Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

Unhappy I can't stop McD's!!

I've always been a fast food breakfast lover, (one of my downfalls) and for a while I've been in control of it. But for some reason in the last week I've been not doing well.

For the last three days, I've bought a sausage burrito or an egg mcmuffin in the mornings. I don't get the hash browns, and it's just the burrito or mcmuffin (around 300 cal.) so it's not the worst thing, and I manage to arrange the rest of my eating day so I don't go over points or calories, but I need to stop eating it at all!

I tell myself all the stuff about the ton of fat in them, and that it's just not good for you food, but it's like my brain turns off until I've eaten.

Does anyone have any tips or stratigies for getting past this addiction? Or is it just that? An addiction I need to get over?

Help, please!!!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Before:201 Now:178 Goal: 150

Height: 5'1

I don't agree that you need to stop eating it at all. It sounds to me like you are being very responsible about it and adjusting your day around it, so what's the big deal? I agree that they are too high in fat and sodium for you to be eating daily, but if being in control of a food you like is going to act as incentive for you to do well all week, why not have it once a week or once every two weeks?

Maybe if you have a perfect week calorically, allow yourself to have it (only if you still fit it in, there's no sense in a food reward that will make you go off track) at the end of the week (or every two weeks, as I said above).

As long as you're fitting it in and still losing, it can't hurt! I find that when I eat low fat and healthy, having a 'splurge' that isn't really a splurge because it's counted calorie wise can jump start your system.

I think you should actually be proud that you've been able to adjust your calories to do it- this is what it's all about, being able to live in the real world, and still be in control, and that's what you're doing.
VarsityQuidditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #3  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Why don't you start by preparing the equivalent at home? An egg mcmuffin is just eggs, cheese, and an english muffin, after all. Or you can buy them pre-made and microwave. Then you can "taper off" to turkey bacon / turkey sausage, and lower-calorie (wheat?) bread and low-fat cheese... and generally make better choices that don't involve driving to McD's and starting your day with unhealthy, artificial foods?

After all, this isn't just about weight loss... it's also about eating things that are good for your body. Food high in saturated fats, cholesterol, and sodium are bad for your heart and arteries whether or not they affect your waistline. Take it from someone who has been there
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

You can make a really good egg mcmuffin with cheese at home and it costs less..whole grain english muffin (you won't taste the difference), egg, 2% cheese slice (I use half of a slice w/no hormones added), and it's tasty. Oh, and toast the muffin just before you put it all together and the cheese will get melty and it tastes more like the real thing. You could add a bit of low fat mayo or something but I find it's a waste as it tastes good without it. Even my picky kids will eat it!

You can buy hashbrown patties and cook them in the skillet with olive oil spray instead of oil and save calories as well. If you are craving the drink with it, try one of the calorie and sugar free sodas or go with 100% pure OJ.

You can even make the sandwiches in bulk, freeze them, then just nuke them on your way out the door...eat in the car to feel like it's McDs i am a fast food junkie as well but I have learned if I can just get through the first week or so then I start forgetting to think about wanting it.

Last edited by Purplefirefly; 12-16-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #5  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

I would agree with lack and purple - you don't have to stop eating those things but making the equivilent would cut out a lot of fat and calories. I make my own version of a mcmuffin with a whole wheat english muffin, 1 egg, chicken bacon and light chedder cheese and it is super yummy!

I also do my own version of a breakfast burrito using a whole wheat tortilla, then I scramble 1 egg, chopped red and greens peppers, onions, sliced chicken bacon and light chedder cheese. I roll it all up in the tortilla and voila breakfast burrito with a lot less fat and calories.

I also do the same thing but with feta and spinach or tomato and light chedder cheese. Yum-o!

I hope thie helps!
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm a former fast food addict. For me Wendy's was a slippery slope. One time would quickly become every day... or twice a day! I found that I was not capable of just cutting back. I had to STOP. So I challenged myself to 1 month, fast food free. Week 1 was really hard, 2 was a little better, and by week 3 my fast food cravings mostly stopped. Going into this challenge, I was scared that as soon as I reached my last day I was going to fall face first into a vat of Wendy's goodness. But at the end of the month, I was fine. I didn't really want Wendy's (or Krystal, Zaxbys, any of my other weaknesses).

I can't say I never craved fast food again. But it's pretty rare now. I've been to Wendy's maybe 3 times in the last 6 months (2 of those times I got a kids meal). Not everyone has to eliminate things completely from their diet. Some do better allowing occassional treats. But for me, I HAD to go cold turkey to break the habit.

If you want to do this and need help join one of the monthly challenges or the every day for 21 days challenge. It will help keep you accountable and give you some support.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 12-16-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

You can also make frozen burritos that you can heat in the microwave. Which is exactly what McDonalds does. They nuke them in the microwave and then they sit in a heating container for hours. If you google breakfast burritos The Simple Dollar has a good tutorial for assembling them. (It won't let me post links)

Have you ever seen Supersize Me? :P I personally can't eat McDonalds anymore. It makes me feel sick immediately afterwards and then you've got the toiliet issues. I think it's probably the fat in it.

Whoever said it's addictive is totally right on. I used to eat it at least a couple times a week, but once I stopped I stopped craving it.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

Thank you all so much! These are all very helpful suggestions and a lot to think about. You're all wonderful and so supportive!

And the sad part is that I have seen Supersize Me and and still crave it.

Thanks so much again!!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #9  
--Writer--

S/C/G: 227/220.2/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherithegreat View Post
Thank you all so much! These are all very helpful suggestions and a lot to think about. You're all wonderful and so supportive!

Thanks so much again!!
Off-Topic: I've actually never been a huge fan of MacD's...but for some reason, Super Size Me made me crave a Big Mac. I had never had any up until I saw that documentary. I tried one...and now I like Big Macs. Not enough to get them very often...but reverse effect, huh?

There's also those Jimmy Dean D'Light's. They're a pretty low-calorie, quick, microwavable egg, meat, english muffin kinda thing.

Good luck. I love fast food breakfast too. And Waffle House.

Last edited by PastelApple; 12-16-2009 at 01:40 PM.
PastelApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherithegreat View Post

Thanks so much again!!
I don't think the documentary made me sick of it, but it just seems like the minute I turned 18 years old my system can't handle it.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I read some good advice once: If you're going to eat fast food, sit down and savor it. Don't eat it while driving or on the run. Sit, focus on the flavor in each bite. Sometimes you find it doesn't taste that great after all. Which is why we kinda inhale it whole and wash it down with fizzy chemical water
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 148/143/120

Height: 5'0"

I completely agree with VarsityQuidditch. If you can have foods you like and fit them into your plan, there's nothing wrong with it. I have no intentions of never eating fast food again. I just don't eat it as often as I used to, because most of the time now I want to stretch my calories further instead of using them up on one high cal meal. The two items you like are the lowest cal ones on the menu, so they're great choices compared to some of the others. And I personally think it's amazing you can do without the hashbrowns, lol. I always want the biscuit sandwich (more cals) and the entire meal w/ hashbrowns and OJ, which is way more cals than I can justify on one meal.
untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #13  

I ate it while I watched supersize me. I have a real bad addiction to having it for "brunch" I want it at 11 am every day. I've been so broke but I still want it.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote