Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'6

Default confusing "not stuffed" with "hungry"

For years I always ate so much that I never gave myself a chance to feel hungry. Now that I'm dieting, I'm not feeling stuffed like I used to feel after every meal, but I did eat enough, so it's almost like my body is confusing the "not stuffed" feeling with hunger...does that make sense? Can anyone relate?
KathyinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Yes I used to eat to the point of being stuffed at every meal, so when I cut back on my portions it was weird at first. You get used to the feeling. Now if i do happen to stuff myself it's a sickly awful feeling. I find that a light satisfied feeling is many many times better that stuffed can't eat another bite feeling.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #3  

I can relate, also. When I eat a healthy portioned meal, afterwards, I feel an almost "uneasy" feeling. I think part of it is that when I eat healthy portions it is foreign to me because I am so used to stuffing myself.

I think for me stopping myself at a healthy portion is doing something different (breaking a negative habit) and that can make me feel "uneasy". I think, for me, the stuffed feeling is "known". I think my mind and body, in a way, is so programmed to WAIT for the stuffed feeling that is where the hungry comes into play.

I hope this makes some sense....

Bonnie
bonnie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Bonnie, that definitely makes sense! I'm glad I'm not alone.....it's so weird. This whole thing is so weird. I'm just glad I have the chance to fix it.
KathyinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I totally feel the same way, sometimes it just doesn't feel right to be satisfied and not stuffed.

I find that drinking a lot of water with a meal helps create the illusion, without the actual calories--maybe it's wrong to create it like that, I should just not do it, but I figure water is good, and that full feeling is very comforting to me.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #6  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I can totally relate, especially after stuffing myself at Christmas

The bad thing is that at the moment my brain is always saying I'm hungry, when actually it's just confused. I'm hoping after a few weeks of healthy eating and exercise my body will adapt and get used to eating these smaller portions and me not filling my face!
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yes. I had this habit of, if I'm not actually stuffed/uncomfortably full, then without even thinking I'm rummaging for food. I find i helps to just notice it consciously, and decide to wait until I'm hungry. It's surprising how strong that habit is and how it can be hard to resist - I mean, I'm not even hungry, how can it be so hard to just not eat? But it is sometimes.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/184/130ish - 33 y.o.

Height: 5'2"

i've been doing good for the past few weeks and this night went a little overboard. overeating has always been my downfall. but i am learning.. albeit slowly, tonight i overate and now i feel sickly uncomfortable.. just a gross bloated feeling that i haven't had for a while. it definitely reinforced making good choices and *not* having to feel that way. really hard to break being that nearly everytime i ate for a few years i acheived that stuffed feeling. thankfully that positive reinforcement of not feeling gross when i eat reasonably - is easy to acheive, just a hard change to make after doing it the wrong way for so long.
jlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/300/180

I can definitely relate, and I was actually thinking about this today. It's almost like there's 2 levels for me--"hungry" and "stuffed".
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I always could eat more than a man, I can put my father and husband to shame on cleaning my plate so eating the right amount is very hard for me. I enjoy...so to speak...feeling stuffed after eating. If I do not have that stuffed feeling I want to go back for 2nds so I also try and drink water during my meal and as soon as I am done eating I gulp a bit more just to make sure. It does seem to help me not eat as much...also chewing gum after dinner helps keep me from munching.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

Growing up, we didn't have a lot. OK - many times we had next to nothing. I always cleaned my plate, or someone cleaned it for me. Actually, frequently if I wasn't eating fast enough, someone cleaned my plate for me before I'd finished.

It was a huge revelation to me when now-hubs pointed out to me that, during a period of stress, I'd stockpiled more food in our freezer than we two could eat - and we had to throw it away, eventually. I was so ashamed to be the witless cause of so much waste, I had to do some hard thinking about how growing up had affected my food issues. I used to horde food. I used to always finish my plate. I used to barely chew.

I threw sweet potatoes away last night because I was full, and hubs doesn't eat them, and they were already "past expiration date". I stared at them for a good 30 minutes before pitching them.
I used to always eat to the point of bursting. Hubs actually thinks it's an amazing trick, how much my brother and I can eat in one sitting. Years into our relationship, I finally explained to him that brother and I learned to eat like that because as children, I don't think we were ever positive we'd get a "next meal" that day, and if there was food, safest place for it was in your stomach.

Maybe you share some of these issues? I'm sorry, I'm not offering a solution. It's taken a few years to realize why I need to horde food, and why I can and too frequently do eat past the point of fullness. And after a few years to mull it over, I can throw away my last 3 bites of sweet potato.
It was an odd feeling. Not good, but not quite panic, either.
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #12  

I completely understand. I'm feeling that way at the moment. I had a nice sized salad and one of those 330 calorie pasta meals and I'm feeling like I should go upstairs and get more food. I'm fighting it though.

After my meal I was satisfied. I knew I had eaten enough. But like you said, so used to being stuffed I can't even compute what it feels like to eat good portions.
LeRollingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralyn View Post
I always could eat more than a man, I can put my father and husband to shame on cleaning my plate so eating the right amount is very hard for me. I enjoy...so to speak...feeling stuffed after eating. If I do not have that stuffed feeling I want to go back for 2nds so I also try and drink water during my meal and as soon as I am done eating I gulp a bit more just to make sure. It does seem to help me not eat as much...also chewing gum after dinner helps keep me from munching.
Oh yes, the gum thing works for sure. I do this. When I feel like snacking but I know I'm not hungry the sweetness from the gum satisfies me until I really AM hungry.

LeRollingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #14  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I know how you feel. I eat through out the day and have fruits and veggies for snacks but I ALWAYS feel hungry. I'm so used to stuffing my face with anything and everything and eatting a lot that now that i've made my portions smaller I just always feel hungry and wonder if it will ever stop.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #15  
Low carber :)

S/C/G: 223/212/size 6

Height: 64 inches

I've been adjusting to that myself. I was ravenous before dinner and had a 150 cal protein shake. For dinner a had a burger patty in a LC wrap with lots of lettuce and brussel sprouts on the side. I was still really hungry I thought. I decided I'd wait 30 min and eat if I was still hungry. It went away and I was a ok until about 9pm when I had a snack.

I think my strategy is going to have a portion then wait the 30 min and see.
thinnerbyjuly is offline   Reply With Quote