Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #256  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingefree2013 View Post
I think a lot of people who are overweight plow through fullness and enter into stuffed territory, but for them that IS comfortable whereas for a naturally thin person that area feels more like Thanksgiving stuffed and they steer clear.

The thing is, no one needs to drastically change their diet to lose weight or to stop eating their favorite foods, or cut out food groups or even exercise, they just need to learn to stop eating just because it's there and to appreciate a lighter level of fullness.
Those two sentences encapsulate the whole issue (for me). Well said.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 04-27-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #257  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena2013 View Post
I feel better now where I am allowed to have everything I want. Nothing is off limits, but it is very unlikely that I want to eat crap all the time. So knowing I can have a big salad and a cupcake is way better.
I'm exactly the same way. A weight management approach based on "clean eating" would leave me feeling deprived and somehow impoverished. I suppose I can get away with a more relaxed approach to nutritional quality because junk food has never been a trigger or temptation for me. There's also the fact that I have a very strong stomach and don't experience any gastrointestinal symptoms from this or that food.

What I most enjoy is gourmet and exotic fare, which can be healthy but often has a lot of calories. My challenge is to manage the urge to overeat (massively) such foods. Regarding nutritional quality, my only guideline is to eat healthy foods "most of the time," which doesn't necessarily mean every day and certainly not every meal.

Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 04-27-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #258  

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Those two sentences encapsulate the whole issue (for me). Well said.

F.
I also agree with bingefree2013s statements. Although my unhealthy obsession now is with clean (minimally processed) foods, the lowest weight I ever achieved (before my obsession with health) involved eating almost 100% packaged rice crispy squares with the odd quiznos sandwhich here and there. I was also not excercising since my energy levels were so low from the low number of calories I was eating. I didn't have a bingeing problem at this time and never overate later in the day simply because I ate processed food. At this time I didn't think of foods as "good" or "bad". It was this thinking (good and bad) that led me down the road of bingeing. I believed junk foods would harm me and that I would evereat them. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy. The book I just read states that (and this was such an epiphany for me and has helped me a great deal) when we have a belief (like I will not be able to control myself with certain food) we tend to prove ourselves right even when we don't like the outcome. It makes me wonder about how when I decided that wine would make me want to binge, suddenly it did everytime. Also my belief that I will struggle not to binge every night in the few hours before bedtime. By believeing these things I am falling into proving my beliefs right. The last few nights just by recognizing I am bringing on these effects myself by thinking they are true, suddenly I am not experiencing them. I don't know if anyone gets what I'm saying. It's tough to explain. But I think once a person reads that certain foods will make them overeat them, they suddenly will because they believe it to be true. I'm not saying there is no science behind addictive food since I do believe in hyperpalatable foods being easier to overeat; but I think the effect is so much more exagerated by people's belief that these foods are "bad" and will make them fat.

Last edited by veggiedaze; 04-27-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #259  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Very interesting points! Very interesting discussion!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #260  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I've suffered with disordered eating most of my life. For a long time I was a binge eater and a compulsive over eater. I never purged. There was a time in my life when I ate to suppress my emotions. Since then I've learned to work through those emotions and gain an understanding of my eating. But there came a point when there was no excuse anymore for "emotional eating." It was true at one point but it is no longer true. My disordered eating took on the form of reacting to triggers and dealing with my bad habits. I strongly believe that what we eat has an effect on us. Easy to prove - when I eat wheat I'm hungry all day long. When I don't eat wheat I feel normal and happy and able to control myself. Same goes for artificial sweeteners, sugar, highly processed foods, and junk food.

I don't think there is a cure for disordered eating. But you can pinpoint your behaviors, and the triggers that bring them on. Only by abstaining from certain foods do I feel it's possible that I can get better. It's an uphill battle for sure - when you're used to eating burger king 3x/week for 20yrs it's a hard habit to break, especially when it provides a sense of normalcy and satiety. But the more you eat clean foods the easier it becomes, like any addiction to food.
Thank you for your explanation. I can see where you are coming from. Do you think though that it must be an uphill battle for you?

I know when I was restricting to "clean foods" (yeah, I've tried practically all sorts of diet styles out there!), my binge urges were very strong and yes, it was a real uphill battle for me too. Now that I'm NOT restricting and eating what I want, I don't really have anymore urges to eat junk. I'm fine with eating it once a day e.g. couple of bickies and no more urges to eat the whole packet!

When i was analyzing the stages i went through from non restricting to IE (thanks to Veggiedaze and really grateful to her for this thread), I've wondered whether, if I was a different person, totally letting go of my restrictions (eating what I wanted when I wanted) would have resulted in me becoming MORE addicted to junk food, much like an addiction to cocaine for example. From what you are saying, it sounds as if you feel that you would only eat more crap the more you eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I am not cured, I'm not an expert, I just know that my mind and body feel better when I don't indulge myself in all the things I want. My intuition is to go through a drive thru, always has been, that's my true self. I have to go against my intuition, IE is a pipe dream for me.
To me, IE advocates eating only when hungry, rather than eating restrictively. That's the intuition part of IE and I think some of us do not know how to eat only when hungry intuitively. We have to learn how to do it.

What you mentioned about intuitively wanting junk/crap food, that i believe is something else, a craving/addiction. I had that too which I resolved (hopefully on a permanent basis) by not restricting the types of food I wanted (per the first part of my post).
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #261  

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedaze View Post
The book I just read states that (and this was such an epiphany for me and has helped me a great deal) when we have a belief (like I will not be able to control myself with certain food) we tend to prove ourselves right even when we don't like the outcome.
Yes, yes, yes! That's exactly why I don't subscribe to the "food as addiction" paradigm. Like all prophecies, it tends to fulfill itself.

F.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #262  

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes! That's exactly why I don't subscribe to the "food as addiction" paradigm. Like all prophecies, it tends to fulfill itself.

F.

OMG freelance I am so excited you get what I'm saying or rather that I finally get what you have been saying. I wonder now If I am eating disordered simply because I believe so strongly that I am. But honest to g-d after recognizing that my beliefs of being out of control are making me out of control, suddenly I'm not anymore. It's so weird.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #263  

Quote:
What I most enjoy is gourmet and exotic fare, which can be healthy but often has a lot of calories. My challenge is to manage the urge to overeat (massively) such foods. Regarding nutritional quality, my only guideline is to eat healthy foods "most of the time," which doesn't necessarily mean every day and certainly not every meal.

Freelance
Love this!

I've always loved gourmet fare too but can usually control the urge to eat more or to binge on it. Exotic cheeses come to mind. During my very dark days of bulimia, I initially bought a lot of it and binge, then purge it out but I stopped that because, lol, even then I could see what a real waste it was to do so!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #264  

Quote:
Originally Posted by magical View Post
Thank you for your explanation. I can see where you are coming from. Do you think though that it must be an uphill battle for you?

I know when I was restricting to "clean foods" (yeah, I've tried practically all sorts of diet styles out there!), my binge urges were very strong and yes, it was a real uphill battle for me too. Now that I'm NOT restricting and eating what I want, I don't really have anymore urges to eat junk. I'm fine with eating it once a day e.g. couple of bickies and no more urges to eat the whole packet!

When i was analyzing the stages i went through from non restricting to IE (thanks to Veggiedaze and really grateful to her for this thread), I've wondered whether, if I was a different person, totally letting go of my restrictions (eating what I wanted when I wanted) would have resulted in me becoming MORE addicted to junk food, much like an addiction to cocaine for example. From what you are saying, it sounds as if you feel that you would only eat more crap the more you eat it.

To me, IE advocates eating only when hungry, rather than eating restrictively. That's the intuition part of IE and I think some of us do not know how to eat only when hungry intuitively. We have to learn how to do it.

What you mentioned about intuitively wanting junk/crap food, that i believe is something else, a craving/addiction. I had that too which I resolved (hopefully on a permanent basis) by not restricting the types of food I wanted (per the first part of my post).
Great post again Magical. Honestly I used to believe just as wannabeskinny. I thought maybe other people could eat things in moderation but never me. I only reluctantly tried this approach after failing at every other. And yeah, it only freaked me out at first because of the stages you so nicely explained where the the second stage involves overeating. Bingefree2013 pretty well told me to calm down and that it was just rebound eating but I didn't believe her at the time (I do now- sorry bingefree )Only perseverance and a leap of faith can get someone to continue when they get to that stage. It is so scary. I love clean eating obsessively. The only problem is it leads to bingeing. But I just couldn't give up the hope that one day I would just eat clean foods and somehow figure out a way to never binge again. If believe now that if I were to wait for that day it would never come and I would be 90 doing the same thing (or dead much before from having my stomach explode during a binge).

Last edited by veggiedaze; 04-27-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #265  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCajun View Post
Very interesting points! Very interesting discussion!!!
Thanks for joining. I recognize you from the intuitive eating thread. I enjoy that thread alot!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #266  

Quote:

F.
Very interesting and I see where you are coming from too. So many POVs, which makes it such a brilliant discussion.

Veggiedaze, hmmm, interesting what you said about believing that you have ED and therefore you do. I don't know whether that can be the case? Perhaps...

I never labelled my ED behaviour until I came online around 3 years ago or so to look for ways to diet and believe it or not, ways to make it easier to purge. It was then that I read about bulimia and thought, yeah, this is me alright.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #267  

Quote:
Originally Posted by magical View Post
Very interesting and I see where you are coming from too. So many POVs, which makes it such a brilliant discussion.

Veggiedaze, hmmm, interesting what you said about believing that you have ED and therefore you do. I don't know whether that can be the case? Perhaps...

I never labelled my ED behaviour until I came online around 3 years ago or so to look for ways to diet and believe it or not, ways to make it easier to purge. It was then that I read about bulimia and thought, yeah, this is me alright.
yeah, I know it's a far out statement to make. Just kind of fun to think about how maybe we make our own reality by what we believe. Like when I believed donuts made me binge, they did every time. Once I stopped thinking they made me binge, they no longer did. I just find it weird.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #268  

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5ī7

I agree about the self-fulfilling prophecy.

For me it is really becoming a problem when I am online too often. I i.e. never had a problem with ice cream until I read about so many people being addicted to HD/B&J etc. All of a sudden I looked at ice cream in a different way, like it is the devil. And I became really strange - I either didnīt have any, never bought it anymore but at the same time ate 2 pints in one hour when I binged. I never binged on ice cream before, I was always more a chocolate person.

One of the key factors for me is to not read a lot in topics that discuss trigger foods, binges etc. As long as I focus on what I really want for myself I am fine. Once I start to adapt other peopleīs behaviours (even the good ones) I am doomed to fail.

I am not sure where I read it, but somebody once wrote "stop waking up in the morning and believing you have a problem, you are creating a bigger problem than it really is". This kinda helped me. The harder I make it sound, the harder it will be. I didnīt realize that until I went on a trip in Europe and had none of my binge foods available. There is no such thing as a physical addiction for me personally or I wouldnīt have been fine with zero urges to binge on vacation. I just didnīt really stress about the whole eating thing on vacation.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #269  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena2013 View Post
I agree about the self-fulfilling prophecy.

For me it is really becoming a problem when I am online too often. I i.e. never had a problem with ice cream until I read about so many people being addicted to HD/B&J etc. All of a sudden I looked at ice cream in a different way, like it is the devil. And I became really strange - I either didnīt have any, never bought it anymore but at the same time ate 2 pints in one hour when I binged. I never binged on ice cream before, I was always more a chocolate person.

One of the key factors for me is to not read a lot in topics that discuss trigger foods, binges etc. As long as I focus on what I really want for myself I am fine. Once I start to adapt other peopleīs behaviours (even the good ones) I am doomed to fail.

I am not sure where I read it, but somebody once wrote "stop waking up in the morning and believing you have a problem, you are creating a bigger problem than it really is". This kinda helped me. The harder I make it sound, the harder it will be. I didnīt realize that until I went on a trip in Europe and had none of my binge foods available. There is no such thing as a physical addiction for me personally or I wouldnīt have been fine with zero urges to binge on vacation. I just didnīt really stress about the whole eating thing on vacation.
I knew I was onto something with this. Why hadn't someone told me this before I stumbled upon it in that book and it made perfect sense? It's funny because (trigger warning for you xena) a little while ago I read about how some people binge more when they drink alcohol and I remember thinking "that's weird because usually a glass of wine helps me". But then the next time I drank I remembered that and then I binged. And then I thought well that must be true and now I can't drink without thinking about bingeing. Now that I know this maybe it will suddenly not make me binge like before. Also xena, after reading about the science behind the addictiveness of certain foods, suddenly they were more addictive than ever to me. And also, I think if someone views their ED recovery as an uphill trecherous battle, it probably will be worse than it has to be. Crazy to think about all this. I love this thread and everyones insights.

EDIT: Funny you mention your vacation to europe and how you had zero urges. Same with me!! I go to europe every year, sometimes twice, simply to escape my eating disorder and obsessive thoughts. Maybe I should move there (joking).

Another EDIT: Also, never had a carb problem until everything in the media claiming carbs were evil which prompted me to go low/no carb. Suddenly I labelled myself as "gluten intolerant" and binged on carbs more than ever. All because someone told me I would and I believed it.

Last edited by veggiedaze; 04-27-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #270  

Definitely understand where you are coming from.

I don't know whether it applies to me, my restriction and bingeing/purging was only ever about losing weight and maintaining the "ideal" weight and size I had in mind. My bingeing/purging cycles were due mostly to calorie restriction and going through dieting and different dieting styles and methods were always about weight. Even eating clean, I was restricting to like 600-800 cals a day. Stupid, yeah.
Closed Thread