3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Chicks in Control

Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #46
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Depends on what degree of comfort is required.

If I'm simply unsettled & anxious, often because of being indecisive about something, then yes, I'm looking for the distraction of binging, of getting lost momentarily in the pleasure of eating.

If I am hit really hard by something -- for instance, when my father died about two months ago -- then, no, strangely enough, I don't binge. I'd think that I would have, if it were (for me, anyway) just about seeking comfort.

This pattern seems to hold true for me. During an unholy emergency or unbelievable stress, I'm not tempted to binge. But give me an ordinary, tension-filled day, with lots of small obstacles & annoyances in my way, and yes, I start fixating on a particular food like it's the Holy Grail, the answer to everything.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #47

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypantalones View Post
i think for me control plays a role here... like << if i cant get a boyfriend/a million dollars/a new job/whatever... then im gonna be in total "control" of one thing about my life, and no one can tell me not to go to jack in the box at 3am and i am going to have a great time >> HA i just wish that take charge urge manifested in more of "i think i want to run a marathon/start a charity/learn to crochet!" kinda way!
for me it's 95% a control issue, except in the opposite direction. i think i start feeling so overwhelmed by having to be disciplined in my life just to keep the train from flying off the tracks. i've always been in high pressure environments (ivy league school for undergrad, grad work at elite institution, then high pressure jobs), and i think binge eating is kinda my FU to all of that pressure and having to keep myself hyper-disciplined and high-achieving in everything. i just sorta lose all control for a bit and go crazy giving myself what i want beyond the point of even wanting it. like, even after i'm full, i might finish that entire pizza just because i can. and of course i'm immediately filled with remorse and self-loathing for letting things go like that. and the cycle just repeats itself.

gah!

Valentine's 5K: 27:53
St. Patty's 5K: Doctor's Note
Easter 5K:27:59
Mothers Day 5K: 27:25
Fathers Day 5K: 27:08
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #48
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Hi all -

Well, I guess I'm everything! LOL I binge at times emotionally, other times I eat blindly and don't taste a thing but I definitely cleaned my plate!

Sws19 - You did bring up something interesting with 'control.' Because I am a control freak. I like organization at work and mostly at home. I like a clean house, etc.... So, what you said made sense that I could be 'out of control' with pigging out and just not care for once. That really is an interesting point. I have always wondered about my emotional eating because I would pig out or binge thinking it was just emotional eating, but sometimes when emotional I can 'not eat.' Which was the opposite. You have definitely given me something to think about.

Sandy

blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #49

S/C/G: 155/145/120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebea View Post
Hi girls (mostly)

just wondering lately...Do you feel that the reason you mainly binge is comfort?

I have things in my life, like i'm sure many people do that cause me to be unsettled and to have worry in the back of my mind, even on a day when i otherwise feel good.

In general i'm an anxious person. i have a hard time with forming close bonds and friendships with people. and my self esteem is somewhat lacking.

but i'm wondering if the main reason people binge eat is for comfort, and perhaps if we felt more at peace, there would be no need for the binges.

anyone else feel the same?
Yep! My top two reasons for pigging out/eating poorly: comfort (because I'm stressed/sad/lonely) and boredom.

Whenever I go on vacation somewhere and I'm doing exciting things and feeling great, I always lose weight because I eat less frequently and I eat healthier. I don't crave junk as I normally do at home. In fact, sometimes I forget to eat entirely because I just don't get hungry.

I remember one year I went on a 14-day vacation to Italy, Austria, and Germany and I lost 9 lbs (from 140 to 131), but I gained it back within a few months of returning home.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygritsconfessions View Post
Hi all -

Well, I guess I'm everything! LOL I binge at times emotionally, other times I eat blindly and don't taste a thing but I definitely cleaned my plate!

Sws19 - You did bring up something interesting with 'control.' Because I am a control freak. I like organization at work and mostly at home. I like a clean house, etc.... So, what you said made sense that I could be 'out of control' with pigging out and just not care for once. That really is an interesting point. I have always wondered about my emotional eating because I would pig out or binge thinking it was just emotional eating, but sometimes when emotional I can 'not eat.' Which was the opposite. You have definitely given me something to think about.

Sandy

i think maybe it's a little bit like the opposite of anorexia. doctors say that anorexia is often not about the weight or the food at all but is a way for people to exercise hyper-control over some aspect of their lives when everything else around them feels like it's in flux or totally out of their control. so i think for me the binge eating is what happens when nobody else is around, i let go of the other stuff, stop sucking in my stomach, and go to town on those nachos/pizza/bagels/whatever except momentum builds and i can't seem to stop until i'm literally at the point of exploding. of course, unlike anorexia, it's not only about control vs. relaxing, letting go, and indulging my desires, it's also very much about the food as well. the delicious delicious food.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #51

Hi everyone! I can relate so much, especially with the sleep thing. When I overeat, I sleep soooo well, and when I am eating lightly I toss and turn. Food is my drug. I am not overweight, so it's hard for others to understand. It doesn't mean, however, that I don't struggle with food the way others do.

There's certainly that correlation with alcohol. I can't drink, but like others say you can't live without the food. There's always that temptation. But like all of you I am determined to fight this.

Have a wonderful day and let's try to stay clear of the enemy.

don't give up!!
luvmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #52
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Kaeba - Yes, I do have to agree, as that happened to me - being at peace and losing weight. Two years ago I really focused on complete 'peace' in my life. I studied a booklet that had me do alot of journaling and learning to let go of all of those emotional demons in my life. The weight literally fell off, and so did the need for comfort food. I couldn't believe how at peace I was and how fast I was losing weight. It was amazing. Unfortunately 6 months later when complete chaos entered my life, and I quit journaling, the weight started coming back. I was an emotional wreck caring for my dying father-in-law and just couldn't get any control in my life until recently. I know what happened, it is just a matter of me getting back to that 'place' in my head. I just hope I can find it again!

Sws19 - Yes, that goes with what I wrote about. I had found balance and had no need to 'let go' anymore. I had learned to let go and let be, to stay in a peaceful place in my head. I journaled my issues and got rid of them. When my father-in-law was diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer and chaos ensued for months, I lost control. I was a very, very difficult time and I had absolutely NO control in my life.

Sandy

mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #53

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Oh my gosh! Food is my #1 nerve pill.
Ive done pretty well lately that Ive been trying. But Monday I had one of those days where everything went wrong and I was in a LOT of pain with my muscle disease. DH called and was going to be very late and not be home in time for dinner. DS needed a nap and was refusing one. So I thought kill two birds one stone car ride - napping kid and I can go get myself some "dinner" I ate 6 pieces of cheap pizza and a half of a 2 liter of pepsi. I kept telling myself your only going b/c your stressed dont go. I went anyway and I could literally feel the stress melt away with every bite and every sip. Pure comfort.
The next day when I realized my 1500 calorie goal for the day had been doubled not so comforting.
I hate days like that because it was seriously my breaking point and I didnt know what else to do.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #54
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

I wonder why they don't look more into WHY we overeat instead of just assuming we have no self control. I get real tired of hearing "it isn't rocket science. Just eat less and move more". I can't just follow a diet plan and lose weight even though 110% of me wants to do it. There are feelings involved, which to most of us feels like an addiction that cannot be ignored anymore. Those of us who are overweight and feel frustrated that we can't get it off need more than just being told to eat less. Most of us KNOW what to do but feel so out of control with our eating that it has to be more than a choice for us. Personally I feel that "addicted" feeling every day. I feel out of control more often than not, and it's about time we are listened to, because I know it's not just me. There is something going on that is more complicated than the "experts" believe.

Anyone agree with this?

Heidi
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #55

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by doIlookfat? View Post
I wonder why they don't look more into WHY we overeat instead of just assuming we have no self control. I get real tired of hearing "it isn't rocket science. Just eat less and move more". I can't just follow a diet plan and lose weight even though 110% of me wants to do it. There are feelings involved, which to most of us feels like an addiction that cannot be ignored anymore. Those of us who are overweight and feel frustrated that we can't get it off need more than just being told to eat less. Most of us KNOW what to do but feel so out of control with our eating that it has to be more than a choice for us. Personally I feel that "addicted" feeling every day. I feel out of control more often than not, and it's about time we are listened to, because I know it's not just me. There is something going on that is more complicated than the "experts" believe.

Anyone agree with this?

Heidi
i agree 120% about the addiction thing. speaking as someone who at various times has had (still has?) fairly significant cigarette and cocaine habits (i should probably remove my picture if i'm going to admit this in public), i'd say that the temptation posed by food is as great if not greater. i quit smoking last month, same time i started calorie counting, and so far resisting certain foods is proving the bigger challenge. (except when i'm out drinking. in that situation, i think maybe the desire for a cigarette probably trumps all.) i had often told people considering using that cocaine was the most addictive substance i had ever encountered, but now that i think if it, that's not true. food is.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #56
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

Default It's biology

I fall into the biological drive camp. There's plenty of scientific research out there that demonstrates we are biologically hard-wired to over consume fats and sugars. Humans have spent most of our history as foragers, with limited access to fats and sugars (which are necessary for proper biological functioning). For instance, sugars in nature come primarily from fruit and honey, which are seasonal. Also, there's a lot of competition for these items from other animals. So we've been genetically programed to consume as much as possible of these rare treats when we come across them. Like some of you said, one of the mechanisms that exists to ensure over consumption of these foods if the opioid release that triggers a chemical high from eating these foods. Our brains reward us for eating these things -- the more we eat, the greater the high.

Because of our modern food system and level of wealth, we have unlimited access to sugary and high fat food. This coupled with our instinctual drive to eat these foods leads to over consumption of such treats. Our culture tells us that overweight people have not control, so we buy into this idea and beat ourselves us, when in reality as foragers those who consumed the most sugar and fat tended to survive and reproduce (passing along those genetic traits that drive the desire to eat these things).

Also when you eat fewer calories than maintenance requires, your body signals that you are starving yourself and kicks in all of those anti-starvation mechanisms that exist in our brains and bodies, which may lead to binging. I think that this is why many diets have that break day or high calorie day 1x per week or every 4 days and why a lot of people cycle calories. So sometimes when you feel like binging, it may be your brain/body saying enough is enough, quit starving yourself and eat something. It may help you you do indulge, as it may kick you out of starvation mode and rev up your metabolism.