4 days of overeating

• Hi guys,

Just want your thoughts about this 4 days of overeating. Well, the last four days (today was the fourth day) I ate a huge amount of food. I'm sure it was more than 5000 calories every day. So my question is, did I gain all the weight back that I lost (last week), and tomorrow it's going to be kind of.. starting all over again.. or did I just gain water weight or so.. the weight that I can lose again very fast?

I hope you understand what I mean..
  • It depends. It takes 3500 calories to gain/lose a lb. So, theoretically, you'll gain a lb of fat for every 3500 you ate in surplus.

Time will tell. Any blip on the scale will reflect this + added water weight.
  • Val is correct. Do you know how many calories it takes to maintain your weight? Hypothetically, let's say that it takes you 2000 calories a day to maintain your weight. That would mean that over the course of 4 days, you need 8000 calories to maintain your weight. Let's say that you ate 20,000 calories over 4 days (i.e., approx. 5,000 per day). That would mean you ate an excess of 12,000 calories. It takes 3,500 excess calories for you to gain a real pound, so you would have gained a real 3.4 lbs.

Don't beat yourself up over it, though. It is what it is. Just move forward and within month, that weight will be long gone if you're on plan.

Were you binging during those 4 days? I ask because I'm currently reading a book called Brain over Binge, and it's a drastically different concept about binging than I've ever read before. Just thought I would pass that along in case you're interested . . .
  • *hugs* You likely gained weight from that amount of calories. I would just leave it in the past and keep on going with your plan.