Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default I feel like I'm losing control..

Ever since my husband came home from training for his job in the Army, I have slowly been feeling like I'm losing control. While he was away, I was very focused about my new lifestyle change and worked out everyday. I love working out now. I love the elliptical and have been wanting to use it for awhile now. I don't think I have gotten a good workout in a week.
We just found our new apartment and are in the process of moving our things. We also have to deep clean our apartment because our landlord didn't get that done before we told her we were moving in. It's been very stressful. It seems like all we have been eating is fast food. I just was horrible this week. My stomach couldn't handle it well. I couldn't digest it well. Ugh, I just feel yucky.
I just can't wait to be settled. I can't wait to go grocery shopping for healthy foods again. I just need to get my hubby on board the healthy eating train. I feel like when I'm with him I give in a whole lot more to unhealthy foods.
I need to get my control back! Especially since I'm moving back in with my husband soon!

How do you chicks manage to gain back your control? It's so easy to slip out of it.

Last edited by abetterme; 04-08-2011 at 01:28 PM.
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180 / 137 (regained) / 100

Height: 5'2"

My suggestion? Have a heart to heart talk with your hubby about this. Not just tell him that you want him to start eating healthier with you, but that you're struggling with this and it would be a great support to you if you guys could do it together. Even just telling someone in your life that you're struggling with something can be somewhat helpful in dealing with it, in my opinion. It makes you feel like you're not alone, and then you feel stronger. Even just coming on here helps, but I bet talking to your hubby would help even more

The first few days to a week will probably be the hardest (I'm still struggling with marginal success getting through my first week binge free and without eating too much crap!)... and then you'll be on a roll and feel too good to easily go back. You're worth it! Gotta fight for yourself! Best of luck.
teff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

It's tough when life doesn't give you the time and it's amazing how it's easier to be healthy alone. I agree that you need to have a heart to heart with your husband. If nothing else, he really ought to be eating healthy to be in tip top shape for the military. This would be a great time for the two of you do do things together like going out for a walk or run.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #4  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

I really feel for you Kelsey! My husband just doesn't get it that I want/NEED to eat healthy. He brings in junk all the time. Fine for him, he's able to resist it. If you HAVE to buy fast food, make it a grilled chicken salad, or a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad. How about Wendy's baked potato w/chili? Or, run into the grocery store for a rotisserie chicken and salad from the salad bar - but buy a light dressing. Once you're settled in and cooking again - pick up a copy of Cooking Light magazine, there are always great recipes in it - things you could both eat!

As for exercising, can you allow yourself to relax about it until you've cleaned the apartment and moved in? Stressing about it is just going to hurt you more (cortisol and all that stuff.) Besides, with all the moving and cleaning you'll be using lots of muscles you don't hit on the elliptical, and you'll still be exercising! Once you're settled in, bring him to the gym with you, I bet he'll love it too!

Have you tried working out with exercise videos? I've been doing a few different ones, trying to switch up my routine. I love the elliptical too, but was SO sore all over after doing 4 different workouts. Try belly dancing - I bet he'll love that!
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Those are some great suggestions! I plan on working out with him as soon as we are settled and get my jogging stroller. (We have a 6 month old daughter) While he was away at training he got lazy and ate crap, then he was really struggling with his PT tests. Luckily he passed in the end. I promised I would help him get back in shape when we were finally settled. I'm excited for that but I hope I won't have to drag him out of bed to get moving.
He's a picky eater and isn't a fan of veggies. He only likes green beans and corn, but I can work with that I guess.
I will try having a heart to heart about it and I hope he will understand where I'm coming from.
Gwen: I love my workout DVDs. I can't wait to unpack them. I currently live with my parents and use their elliptical. When we are all moved in I plan on using the DVDs and want to take up jogging with a jogging stroller (whenever I get one lol)
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I understand how you feel completely! When I move back and forth from college to my parent's house, it's hard to stay in control with my eating and workouts. For me, I just decide to do it. It's hard to make the decision, but once I make it, I feel better. I do plan out my meals and workouts in advance, that helps, too.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #7  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

It is so much easier to eat exactly the way we want to when alone, enter feeding a family or spouse and all kinds of things can become harder. Dealing with their food choices, dealing with having to explain or share what you are doing, it can feel defensive sometimes. especially if the feedback is less than supportive.

My husband returned recently from a long road trip and I immediately had to deal with all his snacks, his large portion sizes (meaning I had to cook far more food that I was cooking for myself) and I felt overwhelmed at times. You have a lot going on right now and I bet once you are moved in and things settle down, you can tell him of your goals and your needs for support. We can never control how others eat or what they eat, so be aware that he may not go along with your food needs and choose to eat what he likes. Mine will eat fast food now and then and for me, smelling it can be so hard, even though I don't care for the stuff.

Over time, we see eye to eye over most of the foods/eating/weight issues and that really helps me stay on my plan and working on my goals. Hope the best for you to reach yours!
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
If you HAVE to buy fast food, make it a grilled chicken salad, or a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad. How about Wendy's baked potato w/chili? Or, run into the grocery store for a rotisserie chicken and salad from the salad bar - but buy a light dressing.
Yes on both of these. As long as you make the right choices when you're eating fast food, it's okay as a temporary measure during a hectic time. There are a lot of choices at the different fast food restaurants - just make sure you know what they are so you're prepared in case you end up at one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
As for exercising, can you allow yourself to relax about it until you've cleaned the apartment and moved in? Stressing about it is just going to hurt you more (cortisol and all that stuff.) Besides, with all the moving and cleaning you'll be using lots of muscles you don't hit on the elliptical, and you'll still be exercising!
Yes on this. I also want to add that while it's good to do things as a couple, it also can sometimes make things harder. If your husband decides he doesn't want to work out one day, don't let that be an excuse for you not to work out. The same goes for food - if your husband doesn't like vegetables, it doesn't mean you shouldn't make and have them for yourself!

I'm just thinking back to my ex-husband's futile attempts at losing. It never deterred me while I was losing my baby weight. As a matter of fact, I would often make meals that he liked - easy things like beef stew baked with a biscuit crust, pot pie, shepherd's pie (yes, he loved casseroles) and have them on hand so that he could eat what he wanted and I could as well. It doesn't work for everyone, but I really like cooking, so it didn't bother me. I would even do things like mix half ground beef and half tiny chopped mushrooms into certain foods and he never noticed.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #9  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I say have a heart-to-heart about healthy eating too. My hubby caught on to health eating along the way and it's been great! My health was in a serious state and one day I was just honest with him about what my future was being obese and that getting to a healthy weight is my only hope for keeping health problems away.

He was never unsupportive at all but it does help out when you don't have to make special meals for yourself and different meals for your family. We cook and eat healthfully all of the time now and we really enjoy eating this way! I am the only one with real amounts of body fat to lose so I am the only one who watches calories.

Try to get him on board. You never know....My hubby even weighs food and exercises now!

Last edited by 4star; 04-12-2011 at 11:54 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote