Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/125-ish

Height: 5' 1/2"

Default Newbie to this section- Should I talk to my Dr?

Just wanting to get other's opinions-

I have a dr appointment tomorrow, just for general health, a few 'small' concerns that I have. I'm considering asking her about a referral to a dietician/nutritional counsellor/I don't know what/who.

I've never spoken to anyone about this problem I have. Nobody, never. Not even my husband, and he and I have an awesome wonderful marriage of nearly 9 years with no secrets. Except my binging. I know I need to speak to him about it.

I buy junk food and consume it in secret. It is causing me to be unable to lose weight. It is unhealthy, both physically and mentally. I know this. I seem to be unable to stop doing this.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed, thanks in advance.
CleverName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I would talk to my doctor about this -- and it may be that he/she refers you to a counselor instead of a nutritionist. Also, maybe talking to your husband will help. Good luck with this. You've taken an enormous first step just posting this.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #3  

My insurance doesn't require a referral for me to see a nutritionist. If you don't want to tell your primary doctor about your food/psycological issues, you might not have to.

I always worry about what is written in my medical file, like someone makes a profile about me based on what others write. Yes, paranoid!

Either way, I think you should really speak to someone for some help. Reaching out to us was the first step, you can do it! Good luck.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #4  

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate you taking the time to post.
I talked to my dr about it, she is great, I'm really happy to have her as our family dr. My 30 min appointment turned into a 1 hr appointment. I feel bad about that, as it was the first appointment of the day, but I really appreciate her taking the time for me. I see her all the time with my kiddos, but seldom is an appointment for me. We spoke about reasoning behind it, what is causing the behaviour, how I feel about it, etc. I am going to see her again in two weeks to talk about it, and I am happy with that for now.

It feels really good to have spoken to someone IRL about it. Personally, I feel much more accountable to someone IRL than to others who are on forums. You can still hide on the internet, you can't with someone face to face, know what I mean?

I haven't had a chance to talk to my husband yet, the baby was up all evening, and my hubby had to go to bed early because he has a flight tomorrow morning. I'll try to talk to him tomorrow night, I want to talk to him alone with no kids around, which can be a tall order with a teething 7 month old.

Thanks again, Betsy and elvislover.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #5  

I'm so happy you talked to your doctor and feel better. Thanks for coming back with the update.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm so glad you talked to your doctor -- and had such a positive experience. And that you're going to talk to your husband about it as well. These are enormous first steps. I've been overweight all of my adult life after being a normal weight child and teen. I think one of the reasons that I was never successful at losing and keeping weight off is that I refused to acknowledge to anyone that I needed some help. For me, joining this forum is now a daily requirement. But, I totally understand wanting to talk to someone in person. Congratulations on this step. It may be the biggest one that you take on your journey.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

Good luck speaking with your husband; I'm sure he won't judge you, he will just want to help you. In fact, you may find out that he already knew or suspected, and didn't want to be the one to mention it to you for fear of hurting you.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

That's great that you spoke to your doctor, it's even better that she took the time to listen to you. To whom did she refer you?

I remember when I first told my husband about my eating disorder. He was a little freaked out, he has a perfectly normal relationship with food and though he is very understanding about it he has no way of relating to me. The topic of food is one that he stays away from, he doesn't dare say anything to me like "are you sure you should be eating that?" or make comments about my weight. It's good but on the other hand it feels like an issue we're skirting around. How do you think your husband will react?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #9  

I told my husband last night, and he was wonderful, as I knew he would be. I was still a bit nervous to tell him, though. He asked questions, said he was a little shocked, but said what he mostly felt was that he felt sad because I was upset about it. He's such a sweetie, and I'm pretty sure that he'll be a good support.

Now that my dr and my husband know, I am accountable. Even if they don't really ask me about it, I'm better able to keep myself in check. I was out this morning running errands and at the grocery store, and was saying NO! to urges left and right. I look forward to one day when those urges no longer exist.

Wannabeskinny- My dr didn't refer me to anyone, I have an appointment to talk to her again in a few weeks, and we'll go from there. I'm happy with where we're at right now.