3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   Binge-free in May! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/280788-binge-free-may.html)

seabiscuit 05-03-2013 01:48 AM

great support here :)

I love the support here on this thread and in all of these forums...

I don't know why I am up at almost 2 am, what time it is now and guess what, I want to eat biscotti. I said in my previous post that I was going to not eat so many carbs. Maybe I will have a glass of skim milk instead.

I agree, the accountability factor is important to me. It's great that we have each other here to support one another.

I placed my first supermarket order online last night. I think it went pretty well but I added in a few starchy snacks that I didn't need. I didn't order that many though and maybe I will put them into separate Ziploc bags when they arrive.

Good night. Maybe now, I will finally drift off to zzzland - my snoresabee! Sweet dreams.

Take care.

Bunnydream 05-03-2013 02:01 AM

I am in, too! Binge-free May!

I feel a bit afraid at the moment though.

I've been counting my calories on LoseIt since last monday and it's been great, but I can barely sleep at night. I am going to weigh myself on Saturday and I am anxious to get the first 5 pounds off. I keep having dreams that I go to the fridge and cook fries and burgers and just all the food I'm craving! I'm afraid that I'm going to binge, or almost have already, even though I have been counting and keeping track.
Like for instance, I'm trying to JUST count calories, and I am well within my budget, but I ate foods like ice cream and pizza pops because I wanted something bad. I still counted the calories that day and didn't go over, but for some reason I am agonizing over what I've even eaten today.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Obviously I need to calm down and I'm almost being obsessive, I see that, but what can I do to calm myself without completely cheating?

I can't sleep at night no matter how hard I try. I just want the next day to come so I can hit the gym. Did anyone else have this happen to them?

EskaDee 05-03-2013 04:38 AM

PaintedPonies congratulations on reaching day 12! The same thing happens to me -not bingeing and then still not losing weight. I figure my body is just hanging on to the food I binged on for a while before it lets go and then the scales finally move. Keep strong!
SeaBiscuit I hope you made a good choice at 2 am and figured out what was keeping you up. I know it is helpful for me to have a few 'treats' occasionally and I have to work really hard not to beat myself up about it. You can eat some of the snacks you like in moderation, it sounds like you have a good plan!
Bunnydream I think that your obsessiveness affects a lot (all?) of people when they start counting calories and work on losing weight. I spend so much of my waking hours thinking about what I am going to eat, what I am not going to eat, how much exercise did I do, how can I exercise more, is there more calories in that or this, should I just eat it anyway cos I want it etc... that it starts to take over your 'sleeping hours' and your dreams. I can imagine that if you are feeling anxious on top of that, then it would extend into sleeplessness too. I think, for me, it has been one of those things that I have just adjusted to. When you see the scales move, then it seems worth it somehow! You just have to be careful to remember that there is more to life than weight loss, and not let it take over - even though that seems so hard in the beginning!

I'm feeling particularly proud as I managed to avoid a binge yesterday after I had a free personal training session at my new gym! I genuinely thought I was about to die only 10 minutes in, and all I could think was 'I wonder what thing I shouldn't have eaten did this to me?!!' I'm too young to be worrying that my heart is about to stop because I am so overweight and I not only didn't binge, but I ate healthily the rest of the day and I'm feeling so motivated today as well. I hope I can carry that horrible feeling with me whenever I go to the supermarket to avoid buying the things I will binge on. I have a feeling May is going to be a good month for kicking the binges forever!!!
Wow, sorry that was so long! I hope everyone else is having a good day today.

TexaninItaly 05-03-2013 04:41 AM

Can I join your anti binge group? I think it will help me stay in control.

Last night I ate a pint of ice cream followed by 3 chocolate power bars in a row. :frypan:

That pretty much constitutes a binge.... so today is my first day of being binge free.

themilesawaygirl 05-03-2013 06:12 AM

I haven't done any exercise or logged my food since Monday. I know that i've definitely eaten too much, but I don't think I've had a binge. So lets say this is successful for May.

I say I don't *think* as I'm never sure where I cross the line from snacking too much to full-on binging. It's the level of self control - if I snack too much but stop before everything's all gone, then I guess that's a small victory.

seabiscuit 05-03-2013 06:35 AM

Hi again! Welcome to the newbies on this thread, I am new on this thread too...

I did have skim milk earlier but then I went back for the biscotti, but hey, at least it was one piece and it was biscotti not cake, right? At least I know now that the skim milk is satisfying to me, so perhaps I drink that again instead of reaching for the food. I think satisfaction, taste, texture, are all key for me.

This is great that we have a place to support each other.

Here's a thought provoking question chicks, why do you think you binge? I do it out of response to stress or other emotion.

Have a nice day...

:sunny:

inglesita64 05-03-2013 08:56 AM

I am not bingeing now, but when I did it was because I thought I was not good enough. I discovered that feeling was the reason for most of my fits...
As to cravings, lowering the amount of carbs and "cleaning our palate" works wonders. We tend to eat what we last ate, so we need to break the cycle so our cravings are sort of reoriented to other foods. Of course you won't "crave" lettuce, but at least you will stop thinking obssessively about other foods.
And as to obssessing over your weight, it is quite "normal"! At least in this web site! LOL But really, slow down, Bunnydream, give your body the time it needs to lose weight. You cannot rush it.
Congrats to us all, who are avoiding binges and growing more aware of our real needs!

Bunnydream 05-03-2013 10:30 AM

EskaDee- Yeah, I just have a lot of extra stress and I'm making a huge change in my lifestyle. In a month or two I will be switching jobs and starting my Esthetician program in late aug. Which is very exciting but also nerve-wracking. But hey, I have anxiety issues so I have to make sure I keep it in check! I'm the biggest worry-wart ever. But I can do this, I know I can. I'm determined to stay binge free! Once I see the scale move I will probably calm down haha. Thank you for the advice.

And yes, I need to give it actual time! Good weight loss isn't rushed!

seabiscuit 05-03-2013 02:43 PM

I am glad I joined this site and this thread! I am a bit nervous because I ordered my groceries online and they will be delivered soon. Some of the food that I ordered is healthier than others but there aren't any pastries this week in the order which is big for me! I ordered some foods that I am afraid of overeating on, I don't want to binge. I think now that I am more aware of not wanting to binge, I'll limit myself to a certain amount. I want to get freed of this obsession with food and be successful, hopefully I will do that finally.

Thanks for listening. Be well.

inglesita64 05-05-2013 12:59 AM

There's cake and icecream in the fridge, and I just had a scoop of icecream and stopped! Isn't that great? :cp:

EskaDee 05-05-2013 12:15 PM

Way to go, inglesita64, I'm proud of you!

So far, I have managed to avoid bingeing since I started the gym properly last Thursday. I have felt the cravings, my brain was trying to talk me into stopping off on the way home from a friend's today to either buy all the food in the supermarket or just to get 'something little' from any fast food restaurant it could talk me into and I resisted. According to the scales this morning, I lost 3lbs and the thought of that and the memory of the horrendous gym incident kept me away from the food. I really, really hope that the memory will keep me away from bingeing as I am so sick of it now.
I'm sending positive weekend vibes out to everyone that's struggling today.

EliseVi 05-05-2013 01:23 PM

EskaDee, congrats on going to the gym and preventing yourself from bingeing....and congrats on being three pounds down! Woo hoo.

Inglesita64 -- that is MAJOR. Wow. Good for you!

TheMilesAwayGirl -- Whenever I can finish a meal and feel satisfied, not stuffed or over-full, I count that as a victory. Sometimes I do eat more than I really "need" or I find myself eating quickly if I'm stressed, but if I can be tuned into my body, I'm pretty darn pleased with myself!

TexanInItaly -- Your emoticon made me chuckle! Good for you for stopping the binge after one night and starting fresh! It's often way too easy to make excuses to let binges go on and on for hours and days. (That just can't be me, can it?!) Day one/Hour one can start whenever you say!

I've been exercising a lot lately and icing various injuries/sore points. Yesterday I felt really good and exercised a ton, and didn't let myself get negative when I was on the tennis courts seemingly surrounded by women in cute tennis skirts with smooth legs. (If I think about the state of my thighs and upper arms I will just give up and binge.) But today I am up FOUR POUNDS. I saw that this morning and my first thought was of all of the breakfast foods I "might as well go eat," but since part of my May goal is to not let my scale control my mood, I'm reminding myself that swollen muscles retain a lot of water. Plus, I feel so good when I exercise and feel myself getting stronger....I have to remember that being healthy and stronger and not escaping into food are the goals here.

Good luck, everyone. :-)

inglesita64 05-05-2013 01:30 PM

Good, EliseVi! That¿s the way to go! It is better to space the weigh-ins, because in women weight fluctuates a lot. Also, we don't want to lose weight, but to lose extra fat, and the scale does not say how much fat we have, how much water, how much muscle... I hear some scales do that, but I sort of don't believe they do what they say they do.
I had a bad breakfast today (croissant, sandwich) with the excuse I would jog afterwards, and it played against me. I did not eat over my calories, but my running was not smooth and easy. I felt I was carring a backpack on each leg! But I jogged for an hour, showered and here I am, ready to go healthy again!
What about the rest of our committed group? Report, report!

freelancemomma 05-05-2013 11:46 PM

I'm also in! I had a bit of a binge yesterday, so it'll have to be from May 5 to May 31.

I was determined to have a good eating day yesterday, having been a little slipshod in my maintenance regimen over the past few weeks, but then the monkey got on my back. I started with some leftover salmon, then next thing I knew I'd eaten two chocolate bars (which I keep for my kids' lunches), several spoonfuls of Nutella, a frozen yogurt bar and about a cup of Greek yogurt.

My day hadn't been any more stressful than usual, and I certainly haven't been depriving myself of food in recent weeks. I don't think I'll ever fully understand what causes me to binge.

Onward and upward!

Freelance

Bunnydream 05-06-2013 06:24 AM

I have now been binge-free for 2 weeks. I am so proud of myself.
I too, was tempted with the ice cream...my boyfriend brought my favorite kind (carmel cup sundae) home a week ago and I CONTROLLED myself. I had 1/4 of a cup and stopped. I can't believe it. I would have totally eaten the entire tub usually.
I am worried that the week will come where I have uncontrollable hunger! But that hasn't come to me yet...I am dreading it though! The gym has done wonders for me, I can't help but think that it has something to do with the change in hunger. I haven't been starving myself or skipping meals, so I hope I will continue to be binge-free for May!