Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Has anyone seen a psychiatrist for binge eating disorder?

Hi everyone. I have dealt with binge eating for as long as I can remember. I'm 25 now and am finally thinking I should go see a psychiatrist who possibly specializes in this. My question is: have any of you actually gone to a psychiatrist for binging or overeating? Can you tell me how the intial visit went, and what their options for treating you were?

Thank you.
Jpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I spent time in counseling (not a Psychiatrist) in the 70's before BED even had a name. It was not helpful to me at all. Hopefully you can get a more recent perspective.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #3  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

I've never been for an ED but I have been to therapy. The initial visit involved me taking a quiz on the computer which asked me a variety of things like have I ever been raped, do i hear voices, have i ever seen a dead body, do i feel hopeless, do i throw up after eating etc etc. It was mostly just something to give the therapist an idea of what my problems were.

after I completed that I was taken back to a psychologist who had looked through my answers to the quiz thing and asked for me to give details about certain ones. For instance I answered I drank alcohol 4-5 times a week and so she asked about how much i drink when i drink, how drunk did i get, what time of day, was i alone etc etc. They also asked why I came to therapy, what problems I have been having. Asked about family history and set up another meeting. The first one was mostly her getting the information she needed.

Although I did stop therapy after only a couple sessions it did help because I realized I needed to make an effort and do the things that make me feel better whether I wanted to or not. It pointed me in the right direction for helping myself.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

i have been in therapy for my ED for a long time. In 1998 it was for about 6 months. Then I went back to the same lady in 2005 and have been going nearly every month ever since...and feel like I still benefit from seeing her... My initial visit was similar to pink's ... and i think she deals with other issues more than my binging specifically which is nice actually, she is getting to the root of my problems instead of just dealing with the food...

i hope you can find someone you can relate to and trust... that might not be the first person you see! be picky... make sure you feel comfortable...Good Luck!
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote