Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #1  
Failure is not an OPTION!

S/C/G: 276/187/145

Height: 5'6

Exclamation Tips & Tricks ... to Stop Snacking

So just wanted to reach out to everyone for advice on

WHAT TO DO
WHEN YOU ARE NOTHUNGRY
In the past ...
I have drank chicken broth, tea, hot salt water, Yam Noodles, Rice Cakes, looked at fashion blogs for inspiration, went and looked at Ex's FB/Twitter (*embarrasedface*), Old pictures of my former body to stay FOCUSED!!!!

But that gnawling feeling persist that I am Hungry, when I am Definitely NOT

Do you guys have any tips tricks mind games, or food you go to for instant Satiable-ness (i think i made that word up
)

i.e counting backwords, Repeating Inspiration Phrases, Sucking on Ice

Or do you just indulge????

WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO???

*CLick Here*

PHAT-2-PHIT.BLOGSPOT.COM
"THE CHRONICLES OF AN EX FAT CHIC"
http://phat-2-phit.blogspot.com

*Click here Also*
love1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #2  
Happy Member

I chew gum. It helps me 'cause I can't snack with a stick of gum in my mouth.

Or I brush my teeth.

Or I crochet, or knit, or write a letter, or phone a friend, or walk around the block, or anything that can distract me from that hungry feeling.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/Ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Brush my teeth. It works EVERY time.
Try it.
Beila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #4  
Failure is not an OPTION!

S/C/G: 276/187/145

I heard chewing gum is bad for you because it prepares the enzymes in your tummy that food is coming therefoer you get hungrier *confusedface*

I would so love to learn how to crochet or knit #bucketlist

I will give brushing my teeth a try. Oral Hygiene & Controling binges Certified #Winning
love1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/185.5/149

I have no clue! I have been feeling hungry all day even though I ate lunch (even a bit more then planned). I think I will go brush my teeth...
kelly585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/114/108

I find brushing my teeth after dinner helps. I also buff and shine my nails while I watch tv in the evenings to keep my hands busy.

If I'm absolutely hungry then I will have a spoon of peanut butter. That usually does the trick.
LataJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #7  

Quote:
I chew gum. It helps me 'cause I can't snack with a stick of gum in my mouth.

Or I brush my teeth.

Or I crochet, or knit, or write a letter, or phone a friend, or walk around the block, or anything that can distract me from that hungry feeling.
Thanks.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

I've started drinking a big glass of water if I'm feeling the need to snack. It actually does help.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/153/135

Height: 5'3"

I found that, for me, anything that involves chewing or putting stuff in my mouth (gum, ect.) other than cold water makes my cravings for food, any food, WORSE.

So. If I'm having persistent "I MUST EAT SOMETHING" thoughts even when I know I'm not hungry (I check the time first, and look at my activity for the day--sometimes I am hungry), I try to do something like:

*go for a walk
*pray/meditate
*call somebody (I'm a member of OA so there's always someone to call)
*text or email somebody
*write in my journal
*set a time for 15 minutes and do whatever it is that I'm procrastinating about (the normal cause for "must eat something" thoughts for me).
*read the OA "Before you take the first compulsive bite" mini-pamphlet (I keep on in each car and in my wallet).
*tell myself that I could eat it, but I'm just not going to for a couple of hours or until dinner/lunch/breakfast, whenever the next meal is.
*write a letter to someone
*work on my writing project
*do my relaxation exercises (another typical trigger for "must eat" thoughts for me is stress/anxiety)
*plug in a favorite podcast and do some housework/other work while listening
*go get a hug from hubby (he works from home) to recharge and to tell him what I'm feeling (he doesn't problem solve, by my request, but sometimes it helps to just admit it out loud)
*get out my cat's favorite toy and play with him
*troll youtube for 15 minute to look for hilarious videos.
tigerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/166/130

Exercise!!!! Walking, gardening, treadmill, mowing lawn, anything that will make you sweat and/or be hot. When I get too hot, I don't want to eat anything. I just need a glass of cold water. If you have access to a sauna or steam room, it might work, but moving is better.
bingbangboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I agree with the brushing teeth idea; it's helped me alot especially when going to a place I don't want to eat but know there will be food at. I also agree that many of the previous ideas work well too.

I wanted to add to the list that I make sure that the types of food are very filling. At NutritionData.com, there is lots of data on each food item that also includes Fullness Factor (a number from 1 to 5, I think). I have used this along with volumetrics information to help find the most filling, nutritious and lowest calorie foods I like.

Below is a paste from their summary:

NUTRITIONAL TARGET MAP™
The Nutritional Target Map™ allows you to see at a glance how foods line up with your nutritional and weight-management goals. The closer a food is to the right edge of the map, the more essential nutrients per calorie it contains. For a more nutritious diet, select foods that fall on the right half of the map.

The closer a food is to the top edge of the map, the more likely it is to fill you up with fewer calories. If you want to restrict your caloric intake without feeling hungry, choose foods from the top half of the map.

Foods that are close to the bottom edge are more calorie-dense. If you want to increase your calorie intake without getting too full, choose foods from the bottom half of the map.

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...#ixzz1XHub4XuF
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 177/142.6/134

Height: 5'5

I put a sugar-free candy in my mouth first. Then I do one of the following:

1. Go buy a cup of coffee, plain or when I have the cals, Starbuck's Non fat Latte.

2. Exercise

3. Go window shopping & try on clothes

4. Finish the project that I'm avoiding (that's what usually sets me off)

5. Look at nature... birds, flowers, sky, whatever

6. Buy some item I need for the household or for me.

7. Pray for help.

Last edited by tyla; 09-07-2011 at 09:50 PM.
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #13  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

The teeth brushing definately works!!! And if it is after dinner and all my calories are spent, I check out my pee (gross, I know) and I'm usually just dehydrated, so I commit myself to drinking water "until I am hydrated". Telling myself this, plus the teeth brushing, gets me to bedtime.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #14  

Height: 1'7.5"

I think all the suggestions are awesome! I, however, appear to have an exceedingly difficult time breaking the obsessive thinking, even while I apply most of these interventions. For this reason, I allow myself 10 sugar free hard candies per day.
I know that the artificial sweetener is probably a bad idea and on most days I find that I only eat about 4 of them, but I also know that if I don't have something in my mouth that is incompatible with eating something that will do more damage, I will go for something that I should definitely not have. One of the candies will last for at least 20 minutes (I never chew them) and between those and water, herbal tea, etc., I make it between meals.
Having said this, clearly , the suggestions that do not involve eating needlessly, especially if the alternative behaviors are also productive, are preferable.
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 301/270/200

Height: 5'6"

I drink Tazo Passionfruit tea. So yummy zero calories, hot or cold. The tea bags are pretty strong so I can have 2 cups on 1 bag. Makes my belly full.
BottomFlower is offline   Reply With Quote