Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Default I think I have a problem

I've noticed for the past two months, since I've been keeping an online diary that I binge every few weeks. Feeling physically tired and having to study seems to bring it on. Today it was a big box of Lindor chocolate and a big sized bag of Doritos. I haven't had Doritos since summer... I don't even like the way Doritos taste and I'm not a big chocolate person! (though, I've been eating a piece of chocolate everyday for the past week which is incredibly unusual for me.) I've been craving them. I freaked out about all the calories I ate and took laxatives. I'm sure it'll only make things worse. I'm really disappointed in myself. Why does this happen when I'm so close to goal??

Last edited by Taurie; 02-09-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I'm sitting here wondering the same thing. I ate 5 fruit by the foot's and 6 oreos and 3 slim jims last night...the day after I discover I've lost 30 pounds. It makes no sense. I have no self control

But we all slip up. I doubt any one us will go the rest of our lives without a binge or at least the temptation to binge anyway...I'm sorry hon, we'll both do better for the rest of the day!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

I dont know if this helps or not... I have been seeing a therapist for several years and she explained it to me like this "everyone looses control - of their temper, their alcohol consumption, their.... you name it, For them, it is acceptable because those are 'normal' things to loose control over... for us, loosing control of our food is 'unusual' and we beat ourselves up over it"

you lost control. that was yesterday. this is today...

you can give yourself a big pat on the back and be proud of posting your binge on here... it means you recongize that it happened and are looking for help... that is huge!

try to make this day 1 ...and earn it!
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #4  

Why do you have these things in the house? A craving lasts about 15 minutes. Get busy doing something else and you will probably forget about it. Have alternatives, such as SF chocolate pudding or 100-calorie packets of pretzels, ready. Taking laxitives because you think you ate too much can lead to bulumia.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #5  

The quote from the therapist makes since to me. I wish I was one of those people that loses control over exercise. lol.

I ended up going for a long swim and had soup for dinner despite already being way over my caloric limit. I told my boyfriend about my binge. He brought the chocolate into our flat which was fine for a long time only eating a piece in the evenings, but I went out to the store for the Doritos. I had been thinking about them from last night. However, when I went to the store for them I also made sure I bought fruit... hoping it would deter me. If the grocery store carried the small bag of Doritos I would have been much better off. After today we won't be keeping chocolate in our home any more.

But the Doritos really get me. I don't understand why I crave them when they always give me that yucky dehydrated feeling afterwards that lasts for a couple days. I honestly think I'm allergic to them.

ThicknPretty - I wonder what triggers it when we've made a bit of progress? How did you stop at 6 oreos? I use to love those things. I never buy them because I know what would happen; they would turn into my Doritos dilemma.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

i am glad to hear you ate soup for dinner even though you were 'over' your calories for the day - skipping a meal to make up for earlier 'oops' is not okay... good for you!!!

one thing i have kinda figured out - if i want a treat - i buy it and eat it shortly after buying it - so i buy them at stores that sell single servings - like a corner store - instead of a grocery store (where they tend to only sell family sized stuff) or bulk stores were i always end up buying more than i want....

good for you!!! learn from today and improve tomorrow!
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

Something that severely affects my hunger throughout the day and my food choices is sleep (or lack thereof). I struggle with insomnia (night waking not trouble falling asleep). If I don't get enough sleep I crave sugary crappy carbs all day and the more I allow my self to have, the more I want them and lose all feelings of control and accomplishment. When I sleep and start my day with something other than what I am craving such as a healthy piece of fruit and yogurt...maybe whole wheat toast...I don't crave the crap as much. Just realize that we are human and we all binge at some point or another. unless you are victoria beckham, we will never have it down perfect. The more you eat the foods the earth provides naturally, the better you feel....at least that is my belief. but man, sometimes peanut buttery chocolately carby goodness kicks my butt. indulge but be accountable i guess...this helps immensely. don't tune out when you binge...if you know that you have to write it down and may regret it, you may have less, or at least realize the sacrifice you are making.
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #8  

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I'll keep them in mind. It's funny because I never considered myself a binge eater... but that's like a cigarette smoker that doesn't consider herself a cigarette smoker (I use to do that too).

General tiredness is definitely a factor. I'm really stressed about my exams coming up and even though I make sure I book myself in for 10 hours of sleep/rest a night during this stressful time studying and stress just take it out of me.

Today I made sure I got some morning exercise, oatmeal for breakfast and a vegpot for lunch. I'm drinking lots of tea and water and have fruit on hand to snack on. Oh... I just reminded myself to take my vitamins. And, I have booked myself in for a massage later, my shoulder is killing me... all stress related.

I'm not Victoria Beckahm, but a while ago I did have a mantra that I repeated, 'I'm in control of what I eat'. It worked while I was doing it over a month ago, but I guess I have to keep repeating it. Especially now when I'm vulnerable.