Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #1  

Default Binge Eating and Alcohol

Hello,

I am curious to know if anyone else struggles with alcohol consumption and binge eating? I do not drink everyday, but when I do drink, I find it hard to stop. It seems like I can't just have A drink. 1 leads to 2, etc. The feelings I experience afterward are the same feelings that I have when I binge with food. Remorse and disgust with myself. Seems I can't do anything with moderation.
Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone else struggles with this.

Thanks!
Gwen
justbeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Heck yes! Not so much now but definitely been here before. Something that helped me was literally telling myself I will not eat at all costs before I had any drinks. The act of telling myself that before drinking seemed to helpe me stay committed to that. And sometimes that prior "self talk" was was enough to keep me from binging once I had a little buzz. Other things that have helped me are keeping veggies and fruit around. I know that's hard if you go out to a bar, but if everyone is going for late night food after, I've been known to order a fruit cup or steamed veggies. I have more control now and can avoid all food when I have a couple drinks with friends but I also don't drink more than 2 times a month or so, so it's less of an issue overall. Some people have had to cut out alcohol altogether.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #3  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Yup. I ended up cutting out alcohol completely, at least for now. I wasn't using it under the best of intentions, anyway, which certainly didn't help the binge behavior.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #4  

Thanks for answering me....Addictive behavior is tough. It's comforting to know that others struggle just like me although I am sorry that you do.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Luckily alcohol is not a problem for me. I guess growing up with an alcoholic father will kind of put you off it :/ I still enjoy a glass of wine or two... But even when I'm out with friends that's as far as I go. I struggle enough with the feeling like I've lost control when I binge eat - and for some reason it's a million times worse if I binge drink. I wish it were as easy for me to say no to binge eating as it is to say not to binge drinking.

Either way, it's tough. Hang in there. I wish I had better advice for you, but will instead just offer a
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

I totally get you. Alcohol is the same as food to me in that it's extremely difficult to enjoy moderately. In the past, having a drink or two would easily turn into several drinks and then eating tons of junk. Drinking led to binge drinking, which led to binge eating.

I've managed (for the most part) to drink more moderately, but my problem sort of reversed itself- now it's binge eating that leads to binge drinking. I figure since I'm eating so badly, I may as well have drinks too and really 'live it up'. Stupid way of thinking, I know.

Anyway, some things that help me only have a couple of drinks are making rules such as I can only drink after a certain time, I have to save calories for it, and I pre measure it out. I started buying the mini packs of wine, each one is six ounces and about 140 cals. So I'll let myself have 2-3 of those instead of just drinking whatever I want from a bigger bottle.

It really sucks to battle and I totally understand.
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

Height: 5'8"

Yes! I totally know what you mean! I almost feel like it's a "waste" of calories if I have ONE drink because it's not even enough to feel a little relaxed, so then I get into the idea that if I'm going to have one I might as well just make it three. Then I've had six and I have a terrible headache!! Lately I've just been turning it around and thinking, "I don't want to have three drinks, so why even have one? " Still, it is really hard when I'm hanging out with friends.

James Thurber once said, "One martini is all right, two is too many and three is not enough."
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I can relate! Oh can I ever! I just think I have an addictive personality (cliche saying perhaps, but nevertheless...) and I do it with food and I do it with alcohol. It's so much easier for me to just not drink, than to try to drink just 1 or 2. As many of you above me have said, it turns into 3, sometimes more. Then, to make it worse, I get the "drunkies" or at least it turns into an excuse to eat whatever I want! Thinking, gee, I've already drank all these calories, what's stopping for pizza/fast food/ice cream etc. going to do? It's a vicious cycle and I'm still learning. I find it best if I only drink around others, and also when I know I will be with people all night through to the next morning - it keeps me in check because I would get embarrassed to binge in front others like I can when I'm alone. That's why I really like it when my boyfriend stays over! It's when I go out drinking and wind up home alone later that night that the trouble really sets in. Oy! So I just try to a) not drink or b) drink only socially. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! Lately it's been working
uwfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I didn't think alcohol was much of a problem, but in the first week and a half that I stopped drinking, I lost 4lbs. That tells me something.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #10  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Height: 5'8"

I can also relate. I don't necessarily "binge" with drinking, but my girlfriends and I certainly enjoy "getting our buzz on," on occasion.

Lately I haven't been drinking because I find that when I drink, I am MUCH more likely to eat too much as a result (usually by ordering pizza).

For now, I'm abstaining from anything other than either one glass of wine, or one beer. We'll see what the future brings.

So no ... you're not alone!!
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

I soooooo have this problem. And it's nice to hear that someone else does too even though I'm sorry you're struggling with it. I've had this problem since I turned 21 14 years ago and it's how I gained most of my weight. I've never considered myself an alcoholic (a label I feel is entirely subjective) because I'm highly functional. I have the same issue as others mentioned where I don't have to drink and don't always drink. But when I drink I don't stop at 1 or 2 or 3. Then the problem is that I ended up eating like crap. And then if I happen to have a hangover the next day then I don't want to exercise and I eat crappy hangover food. So I've wasted two days of not being healthy. It's a vicious cycle.

I tend to want to drink when I'm stressed out or I'm bored. So it's a habit when sitting in front of the tv or after a bad day at work. Over the years my tolerance has gotten really high which is partially why I don't stop at 1 drink. There have been points in my life when I've stopped completely and really got into exercise. But due to other health issues (hypothyroidism, PCOS), I never lost weight which was so discouraging and just got me back into the habit. But now that I'm getting the health issues under control through medication and am losing a little weight, I'm starting to really believe that I can quit this binge cycle. But it's really really hard to break these habits. And like you I'm really disgusted with myself after a binge. I'm tired of feeling that way. But habits have to change. I'm trying to find ways to occupy my nights better after work. Plus I'm not hanging out with my friends who drink as much which is also hard. But until I get this under control I'm not going to lose weight due to all of the extra calories plus other things that your body goes through because of this.

Not sure if this helped. But it's a process. Hopefully you'll have good luck in your battle. Stick with it just like I'm trying to stick with it as well.
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/166/130

Height: 5'3"

I can totally relate. My girlfriends are the type who want to go out and get drunk every weekend, which invariably results in a post-drinking fast food fest and then crappy hangover food the next day. I only ever join them about once a month or so, and even though I feel so guilty when ordering fast food at three in the morning I can't stop myself. It's a combination of drunken wanting and peer pressure, I think.

I'm thinking of giving up alcohol altogether (apart from the odd glass of wine or cider, but will stop at one) for the next few months and hoping it helps to improve my healthy eating habits.
jennybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 133/116/105

Height: 5'0"

My binge drinking (which was about 3 - 4 times per week) led to late night drunk eating ..with the greasiest, unhealthiest food and hangover eating as well. That's the main reason why I gained as much weight as I did.

I still have the problem of binge drinking but I now drink only on Fridays and Saturdays and never drunk eat anymore. I also exercise any day that I know I'll be drinking to make up for the calories.. whenever I'm hungover I've found that going on the stationary bike at a slow pace or going for a walk outside actually helps me feel better and prevents the hangover eating.

Also, when you come home from a late night of drinking just try going straight to sleep instead of going to the fridge.. you will be much happier in the morning.
0059500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #14  
livin' life more aware

S/C/G: 210/210/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0059500 View Post
My binge drinking (which was about 3 - 4 times per week) led to late night drunk eating ..with the greasiest, unhealthiest food and hangover eating as well. That's the main reason why I gained as much weight as I did.

I still have the problem of binge drinking but I now drink only on Fridays and Saturdays and never drunk eat anymore. I also exercise any day that I know I'll be drinking to make up for the calories.. whenever I'm hungover I've found that going on the stationary bike at a slow pace or going for a walk outside actually helps me feel better and prevents the hangover eating.

Also, when you come home from a late night of drinking just try going straight to sleep instead of going to the fridge.. you will be much happier in the morning.
I also have had to cut back to drinking only on the weekends, and I definitely have a similar eating pattern to you when I drink. It's so bad for your body to take in so many calories (from alcohol and food), and then to just lay down and go to sleep. It turns straight to fat. But it's a hard cycle to break.

I've been trying not to eat after drinking, too. Good luck to both of us.
naturalmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #15  

Just wanted to pop in and let you all know that I am attending AA and Celebrate Recovery for my alcohol bingeing. Any kind of bingeing is a symptom of an emotional problem. If I'm not binge eating, I'm binge drinking. If I'm not doing either one of those, my thoughts are going crazy. I can't stand it at times. I want freedom from this vicious circle that I have dealt with since I was 14. I will be 50 in Feb. I'm tired and I have surrendered. I can't do this on my own and once I accepted that is when I asked for help.

Love and hugs,
Gwen