Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 04:56 PM   #46  
Domestic Goddess

Just checking in to see how everyone's doing.

I had a bad weekend. I didn't binge I just ate more then I should.

So much stress, DH's uncle passed away on Sunday morning. My grandmother will have to go to a long term care facility she has dementia and the debt consolidation company that DH and I will be using said that our payments will have to be $150 more a month then they initually quoted us. This all leads to stress for me. I think the thing that really stresses me out the most is the financial difficulties that DH and I have. I hate it and dont feel that I have control over it. We dont have credit cards anymore so we dont charge anything...it's the idea that we dont have the cards that worries me to death. I'm always saying to myself...what if ...what if ....what if....I guess I could go on like that forever or just learn to trust....I know that's the right thing to do. I dont like giving up any control and on this one I have to.

I'll check in later

Chrissy
Old 01-22-2003, 06:40 PM   #47  

Oh heavens no!!! I am trying to do the low carb thing. I did great on it this past summer.....I think carbs and winter go ttogether. haha Just can't get to stay on track. Need to pin my ears back a bit more and kick my arse a few more times. PLUS, I am an emotional eater and things have been a bit upsetting lately. Also, no cardio excercise and I need to sweat.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:33 AM   #48  

You sound like you know what needs to be done. Now just take your time and do one small thing a day until you are doing all that you should. I know that we can all get this groove going. Come on girls! We are losers!!
Old 01-23-2003, 01:46 PM   #49  

hahaha Yes we are losers!! (love it)
You are right!! One thing at a time. I thought about that last night. This week I eleminate sugar. Next week I eleminate all potatoes etc. before you know it I will be totally carb free again. Just to hard for me to do it all at one time because, I am so addicted. I need to lose 44 lbs but my goal right now is just 5 lbs. Think my time frame should be in one month? I think that is resonable....don't you? Where is ChrissyB?
Old 01-23-2003, 04:22 PM   #50  
Domestic Goddess

I am here. Just lurking right now. My world has been turned on it's ear. I dont have alot of time right now to explain so go over to my journal and take a look.

See ya later, ChrissyB
Old 01-23-2003, 05:44 PM   #51  

going now Chrissy...
Old 01-23-2003, 07:09 PM   #52  

Ok Gotcha Chrissy......understand now.....we are here for ya when you need us.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:35 PM   #53  

Angry

Hi all, I have been lurking for a while and felt compelled to share my eating disorder "treatment"/history.

I am a self-diagnosed binge/compulsive eater. I have had a eating disorder since I was a child. No one ever called it that; so it was labeled a "willpower" issue. I started hating myself, everyday berating myself for being weak-willed, for failing another diet.

Then, in May 2002, I picked up some diet books from the library. I had got up to a whopping 250 pounds (I am only 5' 2") and I was very depressed. One of the books was "Losing It" by Laura Fraser. She opened my eyes. This was no "diet" book. Laura Fraser is a journalist that did an expose on the diet industry and society's role in women's self image. I couldn't believe what I was reading, she started right out by saying that diets do not work, if anything, they are the root cause to all eating disorders, not the solution.

I did some additional reading into this "anti-diet" thinking, and it has changed my life. I have been working to give myself permission to have what I want to eat, when I want, and to stop when I am full (with the approval to eat more if I am hungry later). It is like I had to tell myself the obvious; the stuff that thin people take for granted. I am re-discovering my relationship with food. I still have a lot of work to do, but the obssessions and cravings are SO much better.

I have struggled with fighting back the diet mantra that I became a pro at..."did I drink enough water, did I have too many refined carbs?", etc. Instead, I am trying to incorporate the obvious healthy ways of eating into my daily life and allow myself to enjoy lifes indulgences when I feel the urge...chocolate, fine wine, chips and salsa, etc.

It is working. I have lost 50 pounds. I don't feel deprived, and I feel more in control of my relationship with food and eating. The cravings are not gone, but the binging is subsiding. I still get the urge to pull out a tupperware dish of last night's enchiladas and stand (not sit) and eat it...cold, right out of the tupperware, like, someone else said, "a food burglar". And I do forgive myself afterward.

Best to you all.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:30 PM   #54  

I am so glad you unlurked and spoke up!!! I will look into that book!! It sounds right to me!!! Thank you so much!! Congradulations on your 50lb weight loss. I would be so elated. I love to hear of success and PLEASE post again and help us....we need people like you. Gratefully, FT
Old 01-25-2003, 10:33 AM   #55  

AD thanks for sharing your story. You really anre an inpiration to me. I look forward to hearing from you again.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:44 AM   #56  

Hey girlfriends....I know everyone has a story but, I just wrote mine in my journal and, it was the hardest thing I ever did. (well, almost)....you may want to swing over there and see where I am coming from.....love you guys...FT
Old 01-27-2003, 12:32 PM   #57  

I am going right now.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:57 PM   #58  

Wow FT, that is all that I can say. I had no idea what a rough time you have had. I am thankful that you have shared that with us and I am also glad that you have come here. This is your way of begining a new you. You have taken the first steps and you a truley doing a great job. Keep your chin up and remember that we are all here for you!
Old 01-27-2003, 04:29 PM   #59  

You know what??? It surprises me when I read it...it is all true and there is even more....I didn't know things were that bad. I really didn't...
Old 01-27-2003, 06:38 PM   #60  

Default Me too!

Hello everyone! It has been really great to read that I am truly not alone with my disorder. I began binge eating last year (I am a college student) after I lost a lot of weight and had been really hard on myself about not gaining it back. I experimented with bulimia...which was pretty much like having a binge episode and then purging it. The bulimia only lasted a few months, but never got over my enjoymentof binging. When I moved in with my grandmother last summer to take care of her...i got much worse. She always wanted to feed me, but I would be good and refuse...but late at night I began to sneak food...and whenever I was by myself, I would consume all the "bad foods" in enormous quantities really fast. I gained weight and my binging got worse because I was becoming more and more concerned with my food and my image. I still have problems now...sometimes I plan out my binges and go to the store specifically to get foods to binge on. I'm not yet really large, but I have stopped working out and my pants don't fit. I still have good spirits most of the time...but really want to stop my binging...I hate being so secretive and large. I am going to begin working out again this week. My goal is to lose 30-35 pounds. I'm glad to have found a support group.
Miss Minerva
Closed Thread