Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #61  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Well I slipped already LOL I thought I could ignore that wine sitting in the frigde until those first 5 pounds were gone -- wrong

I did weigh myself finally and lost .5 lbs from last week and today I bought a used stepping machine which I will set up tonight. I figure for every 30 min I am stepping would equal one glass of wine? does that sould about right?

Well anyway the wine is gone and not buying any more until those stubborn 5 are gone and I get into that exercise routine....wonder if I could do the exercise and save up points like in weight watchers and have my wine all at once?? Oh the ideas and excuses that keep going through my mind. And the thing is I know I don't need the wine and can go without it, have done it many times before and don't know why this time seems so hard
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #62  

Well, I am on weight watchers so I'll tell you the exchange for my weight (228) and sedantary lifestyle (all of which factor into how many points you get for activity.) I would get 2 pts for every 10 minutes of stairclimbing at a 30 steps per minute pace. 2 pts equates to a 5 oz glass of wine. (Measure those glasses, that not much by modern wine glass standards.) Currently on Flex program you cannot accumulate activity points. You either use them on the day you earn them or not. HTH
Parsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #63  

Oh, I forgot to say I reached my first 5lb goal today with a 1.2 lb loss for a total of 5.8 in 4 weeks! Yeah me! Now this is a funny obstacle, but since the Olympics have been on I've been staying up later to watch them which makes for a very long evening = more temptation. On the other hand with the 8:00 EST start, I've had plenty of time to get my walk in each evening to kill some time before they start. Trying to think of low point non salty snacks to keep me satisfied and out of the wine. So far ice cream (1/2 cup sugar free) has worked for me!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #64  
Work in Progress

Thank you for helping with the exercise/wine rato that will really help me.

Congradualtions on the 5.8lbs weight loss that is so awesome!
You know when I am being good a snack that works for me and grosses out my family is..I eat garlic dill pickles..the only problem is they are high in sodium but they have the salty, crunchy that I tend to crave
Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #65  

Thanks, Nancy and keep posting. Sharing these obstacles and how we deal with them helps us all!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #66  

Looks like I'm posting to myself, but wanted to post a mishap I had last night. After having a "stayed the same" weigh in week I got really serious and planned a perfect on program week. I find if I write things down and go to the trouble of counting the points and checking off the healthy eatting boxes, I will usually follow my plan. Well, I did not give myself enough food for dinner last night and those two glasses of wine I allowed myself sent me down that "an open bottle is an empty bottle" road of no return. Lesson learned... do not drink on an empty or near empty stomach. Must have food first! If not, bad things result!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 222/212/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi Parsp, I've been on vacation and dealing with some family issues so I haven't been around much.

Those open wine bottles in the house are impossible for me to resist too, and sometimes I'll be very careful with calories because I know I'll have the alcohol later and am saving them. If I'm at home this will end up in the empty bottle and probably extra food once my sober defenses are down.

Your'e right an empty stomach is not a safe place pour wine.

You've been doing great! step over this bump, and keep going.
clayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #68  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsp View Post
Looks like I'm posting to myself, but wanted to post a mishap I had last night. After having a "stayed the same" weigh in week I got really serious and planned a perfect on program week. I find if I write things down and go to the trouble of counting the points and checking off the healthy eatting boxes, I will usually follow my plan. Well, I did not give myself enough food for dinner last night and those two glasses of wine I allowed myself sent me down that "an open bottle is an empty bottle" road of no return. Lesson learned... do not drink on an empty or near empty stomach. Must have food first! If not, bad things result!
Hi Parsp! Not posting to yourself! I'm here too.

Sorry you had a slip. I wish you a very speedy recovery from it, as a quick bounce-back is the best way to minimize the damage!

I saw a really cool episode of a diet doctor show on FitTV in which the doc talked about the importance of having protein when drinking alcohol. She said that in order to not go off the glycemic scale with booze, a handful of nuts or a piece of cheese can really help.

So, I've taken to eating a spoonful of peanut butter before boozing. Sounds gross, I know, but it does seem to keep me balanced and keep my weightloss going, even when I do drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayr View Post
Those open wine bottles in the house are impossible for me to resist too, and sometimes I'll be very careful with calories because I know I'll have the alcohol later and am saving them. If I'm at home this will end up in the empty bottle and probably extra food once my sober defenses are down.

Your'e right an empty stomach is not a safe place pour wine.

You've been doing great! step over this bump, and keep going.
I haven't had any wine at home since starting this thread (I know!!!!! Amazing!) as I've been keeping to vodka, here, if anything. If I have wine, I have it while I'm OUT, so it's "by the glass," no questions asked.

Have you considered buying those little bottles of wine (they sell like a four-pack of wines, some places)?

Or, another option, and I know this sounds counter-intuitive, is getting a HUGE bottle of wine (or wine in a box, LOL) because then you just pull off your GLASS and don't think about "finishing it off." That's sort of how I approach the bottle of vodka. No need to go back to that bottle for more, as I'm not "trying to finish it" like I would/did/have with wine.

Just some thoughts. YMMV, of course!

Happy weekend, everyone!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #69  

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, I have done the little bottles before and although I can still drink 4 of those instead of 2 if they're in the house it does help. It also helps to only the have the 2 servings I intend to drink chilled. May try that again. The only problem is the bargain hunter in me knows you can get twice as much in the big bottle for about the same $ as the individual bottles. I've rearranged my plan for the weekend to put a little more substance in my evening meal and have included laughing cow cheese as some protein too, so thanks for the ideas.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #70  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, I have done the little bottles before and although I can still drink 4 of those instead of 2 if they're in the house it does help. It also helps to only the have the 2 servings I intend to drink chilled.
That's a great idea!! Very smart!

Quote:
May try that again. The only problem is the bargain hunter in me knows you can get twice as much in the big bottle for about the same $ as the individual bottles.
Yes. Here's how I cured myself of that little dialogue (because, "Take better care of your body than your wallet today, or else you won't have a body on which to carry a wallet tomorrow anyway" didn't seem to work).

I drank my two (or whatever magic number) and then poured the rest down the drain right after pouring that last "allowed" glass.

Yes, the whole time, I was thinking, "What a WASTE of MONEY!!!!!" And then I said, "Right. And if you could CONTROL going back for ONE MORE GLASS, you'd be allowed to SAVE the money, KEEP the bottle in the fridge, and have some TOMORROW without having to spend twice as much."

Cured me, right then and there.

Quote:
I've rearranged my plan for the weekend to put a little more substance in my evening meal and have included laughing cow cheese as some protein too, so thanks for the ideas.
Yay! Good luck! Lemmeknow how it goes!

Happy weekend!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #71  

FOG, I am sitting at my desk LOL at your post, imagining that little scene with you berating yourself as you poured the wine down the drain. Loved that! I believe that visual might actually help me... hopefully without having to give myself the same lesson Thanks for the post.

I stayed pretty much to my program this weekend with a few changes in plans. Went to a shower/cookout for my daughter Sat night where no alcohol was served, so by the time I got to where I was spending the night the hotess and I had two glasses of wine while we caught up and went to bed. I'm definitely finding that the more I fill my time with other things to do, the less tempting the sitting and sipping become.

The other hurdle was that the hostess doesn't drink coffee, so although she had a beatiful breakfast prepared, there wasn't a cup of coffee insite. Imagine that! I don't think I've had a coffee free morning in 40 years! So we were going to Church and Sunday School and I figured I'd get a cup there. No! Not even a coffee pot going there either. I survived, but don't want to try that again anytime soon! I didnt' want to embarrass her by saying, can we stop at the 7-11 for a cup of coffee. Note to self. Take your own coffee to that friend's house in the future!

2 days to go till weigh in so I'll let you know Wed how it comes out.
Walking, drinking water, and preplanning are my focus points this week!
Hope everyone else has a good week too!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #72  
Work in Progress

Every time I read the post here I just shake my head and say...that is me too! I tried so hard the past week to cut out the wine and somehow (I know how) a bottle or box ended up in the refridg.
Well Sunday Morning (and darn that was hard) I took the remaining wine and poured it down the sink and made my husband PROMISE not to buy any more at least untl halloween. Of couse I was a bit restless last night without those glasses lulling me to sleep but I survived. Tonight will be better I was pround of myself that I did not even go over my points looking for something to replace the hand to mouth habit that goes with the wine glass. With the support here I think this is a turning point? anyway you all are great!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #73  

Damn, you people are brave pouring that wine out. The quick shop is only 5 minutes from my house, and they have chilled wine on hand, so not having any on hand is not always an answer for me, but it's pretty expensive and they only sell the smaller bottles, so not that much damage can be done if I get restless as you say.

I think having the limited amount I worked into my plan is best for me although I'm sure my weight loss would be faster if I could cut it out 100%.

Sounds like some of you are also on WW with reference to points so I will add that I am tracking on a weekly basis how many bonus points I have left over, how many points I used for alcohol, and how many activity points I earned, so I can see what worked, and try to improve those ratios.

Mush on!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #74  
Work in Progress

Since I started on ww this week I am also keeping track of the alcholol pts and exercise points. The past three weeks I was calorie counting only to binge and go over my calorie range with the wine. So I am hoping this will curb me. I carry the paper with me everywhere
Old 08-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 222/212/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi All,

Parsp- No morning coffee!? Not even at church? The doughnut and coffee time is the bribe to get my daughter to go.
I cut wine/alcohol out of my last weight loss, I lost alot of weight, probably would have lost more slowly if I'd kept it in, I think it's better to learn to incorporate it into a plan.

Nancy-Good job not eating to take place of the wine.

I've never poured out wine, but as an option I might now.
clayr is offline   Reply With Quote