Obsessing About Eating Sugar

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: Are there any good human studies on sugar addiction?

I'm not being bolshy here, just wondered.

I know there's all the "well, rats' teeth chatter in sugar withdrawal" stuff, does anyone have any (haha, I'm procrastinating..I have an essay..) peer reviewed links ?
    I think there was a study posted here about that and it was certainly interesting. I can't remember where it was published, may not have been a peer-reviewed journal. But it was definitely food for thought. I'll have to see if I can get it off the tip of my tongue some time today ...
  • Having been away and done - hooray! - a lot of work for this essay today, I think some people who perhaps have fewer dopamine receptors than others, might be more liable to like sugar rather too much, although sugar doesn't release as much dopamine/ have as much effect as cocaine etc, which seems to be the drug discussed most.

I'm surprised how interesting I find biological psychology. I'm conceding from reading about all these rats on Class A drugs that sugar could possibly be addictive, but maybe in a different way.

alright, now I'm rambling.
  • I will check out the SBDiet-- believe it or not that is one of the very FEW diets I have not tried-- thanks for the suggestion
  • Sugar
    I don't know if you eat stuff with aspartame, splenda, etc. in it but I find if I eat any of that stuff that I crave sweets more and more. When I don't eat artificial sweeteners I have few sweet cravings. However, I am a vegetarian and do eat quite a lot of fruit (3-4 pieces a day). Because of the fiber content fruit doesn't spike me up and crash me down like other sugar-laden foods will.
  • Quote: I think some people who perhaps have fewer dopamine receptors than others, might be more liable to like sugar rather too much, although sugar doesn't release as much dopamine/ have as much effect as cocaine etc, which seems to be the drug discussed most.

I'm surprised how interesting I find biological psychology. I'm conceding from reading about all these rats on Class A drugs that sugar could possibly be addictive, but maybe in a different way.

I just read a great book that has a chapter of on diet/sugar & fat cravings and the opioid release called, The Well-Dressed Ape by Hannah Holmes. I highly recommend it.
  • Quote: I don't know if you eat stuff with aspartame, splenda, etc. in it but I find if I eat any of that stuff that I crave sweets more and more. When I don't eat artificial sweeteners I have few sweet cravings. However, I am a vegetarian and do eat quite a lot of fruit (3-4 pieces a day). Because of the fiber content fruit doesn't spike me up and crash me down like other sugar-laden foods will.
    I hear a lot of people worrying over how much fruit they can eat and not get cravings, but I have never had cravings from fruit. No problem at all