Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/187/10%-174/G138

Height: 5'3

Default New here -- question

I don't know if this is the right place for this question. If it is not, I'm sorry.

I have had ED issues in the past with B/Ping and I got over them but I still have incredibly strong urges to binge, though never as strong as when I'm trying to lose weight, obviously.

I'm trying to do WW right now. I am generally just wondering if dieting is in some way setting myself up for binging. Can I safely be on WW and not be in danger of returning to unhealthy habits?

I ask this because I'm on day 4 here and I walked past my fridge this morning and stuffed a hand full of food in my mouth (which I then accounted for in "points" thus leaving myself very little room for any actual meals today -- in fact, I'm starving right now), which is something I haven't done in ages. I don't know why I did it.

Is this a normal thing?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Allie1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/154/129

Height: 5'7

I know it is hard and I have had issues the B/P in the past. For me personally I find that after a week or two of being on a routine of eating well every two to three hours will help get rid of the urges. It takes a while for your body to adjust, but for me it helps. Can you plan ahead everyday with your points for three meals and two snacks throughout the day?

It is hard but if you hang in there you will feel better. I myself am just getting back to a routine of eating this way this week after spending the last three B/P. I remembered how good I felt when I wasn't B/P but still eating throughout the day.

Good Luck!
iampoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

Height: 5'6"

I just posted a BP question here too... seems there should be an eating disorder forum..? Maybe there is, I didn't see one.

I played with the idea of WW, but read some things online that it sometimes can trigger eating disorders. But then any diet can I suppose

It's good to recognize the behaviors and triggers sooner than later. I was totally taken by surprise a few days ago to find myself slipping into old habits... (it took me like 3 days to slap myself and say, "wake up!") So it's good that you were mindful of what was going on (sneaking food, starving). It's not good to be hungry... if you're going hungry on ANY diet it's not good!

After my bout with bulimia 15+ yrs ago, I've been "allergic" to diets... don't know how far out you are from it, but for me I just couldn't deal with counting, tracking, structured exercise or diet at all. Ended up 50 lbs overweight, so here I am wishing I'd faced my demons sooner, lol!

I say try it, be aware, and bail out if the triggers start going off. And, take your time... try not to put too much pressure on yourself. You'll get there when you're ready. You're doing awesome!
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #4  

Well, I hadn't checked the board because when I first posted a couple places on here no one responded to anything I posted anywhere, so I hadn't really come back to the forums until today.

I just wanted to check back in. This is week 3 -- weigh in day for end of week 3 is tomorrow. I am right at (if it stays the same as this morning) about a 6 pound loss. The first two weeks were completely brutal and were triggering all sorts of thoughts of binging that I hadn't had in forever. Then I had a couple days this week where I couldn't seem to use up my points and I had to force myself to eat because I had enjoyed seeing the scale go down last week and my mind is just trained to want more and push for more the more I get. I am fighting that urge now and so I'm trying really hard to eat up all my points. Personally, I'd rather have to fight and be on the edge of starving myself than on the edge of binging because I am in way more danger of binging than I am of not eating.

I actually feel like this week has been way healthier than I was doing before I started WW because now instead of not eating all day and then binging at night, I'm actually planning out meals, eating with my family, fixing real meals for my kids, not hiding to eat, and eating normal meals at normal intervals. I started drinking a whole bunch of water.

Hopefully it will continue to work. I can't say for sure. I have had diets spin out of control before where it goes from being a normal healthy eating situation to restriction to more restriction to finally not eating. The battle is striking the balance between not eating and overeating.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm throwing in some exercise next week. Not three hours a day or anything. Just 20 minutes of walking a day for now.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/177/155

Height: 5' 7"

Hi,

I'm a newbie (4 days) to this forum too. It is kinda hard to get connected at first but great that folks do respond. I'm hoping that continues.

I did WW for 3 months with good results but the first 2-3 weeks I was SO hungry for my old portions and ways of eating. I hated the journal thing. In hindsight it may have been that I didn't want to write what I was really doing to my body. After 3 weeks I didn't feel as hungry as I did before and when my family noticed my smaller portions of food they gave it the nickname of "moms little food", which I learned to love.

I got over the "so hungry I can eat your face" times by thinking that the reason I was hungry was because I had stretched out my bloated stomach and body to the point that I thought I needed that extra food, but it didn't. I learned to embrace the discomfort of "hungry" , when I knew I shouldn't be, as my body feeding itself on the fat I had put on it and wanted to get rid of.

I may be wrong for that way of thinking (veterans of weight loss, help me out here) but it worked for me along with being around others who were going through the same feelings I was and supported me. And you have that here!
WiiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm on WW. I'm a binge eater, but don't usually purge. I had a really hard time getting started on WW. Mainly this was due to the fact that i hadn't recongnized that I was a binge eater yet and I just kept on binging. Once I did recognize my problem I was better able to fight it. It took a while to get control, but I've been binge free for a few months now. And If I do slip and binge or even just overeat I try really hard not to beat myself up over it. I've had some weeks where I get right back on track after a binge, work hard, and still lose weight that week!

I'm glad to hear that it's going well for you so far. Make sure you stick with us here at 3FC. It's a great place to help stay motivated and to get help when things aren't going so great.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 10-09-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #7  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

To be perfectly honest, the first couple of weeks on a diet are the absolute hardest. Why? Because we're not feeding ourselves the way we used to! Habits that we want to develop take roughly 3 weeks to become habits. Why do you think New Year's Resolutions don't work?

So, yes, WiiMom is right in a sense. The stomach isn't handling the amount of food it was getting two weeks ago. As a result, the body gets hungry and we binge.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #8  

I totally agree about that learning to feel uncomfortable.
I have never been able to get comfortable with just feeling the feeling of eating a normal meal. I have either starved myself for days and had that so starving I'm dizzy and almost high feeling or that so stuffed I feel like throwing up feeling.

Eating a moderate amount of food and not being too full but not starving is a new feeling to get used to. It is uncomfortable at times. But surprisingly I am finding that I am more productive as a result. I am trying to spend more time with my kids and working around the house instead of spending every waking minute thinking about what I'm going to eat or what I"m not going to eat. It is kind of like a drug addict getting used to their life not revolving around drugs.

And it has been a long time (like 11 years) since I was in the full throws of my ED, where I was not eating and down to 114 and full-on just B/P all the time, but what I didn't realize, like a previous poster said, was that I was still binging most days of the week, without even knowing it. I thought I had given it up, but all the behaviors were still there. I was hiding to eat, going on food runs by myself mid-day after work, eating in the car alone, etc.

WW has really helped open my eyes up with the journaling to what I was doing to myself.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I am a binger myself and I know the struggles you are facing. Dieting definitely triggers binges for me, and that's why I had never been successful on a diet before. After 2 decades of bingeing I had forgotten how to feel 2 very simple things that healthy eaters feel:

1. What it feels like to be hungry
2. What it feels like to be full

I didn't eat because I was hungry, I ate for all kinds of other reasons:

a. I was bored
b. It was time to eat
c. I was upset
d. I was happy
e. I was alone
f. I was mad
g. I was frustrated
h. I was celebrating

The list could go on and on and on. During the years of bingeing I avoided feelings of hunger at all cost, until I couldn't feel them anymore. And I would eat so much that I didn't feel full, I would feel sick rather.

Going on a diet is a trigger for hunger, and hunger means you have to face up to all the feelings that go along with hunger, all the bad emotions and everything.

When I started addressing my ED in therapy I gained weight. I sort of had to I think... I know it sounds weird but everytime I let myself feel real hunger it would trigger a binge, but it was the first step towards getting better. Journaling started to help me feel accountable and now I feel much better. I'm still triggered to binge quite often but I'm able to address the issue in a healthier way now. So the answer to your question is yes, dieting triggers bingeing, it did for me.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Allie1128,

I don't really have any wise words. But, I wanted to say hello and that I hope you're able to find the inspiration and information you need.

My best to you.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote