How to get binge eating under control?

• Here is my problem. I try to restrict myself, I binge. I don't restrict myself, I binge. How can I start getting this under control? I feel lost lately. I keep bouncing around the 200's because my eating isn't consistent enough! I go a week or so just fine, then its 3 days of eating out, and stuffing my face...I don't want to live like this anymore, but everything I have tried leads to the same result. Anyone offer help, of even where to start? Please?
  • First...

Second, I am glad this site exists. I have delt with my BED for years with no one to turn to. I wanted a different life for me and I made the hard choices to change. I say hard, because it isnt easy. I still have bad days with my BED, but usually I can snap out of it before the entire package of junk is gone. I do have a wonderful husband in my life now who keeps me accountable. He is the only person I have ever told about my secret and I'm glad I did...even though he does call me out if I go too far with the food, but I'd rather be embarrassed then feel horrible and down on myself for eating too much.

You're the only one who can get control of your BED. Have you thought about going to support groups? OA's website can help you find a local meeting so you can have a support to overcome the habit/addition to binge. You can start by not putting yourself in situations where you will or can binge. You should also have a distraction for yourself when you feel the urge coming on to binge. Get yourself out of that situation. Play some music to motivate you or put your gym shoes on and go for a walk, or you can open a journal and write.

Best Wishes!
  • I have that problem as well. Its like I need to find the exact right amount to eat or I'll binge. Eating only food I plan on eating helps me a lot. And if I feel like eating the biggest things I turn to is water and gum. I drink a lot of water (and sometimes hot tea) and sometimes chew so much gum in a day that my mouth is really sore when I go to bed.
  • Hi everyone,
    Well, I totally understand or should I say OVERstand the BED or BP (binge/purge) disorder. I'm still not there as far as recovery, but I try to take it one day at a time.
    Right now I'm trying to make ten day goal of not binging, so you can join with me on that if you'd like. After ten days, I'm going to treat myself with a non-food reward.
    Here's the ticker

So, some of the ways I successfully (8/10) times control a binge are the following:
    1. Talk to someone about the urge. This is great if you have someone you know and trust. People want you to be happy and healthy. A lot of times I and one of the HALT..Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired (I might also add bored) and other people can help you realize it and talk it out with you.
    2. I also journal what I'm feeling if I don't want to talk, or have nobody around to talk to. This gives me an outlet for my emotions, and takes up time. Which takes me to ..
    3. Wait 20 minutes! One of the best I've found is to look at the clock and wait 20 minutes. The urge wit usually pass within that time. During that time I get away from the temptation. I'll take a walk, play with my cat, take a hot bath, journal, dance to three songs..etc..this is one of the best things for me to stop a binge.
    4. Make a pro/con list. Reasons why it's better not to binge vrs. the reason why you want to binge. Really, the guilt I feel after a binge vrs. the feeling of making it one day without a binge is reason enough for me!
    5. Look at yourself in the mirror and say, out loud, ten things you like about yourself. Positive self-esteem is a powerful tool, even if you have to fake it at first!!
    6. Have a lot of healthy foods around I keep a big bag a baby carrots on hand. I can snack on these without feeling too bad. I grab a handful and walk away from the temptation of more food. I may even walk and eat these..be careful not to choke!!

Finally, realize you are a beautiful and special person no matte what you eat. Take time to be kind to yourself and forgive yourself if you're not perfect with your eating each day.

Ten days, I can do it!!

One for every five pounds..One more pound to thirty actually, but I have a skeleton for that anyhow!
  • Quote: I have that problem as well. Its like I need to find the exact right amount to eat or I'll binge. Eating only food I plan on eating helps me a lot. And if I feel like eating the biggest things I turn to is water and gum. I drink a lot of water (and sometimes hot tea) and sometimes chew so much gum in a day that my mouth is really sore when I go to bed.
    I do this too! Lots of water or hot teas. Yogi has an appetite suppressent tea, I believe. Their other teas are good and work toward their purpose from what I've seen. I also will chew gum if I'm starting to get a craving.

I use to have a problem binging....now I have a whole different mentality about food. I haven't binged in months.
  • Quote: Here is my problem. I try to restrict myself, I binge. I don't restrict myself, I binge. How can I start getting this under control? I feel lost lately. I keep bouncing around the 200's because my eating isn't consistent enough! I go a week or so just fine, then its 3 days of eating out, and stuffing my face...I don't want to live like this anymore, but everything I have tried leads to the same result. Anyone offer help, of even where to start? Please?
    Quote: I binge when I crave. I've had horrible cravings for years and years. And my cravings don't pass. I will think about them for hours, even days, until I give in. The only time I don't have cravings is when I'm eating low carb and high fat. I eat a lot of foods that people consider decadent and "not allowed", and i'm satisfied on them (not to mention, I'm fully convinced they're actually healthy and appropriate foods, and low fat/processed/filler-filled foods in the conventional wisdom diets are not). There are many times I still overeat or eat when I'm not hungry just out of habit, but not having cravings for sugary, carby, unhealthy foods is a miracle for me.
    ^
    The 2 posts above describe me perfectly! Watching my carbs really helps with the binges if I stick to it (protein/veggies) but one bite of something carby and it leads to trouble. Not all the time but more often then I'd like. For some reason Dreamfield pasta doesn't cause cravings for me I can eat a serving and be okay (I like to put roasted red pepper alfredo sauce on it) anyway.

I have been fighting with it for so long (whether to go back to low/moderate carb eating). It's like the thought of never being able to eat something carby is depressing and that leads to binging.

I get scared that it is a never ending cycle, I'm just glad to know I'm not alone but hope we all can find a way to stop it!!