Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 04:15 PM   #1  

Thumbs down binge eating disorder treatment

I was wondering if anyone had ever sought treatment for binge eating disorder.....I am about to enter treatment with a psychologist who has specialized in this field for over 15 years. I had my first session with her a few weeks ago, and I can't tell you how wonderful it is for someone to recognize this problem I have fought for most of my life ( I thought I was the only one in the world who thinks about food like I do) and to clarify it as a disorder, and that she says she will be able to help me. I don't know if I believe her, but it is worth a shot. I CANNOT live the rest of my life like this, eating in secret and gaining more and more every day....
Old 01-07-2003, 05:02 PM   #2  

I have social anxiety so going to talkwith someone is not very easy for me. I just realized thatI had a problem about 2 weeks ago but I am trying to help myself first, along with my husband.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:54 PM   #3  
Domestic Goddess

Right now I'm trying things on my own. If I find that I can't do this on my own then I guess that therapy would be an option. I think I would be afraid of doing that for a few reasons....first this would also mean admitting this to my DH because I dont think he know that I have this problem and the second reason is I dont know if our insurance would cover something like this.

I do however think that your going to WONDERFUL....please keep posting with us and let us know how everything is going.

Blessings to you, Chrissy
Old 01-09-2003, 12:36 PM   #4  

Default Trying Therapy Too.

I have recently started therapy in conjunction with my new food plan/exercise plan. So far it's helped me.

I didn't actually go specifically for my food obsession, I went for depression and anxiety. In one of my sessions, I brought up my binge eating and obsessing about food. I am already on Paxil for anxiety, but the depression is what makes me eat I think. (That and habit) I'm going to start on medication for depression soon in hopes that it will help me curb my bingeing.

Stick with the therapy! It may not be 'the cure' but may help you figure out WHY you eat and pin point some triggers that spur you to eat. And take some comfort in knowing that you are not alone in your struggle against food. We all need to fight it together!!

JohnnieAnn

Old 01-09-2003, 01:06 PM   #5  

JohnnieAnn did your therapist give you any pointers on the compulsive eating? Hy hubby said that he would help me in any way that he could but I have no idea what to tell him to do. I don't have the funding to go to a therapist right now so I am looking for any help anywhere I can find it.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #6  

Default Therapy Pointers

My therapist gave me some very useful pointers that I'll be happy to share here.

First of all she said I need to find out WHY I eat and to help me with that I need to talk/write what I feel when I want to binge eat. When I have a craving, I have to say/write "I really want some chocolate right now" and then I have to talk/write about WHY I want it. Am I bored? Am I lonely? Am I worried about something? If so, what? Am I mad? What about? The activity of writing or talking gets to the root of why I want to put something in my mouth and gets me out of the kitchen and away from the food. My best friend and hubby know that I they pick up the phone or get an IM saying "I want cheesepuffs" they have to literally 'talk me down' from my craving.

Second, she said I need to write down all of my trigger foods - the things that I tend to binge on. If I can specify certain foods then I can get them out of the house! I also have to be weary when I'm out of the house. If I know I can't control myself (like with ice cream) I must avoid stopping at places like Fosters Freeze or Wendy's where I can get a quick fix. I try not to even drive past those places because my car just kinda steers itself that way!

Third, I actually have to talk to myself! She said I should make my own mantra or chant that I can tell myself when I feel a craving coming on and to get myself to exercise. My mantra for exercise is "I can do it. I am WORTH the effort!" I tell myself that over and over again while I'm on the treadmill and hating every second of it. When I feel a craving coming on, or I feel myself reaching for something I don't need, I tell myself "You are stronger than the food. You don't need it. You are in control." It actually helps if I say it outloud so I can hear my voice and make myself believe it!

I hope these tips help. Keep up the good fight!
Old 01-09-2003, 07:20 PM   #7  
Domestic Goddess

That's great advice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:09 AM   #8  

Hi. I have been considering starting therapy too. I don't have any idea how to go about finding a therapist, much less on that specializes in binge eating or obesity.

I have been trying for 4 years now to lose this weight and all I do is go up and down the same 10 pounds. I've tried it all. I must have some issue I need to resolve before I can be rid of this weight.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:01 PM   #9  

Default Finding Help

Debbie, if you have insurance, go to your doctor and tell them what you need to do. They will help you get on a health plan that is right for you and help you find the kind of counseling best suited for your disorder.

I've been going to counseling for about a month or so and am on day 6 of not binging. BIG accomplishment for me!! I've gotta do it a day at a time and just stay focused.

Good luck in your quest for better health!!

JohnnieAnn
Old 01-12-2003, 05:00 PM   #10  

I am crying so hard right now....I didn't know that what I did was binge eating....I didn't know this. A friend directed me here. I guess she knew and, didn't want to tell me. Most nights after my husband goes to bed I start eating, and eating and eating...don't say what everyone else does...."go to bed with him" he goes to bed so early that I'll just lay there and, I am miserable. My bio clock just won't do it. I hate when people say that to me. Like DUH...I have never thought of that. Just can't do it. His hours are so different. Maybe I can get some help from ya'll. Funny, I manage pretty good during the day.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:42 PM   #11  

Default Night Eating

After my hubby went to bed was my "primetime" for bingeing too. I'd turn up the TV a little to make sure he couldn't hear the rustle of cheese puffs bags, or the pantry door opening and closing again and again. Nightime was perfect because there was noone to see me sitting with the tub of ice cream and a spoon or sitting with the cake plate and a fork. I was like a criminal waiting for the cover of darkness to burgal food!

My husband works normal hours, but he travels a lot and that means I'm left home alone at night with nothing but my cravings. The best advice I can give for night time bingeing is to clean the house of ALL your binge foods and then try and find something to keep your mind off of food in general. (I read and do creative writing) You might try to get involved in a hobby like knitting or scrap booking, or cross stitch. Anything that will keep you busy until it's time for bed. If your hands and mind are busy, it is easier to get passed the cravings and obsession.

When I DO get a craving, I pick up my book and then I reach for iced tea, diet cola, or coffee. If you don't get the gitters from caffeine they are good craving controlers. For me, slowly enjoying the flavor and smell get me passed the urge to eat, without any extra calories and fat. Crystal light and herb/fruit teas are good too!

I hope you keep coming back to this website for encouragement and support. We can all get to our goals if we work hard and reach out for help!
Old 01-12-2003, 05:50 PM   #12  

Thank you so much for answering me so soon. I appreciate you so much......when ever you eat a meal do you feel like you could just keep on eating and never feel up??? Or, soon after a whole meal could you eat again....alot? I think something is so wrong with me. I am really a disgusting person. I need to lose 50 lbs yesterday. I just hate me.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:21 AM   #13  

Default Stay Strong!

Listen, you are NOT disgusting. You have a problem with food and it's a disease. Would you feel the same way if you had cancer or MS? Those are 'okay' disease to have and noble if you fight them, but somehow we think we're pathetic and weak if our struggle is against food! You are a valuable person - over weight or not. Keep a focus on that!

Absolutely I can eat a meal and just keep eating. Sometimes I'll eat until I'm full, then keep going until I'm stuffed, and then keep going until I almost feel sick. And here's the reason why - it's not the food I crave! I thought it was, and, yes, I still fight my cravings, (every day, several times a day) but I know that it's something else that I really crave. It's attention, affection, encouragement, friendship and peace. Believe it or not, food is not what YOU crave either. There is something inside that needs to be filled and food is the easiest thing to fill it with.

You feel depressed because you're 50 pounds over weight - honey, I'm 100 pounds over weight! Just imagine how I feel some mornings! But then my husband hugs or or my little girl says she loves me and I know that I AM worthy of love and a special person and I deserve to regain my power over food. Keep strong and know that you are loved and appreciated and that you can win this fight over food!

JohnnieAnn
Old 01-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #14  

FT and Debbie you are not alone. I am been dealing with this for awhile but I just realized it a couple of weeks ago. I have found that since my hubby knows (that was a really difficult conversation) I have been more consiouse of what I am doing. My hubby is out of town alot at night too. I will sit watching tv and eat a whole bag of chips and then eat a half of a bag of cookies. I have found that if I record what I am eating and be truly honest with myself it helps me be more in control. The reason I eat is becase Iam lonely. I really don't have any friends to call and talk to so I kind of have to do this on my own.

I have been doing better over the past week. I have been doing what JohnnieAnn said about question why you are eating. It really did work a few nights ago. Hubby was not home and all I wanted to do was raid the fridge. I was strong and didn't do it. I know that all of us can get through this we just need to learn to lean on each other.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #15  
Domestic Goddess

Sometimes I hope that my hubby does go to bed early so I can eat. I plan my binges so I'll go to the store and sort of stock up on the things that I know I can eat in one night. Ice cream, cookies, any sort of junk

Getting rid of the junk is such a good idea. As I go along I am learning alot more about my eating habits. I thought for sure that I would be O.K. with a cup of hot chocolate....guess what...it threw my into a horrible tail spin and I've been fighting the urge to binge for the past three days. I have been keeping things under control but not as controlled as I think I can. I have been eating hard pretzels here and there. They are not something that I would binge on they are just something that I'll pick up when I'm feeling stressed. I need to stop that one. Tomorrow I'm going to keep a list of the foods that I'm eating and see how that goes. I have to make a real effort to eat three meals a day. I have a problem with the breakfast and lunch...no problem with dinner. It seems that my prime time to binge is anytime after 2 in the afternoon. I think that's because I'm usually done with all my things that I need to do with the boys and the housework is usually done then too. It's like I'm relaxed and I plop down on the sofa. Then I think I need to eat something. This is where I can get into trouble.

Blessings , Chrissy
Closed Thread