is it all just for comfort?

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Keabea, thanks for starting this thread. I know I eat to soothe myself. I have had a problem with smoking and drinking. Managed to quit both for a long time, but I seem to have substituted eating obsessively. Like monikacool, I have trouble sleeping and eating a large handfull of cookies, chips or whatever helps me sleep. So discouraging. I wake up in the night and eat sometimes. It is like I am sleepwalking and I certainly don't think about what I am eating. At least when I eat during the day, I pay some attention to what I am doing.
  • Hello Eveyone,

I am fairly new and have enjoyed reading this thread, because it so relates to me. I too am a binge eater and absolutely hate it when I do it. It is a temporary comfort feeling, which seems to also always be at night. In the morning I am totally bummed that I ate like that, as I know it blew my weightloss.

I think I also do this to soothe me. Late at night it's finally my alone time, when I can just 'chill' and relax, but I always go to the kitchen. I can do good for so long and then all of a sudden I totally binge out. I used to be really bad about it and do it alot, but over the last few years I have had it somewhat under better control. Well, until recently, it has started to get out-of-control again, especially this week, however my life seems chaotic so maybe that is why. Possibly I am soothing myself because all that is going on around me? I don't know, but I do know I just at two sandwhiches, a few chips and a half a brownie - so right now I am totally bummed.

Sandy
  • ahh yes thank you for starting this kaebea! its really got my head spinning... in a good way! in a... have i really really really never thought about this before kinda way!?

i think youre so right that the "i just eat a lot" excuse is tired, not to mention really really unhealthy physically AND its a terribly sad mental trap. because no matter what i tell myself, i know i know i know that i DO want a different and better life for myself. being skinny, like having money, does not equal happiness, but for people like most of us (right??) losing weight and getting healthy IS a very happy, exciting thing. and that self-sabotage just can't fly!

also that it alllll probably goes back to some sort of comfort, peace, happiness we/i seek... i think the thing thats most incredible about it is that it sooo DOESNT WORK! i dont even enjoy bingeing anymore... wow. sure most things are great in moderation, but these destructive addictions sure are something, huh? seems so irresistible (food/drugs/alcohol) but all it does is make the user hate themselves even more. which is basically the opposite what any of us are looking for.

i think for me control plays a role here... like << if i cant get a boyfriend/a million dollars/a new job/whatever... then im gonna be in total "control" of one thing about my life, and no one can tell me not to go to jack in the box at 3am and i am going to have a great time >> HA i just wish that take charge urge manifested in more of "i think i want to run a marathon/start a charity/learn to crochet!" kinda way!

and mygrits: oh boy have we all been there. the regret is so disheartening. ive never found a the perfect mechanism to really get me back on board once those failure thoughts have begun, but i DO know that really all it takes is me reclaiming my body as my own... and these days im working on making that reclamation happen sooner... as in immediately! no more self-constructed oblivion to escape to for a few weeks while i eat my face off and undo all the good work ive done.

ohhh we got this!
  • Partypantalones - your so right on what you wrote. It is me reclaiming my body as my own and appreciating it, as it is the only body I have. I need to nuture it, take care of it, and love it, because if I don't eventually it will break down. Just like our vehicles if we don't change the oil, give it a tune up and take care of it, eventually they won't start anymore ;-)

Well, last night I ate, as I was so down and felt I had not control. My daughter left for Navy Boot Camp at Great Lakes, Illinois and I was so having empty nest syndrome. She is 21 and we are very close, so I am going to really miss her presence at home. As a mom, I feel lonely, lost, and like I can't protect or help her anymore. It's not that I did that much anyway, because at 18 I let her be an adult and was there only when she needed me. It's just her leaving now, I know it's permanent ;-(

Well, I had my binge and today is a new day, and I am back on track! Thanks for listening..

Sandy
    blog = mygritsconfessions.com
  • I tend to eat out of bordem more so than for comfort. I think everyone has a different trigger as to why they overeat. I think the reasons are as individual as finger prints. The one thing we do all know is how devestating a binge can be when you're trying to do right & lose weight. The trick: don't let it get you down! Move on right away & do better next meal.
  • As i read everyones posts, i notice most of the posters want to lose weight. Some just want to loose 20 lbs and other alot more.

we all want to loose wieght, but it strikes me that there are so many people out there who can relate to mindless binge eating.
    At least i am comforted in knowing it is not just something freakish about me that i spend so much time thinking about this cycle of binging, feeling awful, vowing to change, getting the urge to binge again and starting the cycle over. There is something going one here.

I personally hope every one of us figures out how to escape the loop. I'm sure there are physical, chemical, hormonal, psychological and spiritual reasons that we go through this. I don't know what they are. but i'm sure it's more a matter of getting multiple areas in our lives back in balance than simply vowing not to over eat anymore.
  • Hello Everyone,

It is refreshing knowing I am not the only one struggling in this area, that there are others. I feel many things trigger my binging from boredom to emotions. I do feel when I am balanced in life and spiritually, I don't seem to have much of a binging problem. The reason I say this is two years ago I lost a tremendous amount of weight, but I was so focused mentally, physically and spiritually it was never a problem. I had very little, if any stress in my life. WOW, what happened! LOL

Actually the truth be many that after I had lost the weight our lives became very stressful financially and I also became a caregiver to my ailing father-in-law. So needless to say when my life is out-of-balance so is my weight!

Sandy
    myblog = mygritsconfessions.com
  • I binge for the numbness I feel afterwards. I hate myself after, but whatever I felt before is long gone.
  • I agree about the numbness and I experienced it again this weekend. I did great all week with eating, felt good, and was proud of my accomplishments. We left Friday for a convention in Atlanta, and I did great Friday on the road and even Saturday - that is until that evening. On our way home we received a phone call that my husbands bestfriend passed away at the Atlanta hotel (he was staying another night). We hurried back to Atlanta for a long and sad evening. We then drove home yesterday. Needless to say Saturday evening through last night my eating was horrible. It was complete emotional - stress eating wanting that numbness to forget what had happened.

Sandy

blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com
  • hi,
    I was just thinking about why I overeat. I know there is a comfort aspect to it, rooted in the anxiety and lack of self esteem that i suffer.

but i just ate a whole bag of trail mix driving home from the grocery store. Granted, nuts and fruit are a better choice than candy or chips, but it was still alot more calories than I needed, i was not physically hungry and i knew i did not needed it. trail mix has caused many a set back for my wieght loss as it has way more calories than i originally guessed.

I have this feeling almost like I can't let go of binging. I'm afraid not to have that outlet. Maybe somewhere deeply rooted is the belief that i can't survive without bingeing.
  • Kaeba isn't that called 'blind eating?' Maybe thats what they call it when you sit in front of the TV and continuously eat not realizing how much you ate and not even tasting the food.

I have done what you did on the way home, and gosh when I realized it - I ate the whole thing, not really even enjoying it. I usually do good all day and then have much difficulty at night when I finally relax.

Sandy

blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com
  • I agree with all the above comments about overeating. For me, not being in control of my emotions results in not being in control of my eating. I do really well for weeks at a time and then something bad happens and I start overeating. And once I overeat, it is truly hard to stop that downward slide. In fact, I am hoping to stop a slide right now and get back on track tomorrow. Thanks for letting me hear that others feel the same way ... it helps!
  • Kae-- i feel that way too!! like im almost not ready to let the binging go-- its been a friend that has comforted me (albeit not very well, but it has) and to let that go-- well.. what else am i going to do when i feel that... way. its almost scary.

i blind eat to. i'll just eat anything, and i cant taste it, dont feel anything, just numb blind eating. thats the addict in me taking over. one of the things im working on. -- tasting my meals insted of just shoving them in, to get that 'full' 'satisfied' feeling.
  • I eat when I am bored, mostly. Most people in my family can't eat when they are anxious or stressed, and seeing as most of the time thats me, I don't eat unless I am starving or bored. But then once I take a bite - I CAN'T STOP! I'll eat an entire bag of Goldfish or something. It sucks and I'm trying to start eating in small portions, instead of taking the bag with me or something.
  • i googled 'blind eating' and apparently it's the trending thing to do with the wealthy now at restaurant's. Eat blind folded

but i know what you mean. usually in the midst of a binge i deliberately try to NOT think of calories. With the trail mix though, i guestimated 800 calories in a bag, which technically could count as a meal. but when i did the math, it actually comes out to be more like double that amount.

well, a new day today.
    i have some tricks up my sleeve.