Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 09:19 AM   #1  

Lightbulb Introducing Myself

Greetings:

I've looked at this site before and always known I would join Someday. But reading through a few of the posts on this section made it clear that today's the day. I almost titled this message, "Honey, I'm Home."

I have binge eating disorder. I am about 50 pounds overweight which is just insane because I have asthma (fortunately mild and manageable, but asthma nonetheless). My husband is pressing me to lose weight, and I love/hate him for it. It's really hard because I feel absolutely incapable of sticking to any diet. It feels like he's pressing me to do something that's absolutely impossible, when rationally, I know it isn't.

I belong to a health plan, and I think I am going to take his suggestion to see what it can do for me. They might have classes, or a group, or something. And there's short-term psychotherapy which might be a consideration.

What's happening for me now is that the problem is showing up in the clear light of day. I'm realizing it's a disorder, but am not sure how to proceed except that I know I need more input of some kind. I'm sure not getting over it by myself.

The posts here really describe what it's like for me. Hope I can contribute eventually. I sure don't have much insight now.

Blessings, Cathryn
Old 12-02-2002, 02:07 AM   #2  
Fighting the Krispy Kreme

Cathryn:
I'm glad you're here. Like you, I browsed this site a lot before joining but since then I have found nothing but support here. I hope that you stick around.

Just one note: don't lose weight for your husband. It'll never work. When you do lose weight, you have to do it for yourself. Anyone here will tell you the exact same thing, I think.

Meribeth
Old 12-02-2002, 09:16 AM   #3  

Thanks for the warm welcome. No, I'm not losing weight for him. Truth is, I'm tired of hefting 50 pounds around that I don't need to, and more keenly, tired of failing at weight loss and having this problem in my life.

I have come to the uncomfortable realization that exercise which I don't like very much at all is going to be the key for me (sigh).

Blessings, Cathryn
Old 12-04-2002, 08:11 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7

Hello Cathryn,
Welcome! I check into this board every now and then to see what's going on. I'm sure everyone here can relate to your struggles. It's a good idea to try different types of treatment and see what works for you. Therapy did help me, I can tell you that. It still is helping actually. I can say the biggest thing I'm learning is patience w/ myself and my food issues. Nothing happens overnight (even gaining weight) so I literally have to take it a day at time. I know its sounds like recycled info but when I'm actually living it, I understand the importance of it.
Start small w/ exercise and things and you'll be surprised how fast it spreads. It doesn't matter how small, everything counts! 2 situps is still 2 more than ya did yesterday. Don't overwhelm yourself with weight and numbers at first either. Everything in due time.
The first step really is bringing out into the light. So you're on your way and you can do it!
I'm here anytime you want to talk. Good luck to you!

ps- Hi to (Not)JustaPrettyFace too!
Closed Thread