3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   weight gain post surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/227338-weight-gain-post-surgery.html)

Optical Goddess 03-05-2011 09:15 PM

weight gain post surgery

Hey,

I donated my kidney to my husband on 1.31.11. I was off of work for 4 weeks and recently returned to work...
Previous to surgery I was doing weight watchers, and had lost about 20 lbs.
In the month after surgery I've gained it back and then some.

At the dr's office I weighed in at 201 lbs. At 5'7" that makes me obese.
Why?
My MIL was staying with us and 'forbade' me from counting, reasoning that I needed to concentrate on healing and taking more calories in to do so.

(She was kind of right, I do tend to get hung up and a little obsessive w/ counting points).
She bought us cookies, cakes, brownies... and cooked us meals we haven't had in over a year due to my husband's dietary restrictions.

So, I have a week until I can exercise unrestricted. I have a lot of work to do. Right now I'm preparing menus and figuring points out...

My question(s)?
Has anyone else gained weight post surgery?

I've never had surgery before, and totally under estimated how it'd effect me.

Thanks for readin/listening to me vent, any perspectives on this would be great :)

fitkristi 03-05-2011 09:19 PM

I haven't gained weight specifically since surgery (unless you count my csections!) but what a wonderful, selfless gift to your husband! Is he recovering well?

Optical Goddess 03-05-2011 10:14 PM

He's doing better every day. He had been sick for years and we didn't know it. He wasn't very sick until Jan 10, had heart surgery in August, and then the kidney surgery in Jan 11....looking back at this paragraph, I can see why I'd be under stress.

He still needs to heal like I Do, but he felt so much worse before this, I feel worse after this.

I'm disapointed that I went back to my bingeing ways. I gained 20 lbs in 4 weeks...

I'm slowly moving out of the pity party phase and moving into seeing this excess weight as a motivator.
I wish I could work out hard, but I can't. I have lost so much strength from this...
It's wrecked me. I'd do it agqain in a heart beat, but it's wrecked me.

Optical Goddess 03-05-2011 10:33 PM

wow, your weight loss is inspiring! Good work!

4star 03-06-2011 09:46 AM

Well they say you can get a the blues after after kidney donation, much like childbirth. It's a happy time but there is still physical strain and expectations/limitations to manage. A bout of blues is common after surgery too. I did gain some weight with all of my surgeries. It's what happens when an otherwise active person is forced to stay at rest. You may also be retaining water. Are you through your post-op appts? Have you been released from your doctor's supervision? I would talk to them about feeling "wrecked". You might have become deficient in something with all your body has been through.

I am going to be very honest here. You have done a wonderful thing for him but you made a huge sacrifice of yourself. PLEASE, spend time feeling bad about the few pounds you've gained. It will go away when you're back on your feet. It's more important right now that your recovery doesn't suffer. You're barely a month out from a major surgical procedure. Your body will take some time to adjust.

racrane 03-06-2011 11:53 AM

Wow, what a wonderful thing to do for your husband!

As for me, yes I did gain 20 lbs 3 years ago from ankle surgery. I was obviously laying in bed all day, my grandma cooked me homemade, rich meals and I binged, too. So yes, it's understandable. I did get back on track, though, after a month of wallowing in self-pity (not that you're doing it but I definitely was). So hang in there!

Optical Goddess 03-06-2011 02:42 PM

@ 4star: I'm done with my post op visits but do see a therapist. I started seeing her before I got tested to donate. She's helping. I remember reading about donation post partum depression, I just didn't put two and two together until now.
My husband has always been a healthier eater, so he's helping me come up with menus and snack ideas.
My use of hte word 'wrecked' was probably not the best choice, but I haven't come up wiht a better word.
@racrane I'm just ended my pity party recently. No \amount of 'why me' is going to get rid of htis weight.
One thing that's a blessing in all of this is being that i need to take it slow, I will be able to develop better habits over the long term.

4star 03-07-2011 12:52 PM

Well if you keep feeling run down make sure you haven't become anemic or deficient in any way b/c surgeries really take it out of you. Just give yourself some time. That really is a big hit for your body to take.

fattymcfatty 03-07-2011 01:00 PM

I'd just ease back into making better food choices slowly. Maybe a transition week where you eat at maintenance points, then lower it the following week? Don't "shock" your system more than surgery has already done. I also think once you go completely back on plan it might be easier for you to lose those pounds you gained with surgery/recovery.