesday was....ok. I wouldn't say I binged, but I did snack more than I needed to! Today has been on plan so far, and I am currently trying to avoid snacking by cleaning up, playing on the internet, a little bit of work, and I may turn on the TV (not a trigger for me).

My next snack is planned for, but I'm trying to wait an hour!!

Granola 07-03-2013 03:08 PM

Today and yesterday have involved over eating but they both felt like special occasions so I'm not too upset, I still feel confident that the rest of the month will be good.

anm17 07-03-2013 08:54 PM

I definitely want to challenge myself to a month of binge-free eating. I do not know if I have gone a straight month without overdoing it. I just want to feel free of food's control over me. Food seems to be on my mind 24/7 :/ If I'm not eating it, I am thinking about it or trying to fight the temptations. Regardless, food rules my thoughts. I am trying to fill my free time with more activities (even tried a zumba class for the first time tonight, everyone should try it :) ) Let's see if I can make it through this month :)

KittyKatFan 07-03-2013 09:37 PM

So far so good for July...

avery12 07-04-2013 08:29 AM

Doing well so far! Today is and hopefully continues to be my 7th day binge-free! I'm very happy because I usually break down every 5 days or so...But I have two essays to write this weekend and little else to do so I'm really on my guard because lack of structure and academic stress are my too biggest triggers...Got to stay strong! Wish me luck, lovelies! :smug:

Pink Hurricane 07-04-2013 08:46 AM

This week is going so great for me and it's refreshing! I feel like I really do have a lot of control over my eating now, so I want to keep that power and use it to my advantage!

Granola 07-04-2013 09:37 AM

Good luck to everyone on the 4th of July, I don't think I should have a problem with the holiday but today will be the first day I feel comfortable calling day one binge free.

missunshine 07-06-2013 07:12 PM

well i definitely overate/binged a little today. first it was fruits and then a little too much of nutella. i was anxious because of exams and we had people coming over to see the appartment so i couldn't study. i hope tomorrow will be better, i was really trying hard this week to lose 2 pounds but i guess i'll have to work on it some more.

good luck y'all!

anm17 07-06-2013 08:11 PM

Yeah, the 4th was a little hard for me too. I wouldn't say I binged per se, but I definitely ate more than I should have. All we have to do is keep working on it :)

Granola 07-07-2013 01:45 AM

I think I broke even these last 2 days, as long I can make it to Monday without losing it I should be good to start a good week.

danzingurl77 07-07-2013 11:34 AM

I would like to join also... I havent been here in a while- havent been doing much better or worse- I'm hoping to make this non-bingeing stick at some point. I'm still bingeing every 7-10 days.. :( I just had two pretty bad days in a row. I havent had as much time as I used to to exercise either with teaching dance classes, working at a resaurant, going to school full-time, and I just started CNA training yesterday also. I hate that I binged yesterday- especially because Sunday is my only day off to get a long run in and catch up on homework and house-cleaning... but I feel so bloated and gross and defeated that I dont want to do ANYTHING.. ugh. :(

I love that I can come vent on this thread... I think it helps to just get it out.

Heres to day 1- and getting through the rest of July!!

SkinnyGina 07-08-2013 10:31 PM

Hey! First week of July is starting out good so far. I did Binge two days...but I have been lasting for six days now (a new record for me!). So very excited about what July has stored for me:) I am moving so that is helping me keep busy.

Granola 07-09-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danzingurl77 (Post 4787810)
I would like to join also... I havent been here in a while- havent been doing much better or worse- I'm hoping to make this non-bingeing stick at some point. I'm still bingeing every 7-10 days.. :( I just had two pretty bad days in a row. I havent had as much time as I used to to exercise either with teaching dance classes, working at a resaurant, going to school full-time, and I just started CNA training yesterday also. I hate that I binged yesterday- especially because Sunday is my only day off to get a long run in and catch up on homework and house-cleaning... but I feel so bloated and gross and defeated that I dont want to do ANYTHING.. ugh. :(

I love that I can come vent on this thread... I think it helps to just get it out.

Heres to day 1- and getting through the rest of July!!

I made it through Sunday (also a problem day for me) but then today was a disaster, at least you have the excuse of being very busy! My hours at work just got cut from 25 to 7 (outdoor/active job) so now I'm way less active AND I'm home all day = recipe for disaster that I did not anticipate but I know now so I won't do it again. I should think more highly of myself, we're all bigger (figuratively...) and more capable than this. It's 12am, so here's to a good Tuesday!

Pink Hurricane 07-09-2013 09:09 AM

I've done really well so far this month, had a bit too much ice cream last night with DH BUT I was still within my calorie limits. Barely, but still where I should be at 1540 calories. :D So yes, even though I wanted to inhale the rest of the carton, I stopped. Whew, it was close...

BrittBit 07-09-2013 05:04 PM

Hello everyone!
My name is Brittney. I can't really say that I'll be binge free for July but hopefully I'll be able to say that I have been binge free for the second half of July.
I started off the month well and then I went to Southern California to visit some girlfriends for the 4th of July. I was expecting my diet to be pretty bad during my little vacation but surprisingly, it was really acceptable. I made it through the whole vacation but then I get home yesterday and hit full-throttle which continued on to today. What the ****? How do I make through a holiday vacation with tons of alcohol and no inhibitions only to come home and completely clean out my fridge, freezer, and pantry!?! I don't even understand how so much food fits inside me. Ugh!
Well, tomorrow is a new day. I really want to focus on being healthy and letting my food provide me with the nutrition I need. I hope that being held accountable will help me and I encourage all your advice and support. :)

Granola 07-09-2013 11:39 PM

Yeah, the urge to binge can hit you when you least expect it, I wake up somedays with the thought of "wow, I have no urge at all to binge, today will be great", let my guard down and before you know it... Anyway today was day one for me and I'd like to think it went pretty well, hopefully tomorrow is good for you Britt, we're not even 1/3 done with July.

Pink Hurricane 07-10-2013 09:50 PM

So I have been hit with the urge to binge today but I'm holding out, I worked out instead now I am going to kick back and play some video games and email my husband while he is working tonight. I do have carrots on hand just in case I get hungry, but I refuse to binge, I've already lost another pound for the week!

BrittBit 07-11-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granola (Post 4789703)
Yeah, the urge to binge can hit you when you least expect it, I wake up somedays with the thought of "wow, I have no urge at all to binge, today will be great", let my guard down and before you know it... Anyway today was day one for me and I'd like to think it went pretty well, hopefully tomorrow is good for you Britt, we're not even 1/3 done with July.

Thanks Granola! Yes, I think having 2/3 of July left still leaves plenty of days for a major accomplishment. I actually don't think I have ever made it a full month binge free in my life! Has anyone accomplished that, who's doing this challenge? If so, how? Also, if you have, how long have you been living with the addiction? Hope these questions aren't too personal.
I have been living with my addiction for 15 years. I can pinpoint the exact moment it started and why, but that hasn't seemed to help me resolve the issue...

Granola 07-11-2013 09:43 PM

I been good since Monday (though I'm still carrying a bit of weight from that binge) but today, like 10 minutes ago, I ate my pre dinner snack, it didn't taste very good and I immediately rationalized to myself that I should just eat dinner now (I'm not going to bed for about 5-6 hrs and I'm just about to go to the gym so I'd be starving by bedtime if I ate dinner now). So I begin preparing it and while the egg white is cooking (yes, for dinner) I think to myself "You know what, I can wait". Probably a combination of satiety sinking in from the snack and the mental acknowledgement that this kind of spontaneous eating is how most of my binges start allowed me to hold off. I'm very happy that I was able to stop myself (though I did a little snacking on the ingredients) but am concerned that I thought eating dinner so early would be an okay idea. I'm glad I can share the experience here and am confident now that the rest of the night will be fine.

Does anyone else get tempted to overeat after a disappointing meal? How do you deal with it?

danzingurl77 07-12-2013 05:19 PM

Granola- I sometimes do get triggered by an unstaisfying meal- especially one that doesn't seem "filling". I start to panic thinking that I will have to be hungry for the rest of the day (somehow the thought is terrifying- even though being hungry for a few hours should NOT be such a huge deal). Anyways- I panic and suddenly want to eat everything.

Today is day 6 for me- I'm feeling pretty hungry but have a ton of veggies around to munch on so I think I'll be okay. My "mini goal" is to make it to July 23 because I have an audition for a dance company and I need to look & feel my best!!

Granola 07-12-2013 06:03 PM

So I participated in this paid psychological study and in the end they give you randomly assigned food to take home (I did not know about this part!), I got spaghetti and cheesecake, two things I haven't had in months and would never buy. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away so I went ahead and ate them and then ate a bunch of other stuff in my kitchen which I'm not going to bother listing. I should probably constitute that as a binge as the amount of food I ate was completely uncontrolled but it wasn't nearly as bad as Monday in that I haven't gone to any fast food restaurants and I did not eat to the point of passing out.

The worst part is, even now I don't how I could have possibly stopped myself, the whole thing felt inevitable as soon as they handed me a container of cheesecake, that's something I'll have to think about. *Sigh* Well, it could have been much much worse. I suppose tomorrow will be the new Day 1.

EDIT: And now it's become a full binge, tomorrow is definitely day one.

2nd EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and use this post to document all of tonight's eating problems.

After a bit a internal arguing I got into my car and headed to the nearest drug store to buy ice cream and whatever else looked appetizing to binge myself into a proper food coma, I was standing in the frozen section nearly motionless for 2-3 pondering whether to go for the Haigen Daaz or the store brand when reason kicked in and I asked myself what the **** I was doing, why I thought eating a piece of cheesecake excused inhaling an entire kitchen, and what I planned to do when the pint of ice cream was empty.

It was tough and I probably looked odd to the employees but I managed to leave with seltzer water and gum, I picked up a black coffee on the way home from Starbucks (I don't really want it but buying a 'speciality' drink that comes in a nice cup was psychologically satisfying) and here I am. Of course angry and disappointed with myself for undoing the past 3 days but also content with the my ability to deal with these emotions now instead of procrastinating until tomorrow morning with another 3k calories flowing through my system.

From now on I'm going to immediately throw away any food unexpectedly given to me if it cannot be reasonably fit into my next meal, no questions asked, and instead of taking a "I messed up, I might as well binge" response to over eating I'll think the about the extra 2 days of my life I'll have to spend disappointed in myself for every 1 pint of ice cream.

KittyKatFan 07-12-2013 10:21 PM

Just passed the week five binge-free mark. My previous record is 19 weeks so I have a long way to go to top that, but after such a challenging April, May, and early June it just feels good to be back on track.

I'm so proud of my progress. I actually was able to bake a cake tonight and I only ate one normal-sized slice. In the past, I wouldn't have been able to eat only one slice; I would have eaten the whole thing. This moderation thing might just be working :)

missunshine 07-14-2013 05:37 PM

omg, kitty i just came here to announce that i baked today and didn't binge on it and i'm so proud and i read your post that you baked too. hehe and great job on week five ;)
i stopped counting my days but so far so good. trying to lose some weight untill a wedding in august, am exercising a bit and notice a little change in my booty which is great.

KittyKatFan 07-14-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missunshine (Post 4792813)
omg, kitty i just came here to announce that i baked today and didn't binge on it and i'm so proud and i read your post that you baked too. hehe and great job on week five ;)
i stopped counting my days but so far so good. trying to lose some weight untill a wedding in august, am exercising a bit and notice a little change in my booty which is great.

Isn't it amazing to be able to cook or bake something and leave the majority of it sitting in the pan? :smug: that may not be a big deal to normal eaters but it is a HUGE sign of progress for me...and for you too, I'm guessing.

Because I live alone, I can't eat the whole cake before it would go bad (there are about nine portions there). I had one piece on Friday, one on Saturday, and a few bites today. I put two more portions into individual containers, then threw out the rest. I didn't want to be tempted, and I think the rest would go bad before I ate them.

I have never allowed myself to cook something that is more than one portion, or to buy anything that isn't wrapped in individual portions because I will eat the whole thing. Maybe it is time to start thinking about buying a bag of something, like cookies, and see if I can just eat one serving.

Granola 07-15-2013 01:04 AM

Today and yesterday were both very good and I feel good about going into this next week, even though I've said that most weeks for months now, it's still not a bad feeling to have. I started buying peanut butter ('healthy' trouble food #1) and raisins (#2) in single serving packages so no more extra spoonfuls here and there.

2nd half of July incoming (that was fast), good luck to everyone going forward.

littlefatcat 07-15-2013 03:05 PM

Committing to being binge free for rest of July!

Been bingeing for three days. Sixteen days left in July. Committing to being binge free for the REST of July!

Granola 07-16-2013 12:59 AM

@littlefatcat Serial binges are the worst, I always feel that I've done enough damage and should be satisfied at this point AND that I should continue eating any and everything because why stop now.

1...2...3..and...STOP

Good luck to you.

Day 3 went well for me :-)

BrittBit 07-16-2013 03:12 AM

Ugh! Well, I guess tomorrow is the new Day 1! :(:(:(

littlefatcat 07-17-2013 10:48 AM

New day one for me too! Here we go, I can do this!

Granola 07-17-2013 01:51 PM

Prepackaged single servings of peanut butter have made my life much easier...

Intro to Day 5 is going well.

missunshine 07-18-2013 11:01 AM

@kittykat yeah i think it's hard if you're living alone but then again you have the freedom to buy and eat whatever you want, there is no one to bring home the bad stuff except you and you don't have to hide food from anyone (sometimes i eat in secrecy). it's a double edged sword

so yesterday, after a two day frustrational studying for my exam which i could have passed without opening a book, i was so angry and i planned a binge but the events in the next few hours didn't quite gave me a chance to have one so i kinda postponed it to today and except for a handful of wafers i'm still on plan. lol. who would have thought. i guess the anxiety from the exams is going away slowly but the scales this morning totally dissapointed me. i hope it shows some progress on monday.