Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinRockingChair View Post
Are there any good human studies on sugar addiction?

I'm not being bolshy here, just wondered.

I know there's all the "well, rats' teeth chatter in sugar withdrawal" stuff, does anyone have any (haha, I'm procrastinating..I have an essay..) peer reviewed links ?
I think there was a study posted here about that and it was certainly interesting. I can't remember where it was published, may not have been a peer-reviewed journal. But it was definitely food for thought. I'll have to see if I can get it off the tip of my tongue some time today ...
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #17  

Having been away and done - hooray! - a lot of work for this essay today, I think some people who perhaps have fewer dopamine receptors than others, might be more liable to like sugar rather too much, although sugar doesn't release as much dopamine/ have as much effect as cocaine etc, which seems to be the drug discussed most.

I'm surprised how interesting I find biological psychology. I'm conceding from reading about all these rats on Class A drugs that sugar could possibly be addictive, but maybe in a different way.

alright, now I'm rambling.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #18  
jmwt

S/C/G: 242/199/140

Height: 5'7

I will check out the SBDiet-- believe it or not that is one of the very FEW diets I have not tried-- thanks for the suggestion
venusbirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #19  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

Default Sugar

I don't know if you eat stuff with aspartame, splenda, etc. in it but I find if I eat any of that stuff that I crave sweets more and more. When I don't eat artificial sweeteners I have few sweet cravings. However, I am a vegetarian and do eat quite a lot of fruit (3-4 pieces a day). Because of the fiber content fruit doesn't spike me up and crash me down like other sugar-laden foods will.
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #20  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinRockingChair View Post
I think some people who perhaps have fewer dopamine receptors than others, might be more liable to like sugar rather too much, although sugar doesn't release as much dopamine/ have as much effect as cocaine etc, which seems to be the drug discussed most.

I'm surprised how interesting I find biological psychology. I'm conceding from reading about all these rats on Class A drugs that sugar could possibly be addictive, but maybe in a different way.

I just read a great book that has a chapter of on diet/sugar & fat cravings and the opioid release called, The Well-Dressed Ape by Hannah Holmes. I highly recommend it.
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif View Post
I don't know if you eat stuff with aspartame, splenda, etc. in it but I find if I eat any of that stuff that I crave sweets more and more. When I don't eat artificial sweeteners I have few sweet cravings. However, I am a vegetarian and do eat quite a lot of fruit (3-4 pieces a day). Because of the fiber content fruit doesn't spike me up and crash me down like other sugar-laden foods will.
I hear a lot of people worrying over how much fruit they can eat and not get cravings, but I have never had cravings from fruit. No problem at all
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote