Well, I totally understand or should I say OVERstand the BED or BP (binge/purge) disorder. I'm still not there as far as recovery, but I try to take it one day at a time.
Right now I'm trying to make ten day goal of not binging, so you can join with me on that if you'd like. After ten days, I'm going to treat myself with a non-food reward.
Here's the ticker
So, some of the ways I successfully (8/10) times control a binge are the following:
1. Talk to someone about the urge. This is great if you have someone you know and trust. People want you to be happy and healthy. A lot of times I and one of the HALT..Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired (I might also add bored) and other people can help you realize it and talk it out with you.
2. I also journal what I'm feeling if I don't want to talk, or have nobody around to talk to. This gives me an outlet for my emotions, and takes up time. Which takes me to ..
3. Wait 20 minutes! One of the best I've found is to look at the clock and wait 20 minutes. The urge wit usually pass within that time. During that time I get away from the temptation. I'll take a walk, play with my cat, take a hot bath, journal, dance to three songs..etc..this is one of the best things for me to stop a binge.
4. Make a pro/con list. Reasons why it's better not to binge vrs. the reason why you want to binge. Really, the guilt I feel after a binge vrs. the feeling of making it one day without a binge is reason enough for me!
5. Look at yourself in the mirror and say, out loud, ten things you like about yourself. Positive self-esteem is a powerful tool, even if you have to fake it at first!!
6. Have a lot of healthy foods around I keep a big bag a baby carrots on hand. I can snack on these without feeling too bad. I grab a handful and walk away from the temptation of more food. I may even walk and eat these..be careful not to choke!!
Finally, realize you are a beautiful and special person no matte what you eat. Take time to be kind to yourself and forgive yourself if you're not perfect with your eating each day.
Ten days, I can do it!!
One for every five pounds..One more pound to thirty actually, but I have a skeleton for that anyhow!