Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #16  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

^And I'm an ex-smoker too.

No cigarettes since May 14, 2007.
No alcohol since April 4, 2008.

And today I *finally* made it through one day abstinent from overeating, February 22, 2010. I did have a part of a sweet roll in the afternoon, but that was due to low blood sugar.

That's three different recovery dates to remember. I'm wondering if I should consolidate all of them into one, the most recent one, since this is addiction's last hold on me.

And thank you, chicks (and the occasional rooster who might venture in here), for supporting my recovery.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 02-23-2010 at 12:25 AM.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I get so annoyed when people suggest it's not self-control unless you surround yourself with your problem substance and "tough it up."

It's alot easier to avoid problem substances whether it be junk food and other trigger foods, alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, gambling, shopping, sex, and any other "vice," by removing temptations than by surrounding yourself with it.

No one (in their right mind) would suggest to a cocaine addict that they hadn't really mastered their problem unless they moved into a crack-house and still could say no every day. Or suggest that an alcoholic become a bartender (though I've known a few alcoholic bartenders who did manage successful recovery doing so, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone).

In the scientific research, you find repeatedly that in experiments studying self-control (no matter what area of self-control you're talking about), people with the most self-control are those who find strategies to remove or distract themselves from the temptation. They don't surround themselves with more of it.

If you choose not to buy and bring your temptation home, that IS using willpower and it's just as much willpower as filling your home with it and choosing not to indulge.

It's not even "addiction" or impulse-control related. I trust my husband to be faithful. He does not have a problem doing so, I know he has excellent self-control in that area, but I still don't ask him exercise that self-control by sending him on naked sleepovers with attractive women. Self-control more often than not is a matter of avoiding temptation, not seeking out temptation just to prove you have self-control (that's not self-control, that's stupidity).

Last edited by kaplods; 02-23-2010 at 12:52 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #18  
Mrs. Brady

***STANDS AND APPLAUDS***

Thank you, my wise sister in recovery, and good night everyone. God bless.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #19  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Lizzie,

Thank you for posting a contrasting viewpoint in this conversation! I like to be able to hear multiple points of view and come up with my own conclusions. I appreciate your opinion.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #20  
Mrs. Brady

^^And I was much too hard on Lizzie, for which I must apologize.

I'm very sorry, Lizzie. We may disagree, but you meant well, and I overreacted to a threat that wasn't there.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 02-23-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #21  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I get so annoyed when people suggest it's not self-control unless you surround yourself with your problem substance and "tough it up."...

...not seeking out temptation just to prove you have self-control (that's not self-control, that's stupidity).
I hope that Mrs. Brady knows that I was NOT insinuating that she surround herself with alcohol and cigarettes because I seem, (so far) to be able to handle being around them without a relapse. The point I was making is that food, (my first true love), and my first addiction, is not one I feel in control around. Although the others don't seem to be a problem, (so far), having ice cream, (cookies, cake, donuts, CHEESE CAKE etc.) ARE A PROBLEM.

I can however, say with all certainty, that during the weight loss portion of my healthy life style, you could have set me in the middle of the worlds largest buffet and I would have not binged...but because I was truly motivated to become a healthy weight. NOW, that I am a normal size 6...nah, not so easy. DOn't ask me why, I don't have an answer.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-23-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #22  
Mrs. Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I can however, say with all certainty, that during the weight loss portion of my healthy life style, you could have set me in the middle of the worlds largest buffet and I would have not binged...but because I was truly motivated to become a healthy weight. NOW, that I am a normal size 6...nah, not so easy. DOn't ask me why, I don't have an answer.
Because some part of you is saying you've "earned" the indulgence after working so hard? Just a guess.

(And I knew what you meant. Took no offense. )
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 200/197/140

Height: 5'4

I'm with ya. My husband is making me nuts with the junk he brings home. He is thin but I am sure not very healthy... yesterday he brought home an 8 pack of candy and kept offering me some. Finally I yelled at him after saying no several times. I know I can't expect him to give up the foods he likes- I have to resist temptation, but he does not need to be offering me the stuff.

I think he got the picture.
maisiedotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #24  
Mrs. Brady

Last night hubby offered to fix me a breakfast burrito. He was about to have one for himself, so it was common courtesy, I understand that much. I was about to go to bed, though, and turned it down. He then offered to put mine aside for breakfast this morning. Now, that was downright thoughtful, so I said thank you. This morning I woke up to his pre-made breakfast. I figured I could just peel the tortilla off and eat the contents.

But he didn't tell me he'd used his leftover fried potatoes from the previous breakfast, inside the mixture. Potatoes AND a tortilla--and he knows I'm doing low carb. Did he forget those things are carby? Maybe.

Anyway, I just set the potatoes aside too, and ate what I could eat. It *was* nice of him to have breakfast already made for me, since I have to get up pretty early in the morning, and he works second shift. I'll just concentrate on what he does that's considerate, and gently remind him when it isn't.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #25  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

this is so familiar! i do so much better on my weightloss if foods i tend to overeat aren't around. my boyfriend is ALWAYS offering to bring me fries from mcdonalds, icecream, you name it (because he's always picking up food). it's so hard to turn down!
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote