Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #136  

Height: 5ft3

Missunshine - yep bingeing takes a long time to cure - I fell for another old chestnut yesterday - the animal brain convinced me to buy lots of low cal sugary snacks that are on sale to help lose weight after Christmas - 99 calorie cereal bars - well fine for most but not for me - I ate the lot all at once - just got to make sure that I won't get fooled by that one again

Doingmybest and Danzingirl - stay with it and keep coming back - being here really does help
Jalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 188/132.4/129.5

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalsa View Post
Missunshine - yep bingeing takes a long time to cure - I fell for another old chestnut yesterday - the animal brain convinced me to buy lots of low cal sugary snacks that are on sale to help lose weight after Christmas - 99 calorie cereal bars - well fine for most but not for me - I ate the lot all at once - just got to make sure that I won't get fooled by that one again
I have done that too - they're a monetary bargain, but not a bargain for weight loss/maintenance! I have to tell myself that I am no longer at a place in my life where I go out and buy candy/snacks because they're a good monetary deal. That period in my life is over. Now, I need to buy things because they're healthy and/or a caloric deal. It's hard sometimes, but I remind myself that the benefits of being thin and fit are better than the momentary pleasure of shopping for and eating inexpensive junk food!

Last edited by DoingMyBest79; 01-27-2013 at 09:41 AM.
DoingMyBest79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 188/132.4/129.5

TOTALLY sympathize on the weather! I feel so great and uplifted when it is warm and sunny, and so blah when it is cold/raining/snowy. It's so hard to get out for exercise when the weather is bad, and I don't even have to deal with air quality issues -- it must be awful! I can't wait for spring!

I'm down 0.7 pounds from yesterday -- I think it's from a combination of a LONG walk and eating at the low end of my range. Down from 134.7 to 134.0...just a few more pounds before I get back to I was, pre-binge. I need to keep this up! Today will be a day of eating near maintenance -- I can't handle long-term deprivation right now. Plus, I'm hoping that a little calorie cycling will get the body burning calories. Staying positive!!
DoingMyBest79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #139  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalsa View Post
I've done that loads of times too.

I am still going ok. No binges since the Thursday between Christmas and New Year...

Am now 0.4 pounds above my pre Christmas low weight. I've nearly removed Christmas.
omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Week #9: complete!

Did have some thoughts about food today, after being relatively free from focusing on food most of the time in the past month or so. I practiced some of the exercises I have learned and pressed on. I think I thought about food today because I had more free time on my hands than usual.

On to Week 10...
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #141  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Jalsa- I'll always stay here- this forum has been a lifesaver for me! I hope you were able to figure out what to do with those snacks!

Doingmybest- congratulations on the drop and a huge snowstorm finally blew the inversion away- so I'll at least have some sunshine for a few days before it comes back!

Omega- I'm still fighting my Christmas weight a little, that's got to e a good feeling!

Kittykatfan-10 weeks is amazing! And congratulations on the broken record!

Starting in day 3 here- it's much harder to get BACK on track vs just staying there... But I'm making it. Determined to conquer this.
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #142  

S/C/G: IDK

Height: 5'9

jalsa - i've done that many times too and every time i tell myself not to be fooled again but i still give in with things that are really discounted.

omega- i'm trying to reach my pre christmas weight too. but i don't have the scale here so i have to wait till i get home in about 10 days. i really hope it will show some progress.

doingmy best- calorie cycling is a good idea. i think i'll try it too. i think we're all trying to get to our pre- something weight ;D

kittykat- that is some serious achievement!! how do you cope with cravings, if you have any? 10 weeks would be a milestone for me

danzigurl.-that's the spirit! do not ever give up...just know that you'll always be an inspiration to someone !!!

i finished my day 16 in bed all day "studying" for my first exam tomorrow but i was mostly watching makeup tutorialy on youtube lol that thing is so addictive. i finally bought some very pretty new sneakers (that actually fit me) so hopefully there will be no more excuses for ditching my exercise. i need to get rid of my muffin top. i can feel my six pack but it's all covered in fat. :/
missunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 168/162/125

I am new to posting, but browse all the time. I am a binger and would like to Join your challenges. I am binge free since Tuesday, although had a few "over-eating" days. Been battling this since I was 16, I'm 48 now. I recently started see a therapist to learn how to better handle stress.

I can totally relate to the "diet foods", do that all the time. For some reason, don't treat like a normal food and end up eating everything.

So nice to have people who understand. Even my friends who are overweight don't understand what a binge is. They look at me with a "deer in the headlights" look when I try to explain.

Hope everyone had a great day.
Carolina1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #144  
Jessica

Missunhine- I LOVE getting new sneakers! That's what I have asked for for Christmas and my birthday for the past 3 years and it always makes running more fun ;-)

Carolina- welcome! I hope you find this place as helpful and supportive as I always have!!

Starting on day 4 today.. My weight is still 3 lbs up from my last binge so that's a little disappointing, but I'm trying to trust the process and start strong! Hope everyone is having a good week so far! We're almost through January!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #145  
You can call me Betty

S/C/G: 177/too much/145

Height: 5'8-ish

Like Carolina I've been mostly a browser, but I'd like to start posting in an effort to focus and get a handle on the binging.

This month I've managed to lose 7.4 lbs by making MUCH healthier food choices but I haven't been able to stop binging. Every day has been a terrible inner battle, and most often I lose.

Feeling so out of control is adding a terrible amount of stress and emotional disappointment to my life, which seems to make me want to binge even more even though I *KNOW* how counter-productive it is. I swear sometimes I feel absolutely possessed while I'm binging, I sometimes eat things I don't even like!

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. Today will be day 1 binge-free for me. I hope.

Hey Carolina -- also like you I've been struggling with this since my teens and I'm 45 now. I can so relate.

Last edited by MayoLover; 01-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.
MayoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #146  

Height: 5ft3

Hey MayoLover, welcome- great to see you here -I also feel possessed when I am bingeing or heading that way - I even go to the store in the cold and pouring rain and when I get there I don't know what I want - it's the animal brain and I've got to find a way to gag it and shut it up!

Yesterday was a disaster, I was travelling, it was cold and there was no - where to get healthy food - so I self medicated with all the usual sugar crap
today has been good
Jalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #147  

Hi Jalsa, hope your day is going better. The first day after is always the hardest, but I always remind myself that I've been through this before and each day after the binge I WILL feel better, even if I don't feel like it now.

MayoLover, glad to have a new poster to start this journey. I find myself looking forward to logging in at the end of the day to share how my day went with people who get it. When I am in the middle of a period of day-after-day binging, I realize how awful it must be for those who are around me. My spouse, my employer, my co-workers, my children. I try to get out of the cloud and focus on being the best I can be for myself and those I care about. You can do it!!! Plus, you must be dong something right, you've lost 7.5 pounds.

Danzingirl77 - Thank you for the welcome! I hate that water weight gain. We all are smart enough to know it's not real weigth, but that darn number.... Keep it up, you're still down 4 from the binge. You are in the right direction! That 3 pounds will be gone sooner than you think.

I use MyFitnessPal to track my cals, and realize I am only bing free since Saturday. I had a middle of the road binge on Friday. So, that makes today day four and the day's almost over!!! Husband is out of town, and being home alone is often a trigger. Boredome and such..... So, here's to staying out of the fridge for the night. I know I will feel so good in the morning.

Have a peaceful evening!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Quote:
Originally Posted by missunshine View Post

kittykat- that is some serious achievement!! how do you cope with cravings, if you have any? 10 weeks would be a milestone for me
On Day 65 now

It's so strange, but ever since I started my treatment program, my cravings have dropped big-time. I was just hoping to get some skills to help me deal with my intense cravings. Instead, my cravings have significantly reduced. It's like a light bulb on a dimmer - my thoughts and obsessions about food have just been really toned down.

I occasionally have thoughts of binging, but when they come over me, I use my skills. I start asking myself why I am feeling like binging: what triggered the thought and what emotion is behind it? Usually that delay is enough to help me get through the moment, but I have learned other coping mechanisms.

I think the food plan has also helped dramatically. I have to eat three meals a day plus two snacks. Even if I do have a big breakfast, that snack still has to happen. They are teaching me totally different food philosophies. I am to eat foods I crave! I just have to limit portion size, with the belief that if I want more, there is still more available tomorrow. I do not have to stay away from any food. A totally different philosophy from the way I used to think.

I used to think, "I will binge today and go back to being good tomorrow' - which drove me to just eat as much as I could that day because I couldn't enjoy tomorrow. Now I think that I can have more tomorrow if I want it. And I also front-load calories and eat breakfast, when I used to save my calories til the end of the day and starved in the morning.

I simply can't believe how much this program has helped me. I am still working on learning to read my hunger and especially my fullness cues, but the good news is that I have maintained my weight loss. I may have even lost some, although the loss is not intentional since the focus is on breaking the binge cycle and not on weight loss. The program teaches nutrition, a type of cognitive-behavioral therapy, and body image acceptance - which has helped me with my self confidence (a bit...still scared to show my pics )

I have so much more to share, but I don't want to bore anyone so I will stop for now. All I can say is if you have the chance to get treatment for binge eating disorder, I highly recommend it if you can find a good program. It has truly changed my life in a very short time.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #149  
Jessica

Mayolover- welcome! I hope you have found a way to stay on track and that this place helps you! I take advantage of venting here ALL the time, it's nice to have people who understand! Good luck!

Jalsa- travel and cold are both hard to deal with as far as good goes, I hope you were able to have a good day afterward!

Carolina- you are right, I was back to normal this morning- thank heavens!!

Kittykatfan- I am so happy to hear that your program is working for you!! And I for one am not bored by your tips at all- please, keep sharing!

Today will be day 5 and I am feeling pretty confident. My weight is back to normal and hopefully my blood sugar is too! :P looking forward to another LONG binge-free streak ;-)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #150  

KittyKatFan - how awesome! You are not rambling, but making sense and providing great information. 64 days, WOW! How encouraging. I am in personal therapy and learning how to deal with anxiety, which is a huge trigger for me. She always says the food will be there, too. Do you do one-on-one therapy or group?

FYI I made it through the night, didn't even go to the kitchen! Day 5, no binges!