Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #16  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Jeffrey and I could certainly swap some stories! In fact, I keep track of many of my parents' antics on a blog. Haven't shared Mom's recent hystrionics since my dad passed, but I'm on the verge!

By the way, Saef, thank you for the new vocabulary word! Obdurate...love it!

Maria, I do have my own support system and methods for managing the stress. And I am so grateful for them! I'm a loyal user of EBT and belong to a group that meets weekly to practice the method. It works! I go to a Pilates class five days a week. It also works! I have my own therapist I visit twice a month. I journal/blog. And I have a few close friends who have very similar experiences with their parents and we dish as often as we can. I also have my sister and my godmother who help some with my mother.

We are seeing a little dementia with Mom. I think part of it was stress from having to care for Dad, which was pretty intense for her for a few years. She wasn't sleeping properly. She was forgetful and not thinking too clearly for a few months. This has improved recently.

I would love to get her to a psychologist. She is terrified of being pronounced crazy. She's seen some in the past, because she has suffered pain that was psychosomatic when nothing was really wrong with her physically. The closest we can do is to keep using who is at our disposal, my godmother. She's a social worker and has worked for county mental health for several years. She keeps an eye on Mom weekly and we discuss how she's doing often. I haven't told her about the bulemia thing yet because I've only recently put that together, but my godmother is well aware of the anorexia and purging of the past. And also being Greek, she had one of these mothers too!

Bargoo, I understand about always wondering if I ever did enough for my parents. But frankly, I don't believe I'll wallow in that regret once Mom is gone. I will never be equipped enough to help my mother with everything, and it took me a long time to accept that. She is not at all neglected. She is well cared for and lives a very comfortable life. The misery she chooses to remain in is her own. She's wired that way. I've discussed this with my godmother and my therapist. What if my mother someday woke up to her behaviors and realized how much joy she missed, how much of a happy life she passed up, and how much misery she visited upon her family and former friends. It would be a huge emotional leap for her to come to that realization, and it would be incredibly painful to face.

I've learned about the concept of melding recently, becoming emotionally enmeshed with others. Caregivers have a tendency to do this. It's not emotionally healthy. It has taken a lot of work on my part to disentangle my own issues from my parents', ex-husband's and friends'. I still have a way to go, but I am starting to feel free and it feels really good! There are expectations that we care for our elderly parents. I cared for my father till he passed and I am caring for my mother now. But I'm not giving up my life her. Which is her expectation, passively unvoiced but I've been aggressively reminded of it. I'm not even sure she's actually bulemic. She tells me she's made herself vomit to feel some relief, but then she scrutinizes my face to see if I believe her or not. She's a compulsive liar when it suits her too.

I am angry about all the time I've spent worrying about my mother. Since I was a little girl and I would pray to God that I could take on all her pain so she wouldn't hurt so much. I could have used all that time and energy living my own life and making it a wonderful experience for me! I am grateful that I am now awakened to all that and have turned my life completely around. My mother resents that. She hates that she no longer has the same control over me.

Well, now my stomach hurts. But I think it's actually hunger. Yep, time for the good part about being Greek...fish and dandelion greens dressed in olive oil and lemon for lunch!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Georgia, I never meant to imply that you are not doing enough. I, too, had a mother, and a mother in law , neither of which were Greek, but they certainly had their ways. In my own mothers case I must admit that we didn't get along that well, but I did look after as well as I could. There were times , though when I just felt I was too busy, or that she was interrupting something I wanted to do. After she was gone I realized my mother took care of me, when I couldn't talk or walk. couldn't feed myself .. who got up in th middle of the night when I was sick ? It was Mom. The little bit of time I gave her in her later years were nothing compared to the time taking care of a newborn baby daughter and being responsible for her for 18 years. Yes, I was sorry after she was gone that I wasn't more patient. Not that I was mean to her but, like you the time looking after an elderly parent did get on my nerves at times. And my mother was like yours, able to take care of herself but did need help in certain areas. Good luck to you, it is rough being in the middle of generations.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #18  
Working hard

S/C/G: 280/272/250

Height: 5'5"

It is always a struggle to balance a difficult family member. You can only do the best you can do and make sure all the major things are taken care, which it sounds like you have done everything to cover everything that she needs day to day. It becomes very hard to deal with when someone who can manipulate you and make you feel as though you haven't done enough, that is just where you have to look deep inside and know that you are doing what you need to do and everything that you can do especially considering she isn't meeting you half way. As for the vomiting it is a good idea to mention it to the doctor now because though she may be taking the medications she needs, they might staying in her system long enough to work.
Stay strong and vent as much as you need because it always helps to get things out and release it off your shoulders. I hope it gets better soon
jenfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #19  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

My gratitude to everyone for sharing your thoughts with me. I really appreciate it. I am struggling with the desire to not be manipulated into being engaged in another contrived emotional event and making sure Mom really isn't harming herself. I just got home from work only to find another message on my answering machine about her imminent death and no one caring for her when I know my sister called her today and a friend of my father's went over to help her with some things around the house and she got to feed him. And I was just there yesterday for two hours with my sons (and she fed them), and my sister is going over tomorrow to spend several hours with her.

It is difficult to accept her as she is. News of her imminent death is an escalation of her fears because I'm going away for three weeks to a class and a conference for work. Every time I go away she behaves like this, for as long as I can remember. I don't have a bottomless well of patience.

Bargoo, I didn't think that at all. Please don't worry about it! I have changed the way I look at the role of parenting. I appreciate that my parents cared for me and raised me. I felt a responsibility to help care for them in their later years, because they're my parents. I just don't feel I can contribute to my mother's illness. That would actually be irresponsible of me. It's obvious that it's pointless to hope she will change. I really wish I could stop doing that. But I still hope. She's not a bad person or an evil person. She's not well and she won't accept the proper treatment. And she's 82 and change doesn't seem like something she's willing to do.

Thanks again, everyone! I think I'll call her doctor tomorrow and see what he has to say.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #20  

The woman is 82--close to the end of her life--and she's suffering the trauma of losing her husband (maybe her closest and only friend?). And she's acting out her grief, as we all do, acting out-of-whack.

Why torment her so? Why control her life so? Why not let her decide if and when and where she wants to do things? And bi-polar? Hmmm. Seems to be a very popular disease these days, seeing how there's no medical diagnosis, only a judgement of one's mental condition. I'd get a second opinion on that. Or maybe just let her be. Good grief--the woman's 82. Why not give her some space and respect and let her have some peace!

I couldn't help but notice your bitterness against your mother. Surely this bitterness is somehow discoloring this whole picture. Why not first work on your attitude before you fix your mother's?

Love and kindness do wonders for people.
triasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by triasa View Post
The woman is 82--close to the end of her life--and she's suffering the trauma of losing her husband (maybe her closest and only friend?). And she's acting out her grief, as we all do, acting out-of-whack.

Why torment her so? Why control her life so? Why not let her decide if and when and where she wants to do things? And bi-polar? Hmmm. Seems to be a very popular disease these days, seeing how there's no medical diagnosis, only a judgement of one's mental condition. I'd get a second opinion on that. Or maybe just let her be. Good grief--the woman's 82. Why not give her some space and respect and let her have some peace!

I couldn't help but notice your bitterness against your mother. Surely this bitterness is somehow discoloring this whole picture. Why not first work on your attitude before you fix your mother's?

Love and kindness do wonders for people.
Oh my. After re-reading this post, it seems harsh. Let me explain further.

When we're left with a mess that others have created, we get angry and bitter. Others in your mother's life have enabled her to be helpless in areas and certainly limited in her ability to care for herself. Nobody seems to have at any time been firm enough with her to demand that she take on responsibility for herself. Thus, she has remained child-like in her need for care.

I, too, am in a situation like this. And I have no patience for adults who act like babies--who don't try to learn things for themselves, and thus demand much care and attention from others. And I became angry and bitter also with those who enabled this situation, those who fed this immature adult's helplessness. And I, by default, became the caretaker. In essence, this adult and all her family have left me a mess. And a silly, senseless one.

Then I come along and be firm and begin to make the adult take responsibility for themselves, and for this, I become the witch.

I've had to learn to deal with this bitterness. It kept me from moving on to better things in my life. I learned to forgive, to be patient with the helpless adult, as well as with all their enablers, and to stand firm in the face of fierce opposition from them. I've had to learn not to lose my dignity, but to remain calm, gentle, and peaceful--all the while maintaining my stance that this "adult" become one.

So sorry if I came across as judgmental. You're getting enough of that I'm sure from all of them.

Last edited by triasa; 05-30-2011 at 03:15 PM.
triasa is offline   Reply With Quote