3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   Can compulsive eating be a good thing? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/160730-can-compulsive-eating-good-thing.html)

lackadaisy 01-07-2009 07:40 PM

Can compulsive eating be a good thing?

I tend to end up eating the most when I have a supply of food within arm's reach (even if it's healthy -- like granola). Yesterday, I ate 10 oz of grapes. Today... I don't know how many baby carrots. It kills me. I'm trying to be positive about it, though... carrots are very low-calorie. 2 whole cups of carrots is less than 150 calories. ;)

Anyway, I was so stuffed by dinnertime that all I could eat was a bit of nonfat yogurt. So... this was a good day? :dizzy:

So that's my new diet trick: take advantage of the eating reflex to fill myself with healthy things so that I stop craving heavier foods. What do you guys think? Does it work for you?

CousinRockingChair 01-11-2009 03:43 PM

Well...I think you're halfway onto a good thing.

And halfway not.

You don't want to compulsively eat, whether its apples or butter or anything in between. You don't want to be out of control and be "stuffed" whether with carrots or candy..because compulsive overeating is always compulsive overeating, and the real issue of feeling out of control has not been tackled.

That said, its a sensible strategy to fill up on healthy foods, of course that's going to help and will make your body healthier. But not bingeing on them. Not good. Its boring, but 3 meals a day, a couple of snacks, eating when you're hungry and stopping when you're full..you know the drill. Regular food intake = more balanced blood sugar = fewer cravings = fewer binges.

Nonfat yogurt isn't a whole lotta good for much other than calcium maybe, and there's more of that in a hearty serving of some green leafy vegetables.

kaebea 01-11-2009 06:39 PM

i thought i responded to you, but sometimes i hit 'preview' and forget to actually submit my post later. grrrr!

well, what i wanted to say was that any over eating is taxing to the stomach and GI tract. over loading your digestion dilutes down your digestive juices and enzymes so that your digestion is then inefficient. it is a stress on our bodies to eat more food than we can sufficiently process.

on the other hand, i have to agree that over doing it on carrots is definitely a plus from the same amount of bulk in snickers bars! :) but like CRC said, it is still a compulsive behavior and that in and of itself is not good.

Ufi 01-12-2009 12:55 PM

Been there, tried that. Your body will adjust, and then eventually you may rebel and figure that you might as well have what you really want because you're not losing weight anyway. Compulsive eating, even when eating so-called healthy food, is still compulsive eating and not addressing the root of the problem. Sorry.