Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy I ate 4 donuts

Alright, so I have been doing really well after falling a little off the wagon last week. I went to my dr.s this morning, and she was so impressed with how much weight I'd lost since I last saw her, she even was asking me for advice for her own weight problems. Then, I came home and ate 4 doughnuts, in one sitting. What is wrong with me? I really just want to not feel the need to eat all the junk. I feel like I'm depriving myself of a special treat if I don't eat something (or one of everything). I need more self control. How am I going to handle the temptation of all the upcoming holiday treats if i can't stop myself on a random Thursday?!
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #2  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Well, its not as easy as we wish it was, that self control thing that some people have mastered and others only wish they had. I guess my own personal trick is to analize everything bad about any given food I want to binge on, imagine it literally clinging to my butt and love handels and just tell myself I'm the boss, not the donut. There is a saying: "I've come to far to take orders from a cookie."
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #3  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Ahh I totally understand what you mean!! Been there! Umm like a million times. I personally read the book 'Skinny Bi***' 2 months ago and since have not had one binge. I have over ate maybe twice but didn't feel quilty after, and didn't keep eating the whole house down since I 'already messed up', which is what I usually did in the past. This book has really helped me make a life change, and I feel so lucky that I read it. I have lost 17 lbs since Sept 1st, and no I haven't starved myself. If you can take some sailor talk pick up the book. Otherwise another thing that would help is wehn I would write in my journal pre-binge, but it didn't always help.

You're doing great. Be proud of yourself, don't let some stupid donuts stop you!!
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Also, Beck diet solution by Dr. Judith Beck is an amazing book that helped my binges and realizing many other things about "changing my lifestyle"...there is a forum for it on here if you want to check it out. Keep going, be proud of your accomplishments!!

JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #5  

I wanted to comment on the timing of the donuts- after a successful Dr. visit and good comments on your weight loss. When I analyzed all my many ups and downs I tried to take a really hard look at what made me start binging and ultimately re-gain. Alot of it had to do with my expectations not being met and also with fear. The expectations were the unrealistic ones that my life would be incredible if I just lost the weight and all other issues would be gone.....NOT! The fear was related to self-esteem. As if I did not know how to "do thin" and some stuff creeping in along the lines of "so now you are paying attention to me or being nice to me, but not when I was a big fat pig".... Oh the mind! This journey is difficult and I truly believe we can't do it alone. I try to make sure to check in with some weight loss buddies whenever something happens that starts making me feel off or that does not make sense- like in your case wanting to eat crud after nice compliments from a professional. Hang in there, stay with it, take it one day at a time, stay close. to 3FC and your support network.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #6  
150 by my 50th!!!

S/C/G: 341/261.4/150

Height: 5'7"

all I can add to this is to keep the stuff out of the house. Period. If its not there you arent as tempted. And the excuse, my hubby, my kids, the dog need it....not really. Remember, this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. Keep your fridge and pantry stocked with healthy foods and snacks so you will be less tempted to binge. If you like sweets, keep diet and sugar free jello, popsicles, frozen grapes, etc. in your arsenal. My weakness is cheese....I could LIVE on it...and love every kind under the sun. So my best way to not binge is to keep it out of my house. I buy the Cabot 75% reduced fat cheeses and low fat string cheese for the most part to keep me in check. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #7  

I think I understand what you're saying. I feel like I can eat 4 doughnuts because somebody says I'm skinny. And I would eat 4 donuts anyway when I felt fat, cause I was fat anyway.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #8  

I really don't buy any of that stuff. My boyfriend woke up wanting doughnuts, so he went out and bought a box for him and our son. I just sort of got in the way...
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/180/155

Height: 5'8"

I would say to myself "Self, I have screwed up. But it's okay, because we all screw up sometimes. I'll just walk an extra 15 minutes each day this week, or leave off the cheese, or something." Or you can just forgive yourself, and move on. Beating yourself up over it just stresses you out more, and makes it harder to resist temptation next time. Look at the big picture... if you've been good all week, 4 donuts on one day isn't going to destroy your diet. It'll just slow it a bit for that week. We all mess up now and then, but if the scale is moving down, even if it's slow, then you're doing good!
Athendta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/180/155

Height: 5'8"

Also, here's something to think about. 4 donuts is roughly 1200 calories. When dieting, we eat between 1200-1800 calories a day, but the calories needed to maintain your weight are around 2000 or so (and since you're about as tall as me, it's probably closer to 2200). So really, you may not be in a calorie deficit for today, but you'll still have a deficit for the week overall.

My last weight loss (successful, until I got married and got fat again), I allowed myself 1 day a week to have as a "fat day." I'd eat pizza, donuts, and a bottle of wine, if I had been good all week and not gone over my allowance of 1200-1400 calories a day. I went from 205 to 162 in 18 months on this plan, so hey! 4 donuts isn't as bad as 6 donuts, a bottle of wine, and a pizza. I'm sure you'll still lose weight.
Athendta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #11  

Thank you, that does make sense. I have been following the south beach diet plan, which does not require calorie counting, although i think when following the diet you consume about 1200 - 1500 calories a day. I feel like confessing to the slip ups helps me feel more accountable to someone other than myself. I really want to beat these age old bad habits and drop these pounds - and keep them off.