Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #1  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 220/TICKER/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Other ways of self-soothing?

This is going to sound weird, but I don't really miss the food aspect of binge eating. What I do miss is the comfort it offered.

I wasn't always a binge eater. Long story short, the love of my life died when I had

a) just moved to a new country and
b) was living alone for the first time.

When no one else was there, food was. It became the only point of light in otherwise miserable weeks--the only things I remember feeling during that period were desperate sadness and that brief, wonderful rush of numbness when I was bingeing.

Of course, the habit stuck. Binge eating became my primary coping mechanism, and the best way I knew how to calm myself down. I've been binge free since May (yay!) and I'm definitely not about to throw all that away, but...things are starting to get rough in my life again and I realized that I never really found a "replacement" coping mechanism--you know, one that isn't totally damaging. Any suggestions? What do you all use to keep yourselves calm, happy, and in control?

(Also, sorry for rambling!)
GreatPerhaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I'm not exactly sure. I haven't found a foolproof method (if you figure one out, let me know!), but I do a few things.

I do breathing exercises. Short, easy ones, because I don't like to be still for too long when I'm not mentally engaged in something.

I go driving, or biking a lot. I like to be out and moving around and going places. It soothes me a lot.

Grocery shopping actually clears my mind and calms me down. I don't do it more than once a week, but when I do it's nice.

A friend of mine draws a hot bubble bath, lights some candles and listens to cafe music or jazzy stuff.

Maybe you can find a hobby, an exercise, or a place to go that can kind of help you wind down?

I'm very sorry for your loss, by the way. I'm glad things seem to be going better for you now.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 09-28-2011 at 11:51 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #3  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Running took over for eating in my case.

I realize it's not fool-proof because I won't be able to run forever, but I suppose I'll figure it out then.

The high I get during a run is the closest thing to eating that I've ever experienced.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #4  
Lifting geek

S/C/G: 130/125/110

Height: 4'9''

Really sorry for your loss.

As to what to replace food comfort with, I suppose it highly depends on the person. I can only speak for myself. I have a high-stress profession and my old job also involved a lot of extremely frustrating people that I wanted to punch in the face all the time. Then I signed up for some combat conditioning classes and discovered that punching things actually help. A yoga class I used to go to in the lunch break twice a week also helped. A different sensory treat helps sometimes, like an incense stick or scented candles (some people claim that vanilla scented candles help them with sugar cravings).
Kittenmancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #5  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

Since my children are grown and moved away, I have adopted fur babies. It makes coming home from a stressful tiring job all worth it. All the training, grooming, and bathing keeps me busy with my boys.
WannaBeLoserAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #6  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 220/TICKER/120

Height: 5'3"

These are all wonderful ideas! I already do yoga, which definitely helps some, but maybe a more intense form of exercise (like running or kickboxing or something) would be helpful as well. Also love the idea of just giving yourself another type of "sensory treat," like lighting a candle.

Thank you for the help and support
GreatPerhaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197 / ticker / 140

Height: 5' 4"

milmin2043: I completely agree with your post about running!

I just started running about two months ago and now have done 4 5K races. I completely understand what you mean, I have replaced a lot of my food comfort with the racing comfort. I have my first 10K on the schedule 8 weeks from now. This has really help comfort me and it is awesome!

Last edited by solarplant; 09-29-2011 at 07:03 PM.
solarplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the previous posts that exercise is fantastic for relieving craviings.
Jamie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #9  

Using food for that comfort feeling is something I can relate to. Sadly I haven't found anything that helps replace the food part. Exercise is something I love to do but I have noticed once I'm in that mind frame to eat, I get depressed while I'm trying to fight it and well getting sweaty is the last thing on my mind. What I'm trying to do is have a folder of cute outfits, healthy women and old pictures of me. While it hasn't "worked" completely yet it's helping delay the binge and I'm just hoping it becomes a my new non food comfort.
So aside from what I'm trying to do, I wish you the best of luck!!
WinterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 329/319/140

Height: 5'6

I found that becoming preoccupied with my weightloss journey has really distracted me. This may sound silly but "window shopping" online for clothes I'll be able to wear really kills my appetite and takes that urge to binge down a notch.
lushless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/265/135

I can really relate to this. Ok, here are some things that I have found help me:

1. Coming onto this site, reading, writing and not feeling so alone.
2. When I achieve a mini goal, get a message or pedicure.
3. Shopping in resale shops for smaller stuff that fits. ( I sometimes find clothes for $1 to $3 , so I don't need to spend alot to feel better about my weight loss and getting new clothes.
4. Go for a nice walk in a beautiful park.
5. Think of something I never did before and go try it! Or find a place a never have been and explore it. Sometimes it's as simple as, I have never stopped into a particular store and I just take a few minutes and explore.

I walk all the time now and love it. For some reason running just feels too harsh on my body. Maybe as I get smaller I'll be able to do it.

These things have really helped me and would love to hear more great ideas.
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #12  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Having maybe a "safe" food that you can nibble on when you really need to munch. I know this seems kind of counter intuitive, but sometimes when I feel that overwhelming desire to munch out of boredom or stress or whatever else, I tell myself "Ok, sure, I can munch...BUT it has to be <insert safe food>." Baby carrots are satisfying to me or 25 calorie mug of hot chocolate. I have a real issue with boredom munching at work in the afternoons.

We have a cookie tin in the break room that literally has a sign on it that says "Eat me!" That stupid tin has been one of the primary struggles for me trying to get back on plan. This is embarrassing to admit, but for the last two months or so, I've seriously been eating at least, oh, a dozen or so cookies a day!!!!!! Just grab three at a time or so, little Oreo type cookies. That's a lot of stinkin' calories. But I have since bought a bag of baby carrots and a box of 25-calorie hot chocolate. For the most part, I've resisted the need to munch for the last few days, just take it an hour or so at a time. But yesterday, everyone was digging into the cookie tin, and I just needed to munch. A handful of baby carrots and a mug of hot chocolate did wonders for my need to snack, and it was only about 50cals, compared to hundreds of calories from cookies.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/209/150

Height: 5' 4"

WoW Lushless - that window shopping online is a good idea - I have been actually using a hot tea to kill my urge to eat - works for me when that temptation starts to kick in. Think next time I'll grab my tea and start checking out those fashion idea's online. he he
Roxsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Sorry for your loss

If I'm really upset about something I find working out gives me the same release that binging does. I also like taking episom salt baths and drinking red wine

These are fabulous tips!!
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote