3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Chicks in Control

Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Anyone manage to quit dieting with positive results?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #376
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 262

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycg102 View Post
Veggiedaze, thank you so much. You always have great information and advice. I wish I could say the same that I don't really like the junk food, but man I do lol BUT......I had the option of going to get my favourtie Tim Hortons breakfast bagel this morning and didn't even feel like it. I packed my breakfast to take to eat and didn't even eat my oatmea, which I love and haven't had for along time, some yogurt and strawberries. AND..........I DIDNT eat until after 11am because I wasn't overly hungry and kinda lazy about the whole thing. I am taking a friend for her birthday to Farmboy for her lunch lol kinda weird I know, but she has never been and I really am looking forward to having a huge salad with CHEESE and quinoa and whatever else I was forbidding myself to have. It feels so weird and I am just trying to keep a mantra of I am feeding my body and I can have whatever I want and I like the way I feel when I eat healthier stuff, but I can have the carby stuff if I want. Soooooo pretty good 2nd day so far. Last night I had a bit of an eating fest when I got home, but I went up to bed to read this forum and honestly maybe thought only once about going back to the kitchen, but not a huge need that i most often have felt in the past. I am pretty happy so far. I have to decide about working at the weight loss clinic.......if that will affect me at all, I only do Wedensday nights for like 3 hours so not alot, and I will feel HORRIBLE to give it up and leave them hanging but I have to do what I have to do for me. Maybe I will be fine though. I am heading to Myrtle Beach Friday morning so I will be away for a week, not able to check here much, but excited about being able to enjoy my trip, have a hamburger and bun and not frett!!!!!!! Have a great day everyone. Thanks again for all of you support, it has been a huge eye opener!!!!!!!
Sounds like things are going pretty well and you had a victory at Tim Hortons. And good for you to decide on your own when you were hungry and felt like breakfast.

I do think it puts me at an advantage healthwise in that I really love healthy food, but I don't know if it's the be all end all weightwise. My twin sister doesn't eat as healthy as I do; she loves her pastries and pretty much has that or some other sugary thing for breakfast everyday, and she eats less veggies and alot more things like pasta and rice than I do. AND she's about 5-10 pounds lighter than me at any given time. She's also a quarter of an inch taller. So weight doesn't neccessarily correlate with healthy food (BUT, I am leaner).

Also in josies book she talks about the words should/shouldn't and want/don't want (or won't). She says once you get a handle on bingeing, it is important to pay attention to how foods and exercise make you feel afterwards. She says then you will start noticing that you feel much different after eating something healthy than something like a burger. She says that in the beginning you say things to yourself like "I shouldn't have that burger because it will make me fat" and will transform slowing into saying more things like "I don't want that burger because it will make me feel sluggish and give me indigestion afterwards". So you basically take away all should/shouldn'ts and replace them with want/don't want (won't). This same thing goes with exercise. Instead of saying "I don't feel like going for a walk because I am too lethargic", you will start saying "I want to go for a walk because it will make me feel so energized afterwards". She says she never feels tempted to eat the pastries at work becuase she dreads the sugar crash and lethargy that follows. but she is okay with having that in the evening when she doesn't mind feeling that way. You know I am alot like tha already (when you take away the bingeing part of the cycle). Like I really don't like a heavy lunch becuase it makes me feel so sick afterwards at work having to rush around everywhere on a full stomach. Also, I don't like to stuff myself at night because it makes me sleep bad. And actually for awhile now my running/walking is motivated by it's antidepressant effects, not by what it does to my body. Thinking about things differently makes things enjoyable and you don't feel like you are forcing yourself as though it is punishment.

Anyways, I kind of got distracted going on and on like i usually do. So kelly, have a wonderful time at farmboy and you know that salad sounds delicious and healthy. And have fun at myrtle beach too and enjoy that burger if you want and don't feel guilty. One burger doesn't make or break anything.

Just a side story since you brought up Tim Hortons. For the last week or so the security guards at work have been hasseling me to bring them a box of donuts in the morning since I drive by the Tim Hortons and they don't on the way to work. So today i got them the donuts and got our department 2 big boxes of Timbits (donut holes for people who are not canadian). Anyways, I put them in the lunch room and was really looking forward to one on my first break with coffee. Well by the time my break came I went to the boxes and they were both EMPTY!!! I was a little disapointed. I may have to bring some in again tomorrow . Also, just want to mention there is an interesting thread started by freelance on naturally thin people. Worth a read. There are a couple links to some good articles. If you are a scientist like me I think you will find it interesting. Or maybe everyone would find it interesting.

Last edited by veggiedaze : 05-01-2013 at 10:48 PM.
veggiedaze is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #377
Senior Member
 
surfergirl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 690

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedaze View Post
Question for everyone: How many of you are emotional eaters? Like eating out of boredom, sadness, anger, agitation etc. I definitely do this and have always done this even as a kid.(I am really making headway on this with that emotional eating book I mentioned earlier that curvyredhead reccomended). Then when i first started restricting as a teenager, the emotional munching/overeating was replaced with emotional bingeing. I would be happy going back to emotional overeating, but in a perfect world I could get rid of it altogether. I think it's possible. It's like now everytime I feel those thoughts, like something sweet after work, I think right away that it's just emotional eating and the feeling goes away immediately. I think I use wine as a replacement to emotional eating because it just feels so good and relaxing to have a glass after work to de-stress. I think it's good I'm not drinking wine right now for this reason too because I am forced to deal with the problem. And it doesn't seem so hard when you know what's going on.
I think I used to be an emotional eater but i'm not so much anymore. I don't necessarily consider it an improvement--because I sort of binged tonight without ANY reason!! I wasn't restricting, I had no emotional triggers. The only thing I can figure is that I was kind of overthinking the whole "intuitive eating" thing (probably reading too much 3FC) and sort of starting to think I had it all figured out. And then when I started to eat a bit more food than usual, I think deep inside I sort of panicked a little, realizing I DON'T have it all figured out, and that caused me to binge a little. That's the only reason I can think of.
__________________
Trying Intuitive Eating! Want to be happier and have a healthy relationship with food
surfergirl2 is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #378
Senior Member
 
freelancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,046

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedaze View Post
She says then you will start noticing that you feel much different after eating something healthy than something like a burger.
My problem is that I don't feel much different. Burger, veggies, half-pound of cheese, giant chocolate bar... I feel fine in all cases. It takes a LOT of self-abuse for me to feel any digestive discomfort -- so I can't use that particular feedback loop to reinforce healthy choices.

F.
__________________

Last edited by freelancemomma : 05-02-2013 at 09:08 AM.
freelancemomma is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #379
Senior Member
 
magical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 199

S/C/G: 150/125/125

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
My problem is that I don't feel much different. Burger, veggies, half-pound of cheese, giant chocolate bar... I feel fine in all cases. It takes a LOT of self-abuse for me to feel any digestive symptoms -- so I can't use that particular feedback loop to reinforce healthy choices.

F.
This is me too.

I became fed up with eating junk simply because I wanted a variety of foods. Not because I feel different when I eat junk and when I eat healthy foods.
magical is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #380
Senior Member
 
Xena2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 128

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5ī7

Default

I actually canīt take a lot of veggies, brown rice or any kind of whole wheat, I get really bloated from it. I am fine with white flour, white rice etc.
__________________


"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." - Socrates

04/29/2013 - 202.6 lbs
05/31/2013 -
Xena2013 is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #381
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 262

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

Default

freelance, magical, and xena - hmmm, that's a tough one then but it makes sense. Not to compare people to dogs, but between my two dogs one can eat absolutely anything in the world and it doesn't affect her (ate half a pound of coffee beans once without any ill effects); while the other dog gets sicker than you can believe with just a different brand of dog food. Well then I guess some people don't have this advantage. So you guys don't even get puffy when you eat alot of salt?

Maybe then trying to get yourself to eat healthy foods without having a diet mentality would be just down to reducing the power of suggestion; eliminating things from your sight which cannot be done in some situations like in public, but it does make the homefront easier. For example, last night I had a craving for something sweet just before bed. Had I had ice cream or cake or something like that I would have probably had that but I only had a fresh pinapple so i had some of that and it really hit the spot. So I think then if people are eating a majority of healthy food at home and then indulgeing in less healthy stuff when out and about, it's probably pretty balanced and not really so bad. It's probably pretty good actually. And maybe people also need to try to find more healthy food they actually really enjoy instead of eating tasteless things like iceberg lettuce and carrot and celery sticks. Alot has to do with how things are prepared I think. Like for example, whether or not I enjoy cooked veggies has mostly to do with how they are prepared like what sauces or spices are added. And maybe there just has to be somewhat of an interest in health that might help weigh one food against another. Like I find myself being happy eating blueberries because I know they are high in antioxidants which makes me feel good I am treating my body well. But I also know there is a danger of being too virtuous about food which I am definitely guily of. Any other ideas out there on how to get yourself to actually WANT to eat healthy without forcing yourself?

Last edited by veggiedaze : 05-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.
veggiedaze is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #382
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 262

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
I think I used to be an emotional eater but i'm not so much anymore. I don't necessarily consider it an improvement--because I sort of binged tonight without ANY reason!! I wasn't restricting, I had no emotional triggers. The only thing I can figure is that I was kind of overthinking the whole "intuitive eating" thing (probably reading too much 3FC) and sort of starting to think I had it all figured out. And then when I started to eat a bit more food than usual, I think deep inside I sort of panicked a little, realizing I DON'T have it all figured out, and that caused me to binge a little. That's the only reason I can think of.
I had a few "almosst binges" in the first few weeks (and I am sure I still will if not the real thing at some point). The only think that kept me from bingeing in those instances was simply because I was with someone else and did have the freedom to binge, and in one instance where I had just too much wine and couldn't drive to the store. I think it did stem from being over confident that I had "won this thing" and like you, overtinking the IE thing. I think like anything else, being too obsessed with doing IE right can be just as detrimental as being too obsessed with anything else. I think what I had to remind myself is that those brain pathways are still there and established, and that they won't disappear overnight and may take a signifiant amount of time to weaken. I think it will always be possible to binge in certain situations like when I emotionally eat and that the key is to recognize when these urges occur and being able to dismantle them. I think the panick feeling you had was uncomfortable and so continuing on to eat more helped to numb it out (perhaps). Also, I read somewhere that being too confident impedes recovery from any kind of behavioural "addiction". Like ex alcoholics that are too confident in their recovery are more at risk of relapse because they let their guard down. That happened to me too. I just expected I would no longer have any urges and when I did I wasn't prepared or conditioned to fight it anymore. Josie says in her book not to beat yourself up or give up if you have setbacks, and to just try and learn from it. Also, I have read many recovered eating disorder stories where it wasn't just this linear road in recovery; that there were plenty of slips along the way.
veggiedaze is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #383
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 262

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

Default

Just another thought on how one gets themself to eat healthy food without dieting: Not allowing yourself to get overly hungry. When a persons blood sugar gets too low then the mind probably knows that high sugar/fat foods provide an instant pick me up and is likely more attracted to these foods. I think bingefree2013 said this before that when you are not starving, certain foods lose their punch. Any thoughts on this?
veggiedaze is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #384
Senior Member
 
freelancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,046

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedaze View Post
So you guys don't even get puffy when you eat alot of salt?
In my case, no. I don't seem to retain extra water from salt, TOM, or anything else -- or if I do it's too subtle to notice. The only time I remember being visibly puffy is right after I gave birth to my second child, when my lower legs looked like sausages for a couple of days.

Freelance
__________________
freelancemomma is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #385
Senior Member
 
kellycg102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 355

S/C/G: 184/146/130

Height: 5'1"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedaze View Post
Sounds like things are going pretty well and you had a victory at Tim Hortons. And good for you to decide on your own when you were hungry and felt like breakfast.

I do think it puts me at an advantage healthwise in that I really love healthy food, but I don't know if it's the be all end all weightwise. My twin sister doesn't eat as healthy as I do; she loves her pastries and pretty much has that or some other sugary thing for breakfast everyday, and she eats less veggies and alot more things like pasta and rice than I do. AND she's about 5-10 pounds lighter than me at any given time. She's also a quarter of an inch taller. So weight doesn't neccessarily correlate with healthy food (BUT, I am leaner).

Also in josies book she talks about the words should/shouldn't and want/don't want (or won't). She says once you get a handle on bingeing, it is important to pay attention to how foods and exercise make you feel afterwards. She says then you will start noticing that you feel much different after eating something healthy than something like a burger. She says that in the beginning you say things to yourself like "I shouldn't have that burger because it will make me fat" and will transform slowing into saying more things like "I don't want that burger because it will make me feel sluggish and give me indigestion afterwards". So you basically take away all should/shouldn'ts and replace them with want/don't want (won't). This same thing goes with exercise. Instead of saying "I don't feel like going for a walk because I am too lethargic", you will start saying "I want to go for a walk because it will make me feel so energized afterwards". She says she never feels tempted to eat the pastries at work becuase she dreads the sugar crash and lethargy that follows. but she is okay with having that in the evening when she doesn't mind feeling that way. You know I am alot like tha already (when you take away the bingeing part of the cycle). Like I really don't like a heavy lunch becuase it makes me feel so sick afterwards at work having to rush around everywhere on a full stomach. Also, I don't like to stuff myself at night because it makes me sleep bad. And actually for awhile now my running/walking is motivated by it's antidepressant effects, not by what it does to my body. Thinking about things differently makes things enjoyable and you don't feel like you are forcing yourself as though it is punishment.

Anyways, I kind of got distracted going on and on like i usually do. So kelly, have a wonderful time at farmboy and you know that salad sounds delicious and healthy. And have fun at myrtle beach too and enjoy that burger if you want and don't feel guilty. One burger doesn't make or break anything.

Just a side story since you brought up Tim Hortons. For the last week or so the security guards at work have been hasseling me to bring them a box of donuts in the morning since I drive by the Tim Hortons and they don't on the way to work. So today i got them the donuts and got our department 2 big boxes of Timbits (donut holes for people who are not canadian). Anyways, I put them in the lunch room and was really looking forward to one on my first break with coffee. Well by the time my break came I went to the boxes and they were both EMPTY!!! I was a little disapointed. I may have to bring some in again tomorrow . Also, just want to mention there is an interesting thread started by freelance on naturally thin people. Worth a read. There are a couple links to some good articles. If you are a scientist like me I think you will find it interesting. Or maybe everyone would find it interesting.

Interesting with your sister. I hope I get to that point one day lol I did pretty good yesterday but when I got home from my second job it was almost 9pm and I didn't have supper, so I ate a little too much again, but again not like I normally would. I had thoughts of having more but didn't so I have to be happy with that, because the other could have been bad....really bad. I got up at 5:30 and went to the gym this morning with the mindset of wanting to feel good and have energy.....not to lose weight. So feeling pretty good. I tried a couple pairs of capris that I wore at my lowest weight and was a bit discouraged because I am up 15lbs now that the glycogen is back in my system so they don't fit, but to be expected right? Not that 15 is all glycogen....lol let me clarify, I was already up 10 anyway but now 15. It is what it is! To answer your question I am a huge bordom eater........lol even when I have tons to do!!!! I love the chewing and swallowing of food. Drives me nuts.
Have a great day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
My problem is that I don't feel much different. Burger, veggies, half-pound of cheese, giant chocolate bar... I feel fine in all cases. It takes a LOT of self-abuse for me to feel any digestive discomfort -- so I can't use that particular feedback loop to reinforce healthy choices.

F.
So I do feel crappy with junky food, but I still LOVE all crap food and that is one of the things I need to get past. I was feeling deprived on a diet or not, because I want to eat burger and fries and pizza and cake every day....maybe not in that order LOL So ya it is trying to get out of that mindset and focus on fueling the body in a healthy way. Its tough!

In case I don't get back on here.....hope everyone has a great week, hopefully I can pop on a bit when I am in Myrtle Beach. Take Care.
__________________



Numbers are a little wonky, because I switched scales!!

WI#1 -8.6 WI#15 -2.8
WI#2 -2 WI#16 -1.6
WI#3 -6 WI#17 0
WI#4 -2.2. WI# 18. 2.6
WI#5 -2.4. WI#19. +.2
WI#6 -2. WI#20. -3
WI#7 -3.4
WI#8 -1.2
WI#9 -4.4
WI#10-3.2
WI#11-1.8
WI#12-2
WI#13-0
WI#14-2.2
kellycg102 is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #386
Senior Member
 
surfergirl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 690

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Default

Freelance, i think i've posted before that i'm like you--food never really makes me feel bad physically, even 2500 calories worth of sugar in one sitting. But...for the last week, i've really been thinking about the IE concept of thinking "how will this food make me feel after i eat it." If i really pay attention (and really care), i DO feel a little sleepy after eating too many carbs. The thing is, maybe i knew this before, but i just didn't care. In the middle of a sugar binge, the last thing on my mind is "i might feel a bit lethargic if i finish this entire box of cookies." But now that i am more attuned to caring about myself and wanting the best for myself (i think that sounds cheesy but it's kind of true), i DO care about whether i'm going to feel a bit down or a bit sleepy after eating something sugary.

The other thing is, before, if i did feel yucky after eating something, it was hard to distinguish between a PHYSICAL feeling, and mental disgust at myself for eating what i did. IE also helps with that because you don't judge yourself for what you ate...the mental disgust is gone. So now, if i do feel slightly down after eating sugar, i know it's the physical effects of sugar on my body.
__________________
Trying Intuitive Eating! Want to be happier and have a healthy relationship with food

Last edited by surfergirl2 : 05-02-2013 at 02:27 PM.
surfergirl2 is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #387
Senior Member
 
Xena2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 128

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5ī7

Default

@veggidaze: i do get bloated and feel horrible but it takes A LOT of food (we are talking 5000 calories and more). The only food that makes me feel bad in normal quantities is raw veggies.
__________________


"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." - Socrates

04/29/2013 - 202.6 lbs
05/31/2013 -
Xena2013 is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #388
Senior Member
 
magical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 199

S/C/G: 150/125/125

Height: 5'6"

Default

Veggiedaze, I don't know whether I get puffy when I eat a lot of salt. I don't think I've ever eaten a lot of salty food at one go. I don't like salty food. I do get puffy with TTOM.

I don't really eat bread as that makes me bloated. Other than that, my natural limit seems to be satiety or fullness.
magical is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #389
Senior Member
 
freelancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,046

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
i DO feel a little sleepy after eating too many carbs.
I've also experienced a degree of lethargy from overeating (not just carbs, but any food). As you say, I never viewed this as a problem. Maybe I need to change my thinking!

F.

p.s. On the flip side, eating a large and carb-heavy meal gives me a lot of energy for working out the next day. And here's another benefit I've noticed from eating sweets like candy: they have the ability to change my thought patterns for the better. If I'm looking at a situation pessimistically and then eat some candy, next thing I know my brain has come up with more optimistic interpretations of the same situation. In some cases I'll notice this surge in optimism and only then realize that I've had some sugar, so I'm sure it's a direct physiologic effect of having the extra glucose in the brain.
__________________

Last edited by freelancemomma : 05-02-2013 at 02:28 PM.
freelancemomma is offline  
Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #390
Junior Member
 
jazbcure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 18

S/C/G: 220/178/140

Default

I have been lurking this forum for awhile and this thread has made me finally decide to join in on the discussion.

I have a long history of disordered eating and have thought a lot about this subject. As a child and through my teens I was in the lower end of the normal range for weight. But through a combination of periods of severe restriction mixed with periods of bingeing I ended up 30 years old at 220 lbs (my height is 5'6").

Shortly after I turned 30 something just clicked in me and I wanted to change. I still very much wanted to lose weight but I decided to abandon dieting and try to normalize my eating first. I started making an effort to "eat like a normal person". During my first year of doing this I lost 20 pounds. I still struggled with some of the disordered thinking I had been struggling with my whole life but it was getting easier. My binges got less and less frequent and my obsession with food and weight was beginning to wane.

It took me a year to get my eating normalized and get rid of the bingeing for good. Now it is almost 2 years after my initial decision to change and I am at about 180 lbs and still going down.

I don't neccessarily think of what I am doing as "intuitive eating" since I am still keeping some structure. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I only have snack or desserts on rare occasions but most of the time I don't really crave them since I am eating substantial meals. I pretty much eat what I want but withing some loose guidelines.

I think this has worked so well for me because the majority of my weight gain has been from bingeing. At my highest weight I was eating normal meals and then bingeing about an extra 1000-2000 calories about 3 times a week. It makes sense that once I cut out the bingeing the weight has slowly been coming off.
jazbcure is offline  
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2