Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/145/130

Height: 5 '6

Unhappy Ugh!

I am new to this forum, and I just started a new diet at the beginning of this week. I was doing wonderfully until last night. I went out for sushi with friends, and I ended up eating 1 1/2 crab cakes, one sushi roll with tempura, and a fried dumpling! This is on top of 3 pieces of a caterpillar roll, which has cream cheese in it. They just tasted so much better than the veggie rolls, which were not really made to my liking.

Then we went to the movies and I had buttered popcorn. To be fair, I didn't buy it. I was offered. Can't I just say no? Ugh.

Anyway, I am back on the diet again today, but I still feel like I ruined the effort I made for the rest of the week.

Last edited by shelleymarie30; 06-18-2009 at 05:33 PM.
shelleymarie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Don't give up. Everyone stumbles. Today is a new day. Just keep at it! It will get easier.
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #3  

In my personal experience, my friends have always sabotaged my diet. Mainly because I've always been over weight and so I have settled in with friends (and a husband) that like to eat, and not be very active. Your night sounds like the kind of night we'd have...as opposed to say a more active night, less focused around eating.

I'm not saying to drop your friends, but I will say that for me to lose the weight in the past (I've since gained it back), I had to have the will power to say "NO" when everyone else was eating junk and offering me some.
Or to decline some outings. You will need to see what works for you. Good luck!!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248/145/130

Height: 5 '6

Just to be fair, it's not like my friends aren't active. We do active things together. But I do have very cerebral friends, and dinner and drinks is often part of getting together and catching up, discussing issues, and just enjoying each others company. In fact, most people do go out for dinner, have people over for dinner and parties, and etc. I have a close group of friends and enjoy going to dinner, lectures, the theatre, the ballet, the opera, and etc.

I sabotaged my diet by eating something that wasn't part of my regular routine. I guess we all splurge on diets from time to time. To be fair, I don't really have fat friends. I am pretty much the heaviest person I know! I will say that my friends are an excellent support system, and I am not sure that I agree with you about settling. It's not as if we sit around and eat all night, but it is not as if we are extremely active people either. I am a little too cerebral to be going rollerblading every evening or canoeing every weekend, but I do those things as well with my friends sometimes. I am much too mental to do it every time we get together, and I wouldn't find it fun. I didn't find it fun at a size 5, and I don't find it fun at a size 20. We do go to the park, go for walks, go shopping, take dance lessons, workout, and do various other activities together. However, I enjoy getting out for dinner and a movie on hump day. I guess I will just need to turn down the tempura next time.
shelleymarie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

You're not off your diet, you just made some poor choices. You are not being punished for those choices and you have not sabotaged your diet. You're allowed to eat anything you want some of the time, but you're not allowed to eat anything you want all the time. Whenever you make some bad choices then make up for it later. I ate heavily yesterday, 500 calories more than I intended. So today I'm taking it easy and eating a few less than my goal calories. It's ok, this keeps your body guessing and never settling on a specific amount of calories.

I was told by my therapist that "normal" weight people do this all the time... like they eat too much on Thanksgiving day and then eat lightly for the next few days. Adapt this habit and you'll feel in control even when you're out of control!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm thrilled to read that you don't "blame" your friends for your over indulgence. I have read the blame game so often on "diet" forums, that it would seem that half the world is out to make their friends fat...LOL

If you are really serious and totally want to get healthy, my only advice to you would be to pick up right were you left off and try like the dickens to avoid situations were you are prone to over eat. I have to avoid places like ice cream shops and nacho places.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote