My Addiction

• Food really isn't my problem. I eat out more than I should, and I crave Pizza Hut, but if I stay at home usually I make better choices. (Although I hate veggies, and have been trying to sneak them in where possible.)

My addiction is soda. Mt. Dew, actually. I can easily drink 6-8 a day without thinking about it. I know it's bad for me. I know I shouldn't be doing it. But it's a physical addiction. I've tried to stop and withdrawl symptoms are so bad I just give in. I've cut back to 2 8oz cans a day, but that's still too much.

Everyone tells me to switch to diet, but it's not the same. I'd rather drink water than diet soda. In fact, I drink alot more water now. It's not just the caffeine that I crave because I switched to tea and I still had bad withdrawls.

Any suggestions? Anyone else going through the same thing?
  • I had a baaaaad addiction to coca cola a few years back. In fact, if I'm not careful, it sneaks up every now and again until I realize I'm drinking one of the baby cans (half cans) every day! That usually lasts about a week and then I nip it in the bud and completely stop.

So yes, I know exactly how you feel! I wouldn't switch to diet, because then you'll just drink A LOT of diet mt. dew. I make myself stick to regular coke so that then I feel terrible and guilty about the calories and try to have at least that as a deterrent.

This is withdrawal from an addiction to sugar. Dangerous stuff. Seriously. Just as bad as addiction to caffeine IMO. Your body is used to feeling those feelings and is missing them.

It helps (a tiny bit) if you look at it that way.....There was a thread around Christmas time about addiction to sugar, it was a good one. Can't remember where it is though.

~CGH~
  • Yes

Try cutting back slowly by getting those 100 calorie baby cans. Limit to one or two per day and taper down. You'll find yourself needing less and less.
  • I quit completely on New Year's day. After four days, I was in withdrawl so badly that I had pounding headaches that were making me so sick I would throw up. I went to Wal-Mart and bought the baby cans and said I'd drink only one a day. I did good, until yesterday, when I drank three. I need to really watch it, or I'll be back to my bad habit by the end of the month. It's good to know that others have struggled with the same thing. Thanks!
  • It is very dangerous to quit full strength sugar/caffeine soda cold turkey---people have been known to end up in the hospital and/or suffer those extreme headaches as their body goes through withdrawal.

Yes, withdrawal. You need to approach this that way. Ease off the stuff gently and drink lots of water while you're doing it. Realize that just eliminating full strength soda will help you lose weight, even if you don't change anything else. Drink diet or water or flavored water, but do this for yourself, you will be so glad you did!!
  • [QUOTE=Scarlet;2543685]It is very dangerous to quit full strength sugar/caffeine soda cold turkey---people have been known to end up in the hospital and/or suffer those extreme headaches as their body goes through withdrawal.

i had a cousin that actually did end up in the hospital with heart problems from Mt dew and other High sugar high caffine drinks. its important that you do go slow. if you can go see a Dr. . if you cant.. you need to ween yourself SLOWLY and dont expect miracles overnight. .

good luck.. addiction is hard. but beatable. you can do it!