Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #1  

Default Specific food triggers?

I had a thought today about the foods that really seem to get to me. I heard a snippet of a Dr. on tv today talking about the effects certain foods have on us. Just curious as to what things set you off..

I went to buy butter for some cookies I'll be making for the kids. I knew if I bought the real butter, as opposed to the margerine, I'd end up eating the 2 extra sticks (on toast or crackers). It happens everytime I buy a lb of real butter. I just can not NOT eat it. (I know, just thinking about is grossing me out.) So I went ahead and got the margarine because I knew that would be safe and not the least bit tempting to me.

My other serious weakness is cheese. For as long as I can remember, cheese, melted or warmed, in things or on things, is the most lovely, warm comforting food (yes, very twisted thinking). I always find some way to fit cheese in to my meals. I'll make it fit into my calories and use low fat or whatever, but I find a way to fit it in.

Sugar is not much of an issue for me, or chocolate. But cheese and butter really get in my way. I was thinking today I might just try to give them up altogether so I just don't have the temptation in the house. It might make things easier for me if I'm not constantly trying to figure them into my 'diet'.

Anyone have a similar dilema?
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Cold cereal, crackers, ice cream, cookies, baked goods. Pretty much anything white floury, sugary or packaged. I severely limit these items and rarely allow them in the house.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #3  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Gogir, just a little fyi about butter and marg. butter and marg have about the same amount of cal, (butter has good fats) but if you were to break down the ingredients in marg it is only a few molecules away from being plastic. So I vote if I am going to put it in my body either by cooking or spreading I choose butter

I either read that on-line or saw it on TV but I believe it
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #4  

Yeah, I've heard that too, creepy. I bought the margarine because I don't care for it and I won't eat it (purely for the cookies I'll be making). But the real butter has some weird power over me ....if it's in the house I'll find some way to put it on or in things and before you know it I'll have eaten it all!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #5  
To thine ownself be true

S/C/G: 143/129/120

Height: 5'4"

Peanut butter!!! I CANNOT control myself. I stopped buying it for quite some time because I'd end up eating the whole jar with JUST a spoon! Now my BF literally hides the jar from me & then monitors me as I measure my 2 tablespoons. Pathetic, but true.

BTW Glory87 I checked out your slideshow and WOW!!! What an achievement! You are quite the inspiration. I am most impressed with you maintaining for so long. I think that is by far the most difficult. I seem to always be either on the way down or on the way up.
caloriecountingcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

For specific trigger foods like brownies, I ask my DH to keep them hidden from me. Snacks for my daughter that are less dangerous for me are still kept in a separate cabinet.

Things that I need to access sometimes for my daughter, like peanut butter, I keep on top of the kitchen cabinets -- out of sight and I have to make a big effort to get at it.

Things like extra sticks of butter I keep in the freezer -- helps keep it fresh until it is needed any way. Often foods that are tempting, even leftovers, can be removed from my radar screen by hiding them in the back of the freezer.

I've taken ownership of some of my old trigger foods and temptations (like pb cups), but I still choose to avoid battle whenever possible.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:26 AM   #7  
Bikini Season :)

anything fried.
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

mine is chicken from KFC... i think i have figured out why besides just the fact that it tastes so good lol... im american living in england, and the food here tastes so diff to me than in the states.. even when i make things i used to cook in the states, it comes out tasting diff to me.... kfc is the ONLY thing i have found that tastes the same.. just the chicken tho.. they dont have mashed taters lol.. and their cole slaw is more mayo tasting than ours.. anyhow, i think it is a trigger for me both for taste and familiarity...i do treat myself once a month to it cause i just have to lol.. two wings... but if there is any chicken left, i pack it in a tupperware container for hubbys lunch the next day at work.. if it were to stay around i would eat it all
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #9  

KFC sounds good. I have a weakness for all things fried too! I might need to just cut butter and cheese out altogether. They are probably 2 of the most calorie dense foods anyway, and I'm sure I eat way more than I even admit. I think my family could get by with out cheese in the fridge, but butter might be tricky. Either way, trying to reduce what I eat of these isn't working. I need to just not buy it at all. I don't even think keeping the cheese in the freezer would work. I'd get to it!

I know we couldn't do without peanut butter so I'm glad I'm not hooked on that!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

sourdough bread - I could eat a whole loaf. I miss it. I can't even have a small bite.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 120/120/115

Height: 5'2"

I definitely have to agree with you. Sourdough bread is my weakness!
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #12  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hmmm, do you really have to give up the cheese? its such a good source of calcium, and balances your diet, especially if you use the low fat stuff. I have switched to low fat and doing ok with it.
Chocolate was a craving for me, but switching to lower sugar dark chocolate, I find I need less, except when my period is due.
I have a sweet tooth, so any dessert will do, (especially pie) but fat and salty are always good. I just go for anything, not a specific food i guess.
fatmad
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/153/130

Height: 5'6"

pizza and peanut butter.
ThinBeforeThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

lots of things, usually sweet and soft, like brownies, snickers bars. toffee and caramel mmmmm....A box of chocolates is a favorite of mine, i like the suspense, the surprize, the mystery!!!
junk food mainly, like pizza or taco bell.
sometimes i need salty, like chips.
It varies, but it's always something fattening and processed, It's never happened that i had an irresistable urge for say...apples.

and for me it's always quantity over quality.

another trigger for me i think is not a food, but is stress.
i've noticed i can eat well and exersize on my days off, then after work come monday, i'm feeling like i need an escape. not that anything especially stressful has to happen, i think its more just the fatigue, even minor.
Plus it doesn't help that i don't get alot of fullfillment or satisfaction from my job.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #15  
Happy Mama Chick

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5

My biggest triggers include pizza and any kind of chip - I love chips. The hard part is that for me, certain foods still "go together" in my head. If I have chips, surely I must need cheese dip. If I eat something salty, of course, then I need something sweet to counter it. It's a slippery slope!

And, yeah, I'm a sucker for any kind of fast food - particuarly McD's or Taco Bell. It is so strange how much this weight loss thing is a mind game. I know the first few weeks are the hardest so yeah, this is definitely all a struggle right now.
Mandalou is offline   Reply With Quote