binge!!!

• Every time I reach a certain weight the binge eat cycle begins. Its like my body is fighting to stay at this weight!! any one else experienced this?

is it a mental thing or is it an actual reaction of my body going into shock trying to keep hold of my fat?!

it makes me laugh because i binge due to anxiety but the anxiety is much greater following the binge!! just ashame i wont remember this next time i get the urge haha

sick of being stuck at this weight now! its literally been years grrr....
  • You posted in the right forum! By owning the binge, it shows you taking control of it!

I always try to destroy food for a binge. It sounds horribly wasteful but it deters me from the next one! For example, I bought some cocount macaroons the other day. There was only a huge quantity so that was my first mistake! After about six, i thought...screw it! I know what happens next! I proceeded to pour dish soap over them and then felt very in control. So, for me, it's a mix of keeping those foods out of the house but also recognizing a binge when it happens.

Good luck to you!
  • Quote: I always try to destroy food for a binge. It sounds horribly wasteful but it deters me from the next one! For example, I bought some cocount macaroons the other day. There was only a huge quantity so that was my first mistake! After about six, i thought...screw it! I know what happens next! I proceeded to pour dish soap over them and then felt very in control. So, for me, it's a mix of keeping those foods out of the house but also recognizing a binge when it happens.
    Boy, this reminded me of a story from years ago. My parents were still alive and my dad was working at an office with a bunch of women. (he was well past retirement age but had an opportunity to take this job to increase his government retirement benefits) Anyway, one of them was this young woman who had lost a tremendous amount of weight - well over 100 lbs. When maintaining she would be scrupulous about her eating all during the week, but she had a routine that on Sunday she'd go to this local restaurant after Mass and order this big meal, complete with dessert. It so happened that my mom and dad would take me to this same restaurant when I visited (we'd also go after Mass) and we would often see her in there. She'd eat her meal, get a big sundae, eat about half and then pour salt all over it.

I have often heard of people doing this but never actually saw anyone do it. I always admired her for her self-control, but she said after losing all that weight she wasn't about to regain it. I haven't seen her in many many years (probably about 20) and it made me think about her and wonder if she managed to keep it off. I hope so.
  • I can't find it right now, but someone posted a link to a "natural weight" (or something like that) calculator that tells you what your "natural weight" weight is....meaning, the weight your body "wants" to be. You have to enter a lot of information, such as highest weight, average weight, etc.... I am probably not making much sense...does anyone remember that thread?
  • I don't actually believe in a natural weight or "set point" or anything like that. Instead, I agree with the notion of a "settling point," which is where your MIND is happiest (meaning the mental part of you that balances enjoyment of food with desire for a svelte body). IMO, our settling points are a product of our mental/emotional response to food rather than the physiological dictates of our bodies.

Freelance

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpt...ettling-point-
  • it totally happened to me too...my body wants to be at this weight i'm at right now, if i loose 10 pounds i regain them and the cycle continues. i even got my period back after i lost and regained some weight back...but the problem is i don't want to b at this weight!! i keep changing my final goal but i have a hard time losing even 5 pounds :/ i started working on toning my body so we'll see where that gets me...
  • Quote: You posted in the right forum! By owning the binge, it shows you taking control of it!

I always try to destroy food for a binge. It sounds horribly wasteful but it deters me from the next one! For example, I bought some cocount macaroons the other day. There was only a huge quantity so that was my first mistake! After about six, i thought...screw it! I know what happens next! I proceeded to pour dish soap over them and then felt very in control. So, for me, it's a mix of keeping those foods out of the house but also recognizing a binge when it happens.

Good luck to you!
    I did the exact same thing yesterday! My dad asked if I wanted fish, I say yeah but then comes a plate of fish, fries, and corn! I had about 5 fries (it's been so long since I've had any) and a couple spoons of corn then threw the rest away, it would have done me more harm then good. I knew I had to pour soap over it because just last week I threw away 3 poptarts mid binge (still in the packaging, but this hardly mattered), dug them out the next day and ate them all! I've even gone through dishes lined with cake batter that I had already filled with water (but no soap) so now it's throw away and DESTROY.

I understand how you feel about a natural weight, but, assuming you indeed are still losing weight with your current calorie intake, it's not a physical necessity so much as a natural desire for your body to maintain itself. I partially agree with freelancemomma that it's largely mental but, on the other hand, cravings themselves are physiological. Think about how long you've had that stubborn extra fat, your body is probably wondering 'Hey, what are you doing with that? It's been here forever, leave it alone! One of us!' prompting you to crave the stuff it needs immediately to maintain. I have little doubt the cravings will temper down eventually but I've been bingeing so frequently and for so long I can't say for sure.